Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011

bmjnyc is on a distinguished road
I have Quick Anchor question. Currently the boat has 100’ anchor rode which I imagine is fine for Lake Ontario. I need to have more, I'm thinking I should have 300’ of rode, but I'm not sure how much chain I should have?

Also she currently has a plow anchor, I believe that a Danforth would ideal?
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing the Hudson River NY-dsc_0178.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule. I have heard, and it's what I carry; a foot of chain for every foot of boat length.
Old 05-05-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Danforth anchors do well in the soft mud and even clay of the Hudson river, mostly. When the current changes it could dislodge fairly easily and not re-set. That is why I suggested doing an anchor watch if anchored in the river anywhere near the main channel.

Your home port is Orient Point? Now I am even more jealous! You'll get to do big lake sailing, canal motoring, Hudson river on into the Sound and out to Orient.

There is one pretty safe anchorage I know of on the lower Hudson. If you use google maps and look up 'Bowline Point' you will find a protected bay just south of Haverstraw. Folks also anchor near Croton Point on the east side of the river. It is about 30 nautical miles to The Battery (NYC) from there.

The Tides and Currents website of NOAA is very useful for guidelines of how fast the current might be running up and down the Hudson. Be aware though that heavy rains and strong, consistent winds can also effect the tides and currents on the Hudson.
'Freshets' are small floods caused by either melting snow or heavy rains and cause a more then average down river flow. Winds can also slow the tides and mess with the currents.
The website I linked for you only shows 'predictions'. If the weather is really bad from one direction or the other then all bets are off and you can throw the 'predictions' out the window. It all depends on when you go, what the weather Gods give you and how you accept their offerings.
Not long ago the Mohawk River valley got record rains that messed with the Erie Canal system.
My experience tells me to expect that the 'norm' is mostly the case.
Have fun planning this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmjnyc View Post
I'm new to these boards so I hope my thanks some how reaches everyone. I very excited for this trip. This is my first serious cruise. My end destination will be Orient Point, Long Island where I grew up and learned how to sail. I decided to buy myself a boat for my 40th birthday and to stop putting a dream.

Thanks for the information CalebD, thanks for the tidal info. I feel more reassured that my motor will be able to handle the river. Many Contessa 26's have more powerful Yanmar motors but my feeling is that the little Kubota will do me just fine and perhaps be less problematic. Also I think it will be easier to find parts if needed in the future.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2011

CalebD thanks for tips, I appreciate your advice. I've noted the anchorage spots. Should be and adventure, will start figuring out the NYC to Orient leg next week.
Old 05-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
where are you planning on stepping the mast? I've done his trip a few times in the lst couple years.

I'm still looking into places to step my mast. The few places I've heard of on the Hudson side seem farther north then I'd like. I'm hoping to get the sail up ASAP. Also I need to find a place where I can get help as I've ever stepped a mast using a public crane... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-06-2011

CaptFoolhardy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmjnyc View Post
I'm still looking into places to step my mast. The few places I've heard of on the Hudson side seem farther north then I'd like. I'm hoping to get the sail up ASAP. Also I need to find a place where I can get help as I've ever stepped a mast using a public crane... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I have a friend who does this trip each year. He has used two places in Catskill, Riverview Marine Service and Hop-O-Nose Marine. He said that the cruisers that he spoke to raved about Hop-O-Nose but that he preferred Riverview. They did a very professional job and were less expensive.

Check out this thread on Cruisers Forum for a list of mast stepping/un-stepping places on the Erie Canal.
Old 05-06-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
bm-
When you mention anchoring, be aware that anchoring on the Hudson can be a fatal mistake if you are in an area that barge traffic sometimes swings through. Something like five years ago there was a ruckus over a fellow who had anchored, as I recall not in a marked anchorage area, who was hit and sunk by traffic at night.
So you very much want to be anchored in the shallowest most out-of-the-way place you can find, if you're not in a marina or boat club. And considering how many places there are to tie up, with good food available , anchoring might not be necessary.
Old 05-06-2011
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
Haverstraw marina is a great stop, fuel, docks, supplies, real easy approach and in.When you clear the canal there should be a couple of marinas that do mast step due to the demand there... Red
Old 05-06-2011

LessTacksing is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LessTacksing
Depending when you are leaving the canal is closed mow due to flooding. There is also a huge amount of debris coming out of the canals and floating all over the place this morning.
Old 05-06-2011

I'm planning on leaving June 25, I imagine things will clear up by then. I've heard that one has to keep a careful eye out for debris both and the canal and the hudson.

Thanks for the marina information.