Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2003

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Wind Generators

I''m getting ready to buy a Wind Generator and would like to hear about your experience with them. All contributions will be appreciated. 1. What brand you have. 2. What you would do different. 3. Bad experiences. 4 Good experiences. Who you bought it from, etc. etc. Thanks in advance, Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2003

carisea is on a distinguished road
Wind Generators

Just installed a KISS about 1200 bucks with pole regulator support struts. I can not tell you yet if it is good bad or indifferent cause the wind in Florida is very sporadic in summer. We are going to the Caribbean in January for a couple of years so I will know then. I can say that the KISS is the mother of all wind generators when it comes to size and heavy duty construction. 5 foot dia. blades (3) AC generator no brushes
Old 06-26-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road
Wind Generators

I bought a Rutland 913 mostly because my boat was too small for a larger one and because they are supposed to be quiet. It''s a good unit.

Facts: In the Carib, there is so much wind (ususally), that you may have to shut it down occaisionally. They work where there''s wind.

ALL wind gens make noise when they get crankin''. Mine is very quiet until about 30 knots. At 15 knots it''s not noticeable. By the way, at 35-40 knots it goes into overload mode and freewheels. It spins so fast its downright scary.

The larger the blades, the more power in general. None will make (usable) power in under 10 knots.

Opinion:
I think the Rutland is the best small gen and I would buy only a KISS if I wanted a larger one.

All Air Marines, even new models are noisy. Some incredibly so.

Get a mounting kit with rubber mounts. They cost, but they are stout and help with noise. Be SURE the mounts can''t come loose. This happened to me in 30 knots and rough seas. You wouldn''t believe the noise a spinning gen makes against a backstay (no damage to the Rutland).

Get a good regulator and don''t worry about it.

Make sure the tallest crew member can''t touch a blade with arms up.

Don''t get one unless you really will be in a place to use it. Save your money.

Old 06-26-2003

mcain is on a distinguished road
Wind Generators

There are additional postings on this topic in gear and equipment.
Quick summary--I have a wind bugger. While it is rugged and works, I would not get another one, because of the customer service of the factory, the brushes and the delicate magnets (falling off....).
The Miami boat show this year had a shootout of the various units. Air-X was VERY noise. In theory it was redesigned to be quieter, but if so, they did not succeed. Of the larger units, KISS looked very good. Of the smaller units, in addition to the Rutland, I think the Aerogen 6 gets good press and has a good reputation--especially for being quiet.
I totally concur--mount it very well!
Debate rages about regulators--IMHO, you need a regulator if the total battery capacity is not large. But if you have huge battery banks and don''t leave the boat unattended for long periods of time, they are probably overkill.