Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2003

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

Evening folks...
Well, it''s time to plan our first long trip.
The plan is as follows:
3 days heading out
3 days at the destination
3 days back
5 days for Murphy (stuff happens)

We are heading out from Haverstraw NY (August - September).

It looks like our best bet is probably Block Island, and I''m considering a trip along the South shore of Long Island as opposed to the North shore... why? basically "road less traveled" type of stuff...

Keeping in mind that this will be only our third time out, any suggestions would be truly appreciated: best time, best route, stops along the way, other destinations, advice like "what are you nuts?! stick to the sound...", etc.

Regards,
Carlos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2003

Ludlow is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

I would recomend you stay in the Sound. There are plenty of adventures to be had. The south shore of LI is the Atlantic. It''s a long way to go with no good places to duck in in bad conditions. Buy an "Embassy Guide for LI Sound" and a "Waterway Guide". You''ll have a blast going through the city and there a lots of neat places to go in the sound. You could easily fill two weeks without getting to Block, but you''ll love it if you do.
Have fun.
Ed
Old 06-26-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

One thought on choosing to sail up through the Long Island Sound. At the North end, there are some scattered rocks/islands and between some of these is a tidal current called "The Race". I think I''ve read that it''s one of the fastest tidal currents in North America (or at least our area).

Since a strong current can really affect your plotted course, and/or your ability to maneover and given that there are a lot of obstructions around there, I''d plan that section of the course very carefully, to arrive at the time of the least current/best visibility.

The outside route may not offer as many places to stop, and it may be stiffer winds and seas, but it looks relatively clear of shoals after rounding the tip of Long Island.

Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2003

slipacre is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

I am about to leave on a very similar trip (Nyack - points East)and am going up the sound. The south shore will almost certainly require a non stop sail - at least from NY Harbor to fairly far out on the Island. Night sailing can be wonderful but not sure it''s a good idea third time out. The sound, though more crowded, is full of places to stop and is good cruising in its own right. Currents are a big factor (if only on the Hudson) get Eldridge tide and current book if you don''t already have it.
Also remember that the usual south westerlies mean you will have a faster and easier trip out than back. Also try to plan time on Block Island not to be a weekend.
Todd V
Old 07-11-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

We sailed and motored for about 12-14 hours but we actually made it from City Island, NY all the way out to Mattituck Inlet where we spent the night leaving for Newport, RI the next day. The Race is, indeed, a dangerous place. You must go thru at slack tide or on the outgoing tide. If you are inexperienced I would neither undertake night sailing or goto the Atlantic side of Long Island nor wud I approach Block Island at night given the reefs and the narrow cut into Great Salt Pond.
Old 07-15-2003

Bruce Byrnes is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

Carlos:

I sail out of Haverstraw as well. I have found the members of the local yacht club, The Hudson Cove Yacht Club, to be very knowledgeable about cruising the Long Island Sound and cruising to Block Island. Their website is http://www.hudsoncove.com/index.html

They are having a pot luck supper at the Marina on Saturday and, if you are not already a member, consider stopping by and I''m sure you will meet plenty of people who have "been there, done that" with respect to Block Island. I think they even maintain a club mooring at block island.

Best regards,
Bruce
Old 07-16-2003

sailstactics is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

We sail a 36 ft. Catalina MK II out of Guilford, CT. My recomendation is avoid Block Island at all costs ! We just returned from a one week cruise to Martha''s Vineyard with a one night stop over in Block Island on our way back to Guilford. We damaged the rudder on an unmarked obstacle in 6ft of water 50 ft off Paynes fuel dock. $4,000.00 and one week later we were home. My advice, go to Mattituck, Mystic, Newport or Shelter Island. Avoid Block Island at all cost. It''s too crowded and not that nice anyway. There are a lot better and safer places to stop over.
Old 07-17-2003

Block Island trip

Sorry about your Block Island experience. We very briefly hit the bottom off Paine''s dock one year and, hence, dont venture over there any more. We still out of Newport, RI and, while I love it, it can and is crazy crowded in the summer as well. I would argue that while Great Salt Pond is normally crowded, you can hop on a bike, ride out of town, and have a beach almost to yourself on Block. The place that I think trumps all of the above is Nantucket if you want to venture that far. Only place on Block that does not raft and does take reversations is the Boat Basin. Would highly recommend staying there if you can. Getting a mooring is pure luck and I am not a big fan of being rafted 5 deep at Champlin''s or Paine''s as you will have people all over your boat and may subject her to damage.
Old 07-18-2003

CharleyB is on a distinguished road
Block Island trip

I would respectfully disagree with the conclusion that Block Island "is not that nice anyway." It is beautiful, the people are warm and it offers a variety of activities, including convenient white sand beaches and nature walks. I will take your advice, however, and be careful around Payne''s dock.
Old 07-18-2003

Block Island trip

When you cause $4k in damage by hitting an uncharted obstruction I can see that it will really taint your experience. I think Block Island is a beautiful place if you can get away from the throngs of meat-head power boaters on the docks at Champlin''s and Paine''s.