Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011

bmjnyc is on a distinguished road
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on boat insurance? I'm going to ask the broker my family uses for home policy and see what he can do however I've heard good things about BoatUSA. Who do you use?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Boat US will require a haul out survey by one of their approved surveyors.
Progressive will offer liability w/out haul out but premiums are higher.
Boat US offers towing as does towboat , you'll want to check availbility of these services in the area's you will travel.
As to stepping mast,it is very simple and straight forward. You can do-it yourself at Castleton-on-the-hudson boat club for $50.00 there are usually plenty of people around that will help if you ask (other's doing the same,waiting for you !) Also it is a GREAT place to stop after leaving waterford (where you must stop for at least the evening) and the distance is right for making it to Castleton. At castleton you can dock for $1 a foot and they have rest.bar,showers,and laundry within walking,small stores for light provisioning etc. Also a moring ball for $5.00 if you prefer and dinghy in. It's a must stop IMO.
This stop also sets you up for stopping along the way at anchorage spots south. I'd have to check my log book for the other anchorages I've used.
You would be wise to use the tides to your advantage,it goes better.
I often anchor just north of the bridge at Tarrytown and dinghy in to the park/ballfield if I need to go ashore. From there I usually stop West of the statute of liberty on the jersey side and anchor next to the state park,you can pull right up to the launch ramp if you want,but I wouldn't, I just anchor and dinghy in. If weather is poor it's a good spot to wait it out.there is a diner 1/2 block walk.
I'll check the log for other spots I've anchored or docked for free.
Old 05-06-2011

Thanks

joethecobbler, thanks for this info, Castleton in on my list now..Sounds perfect
Old 05-06-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

Beautiful pic BMJNYC

My own co26 was dropped into the water earlier this week and the mast goes up tomorrow morning. The season has started.

If you are traveling the Erie canal are you starting in Buffalo or Oswego?
If Oswego you might be interested to know that Kingston has several options that you might take advantage of, assuming a visit is part of your trip.
1) My understanding is that Confederation Basin harbour(downtown Kingston) has several slips available, for free, for transients.
2) Portsmouth Olympic harbour has a small crane suitable to drop the mast. I understand there is a small charge but much less than state side. This would mean motoring across the lake.

If you would like more details let me know, I can followup. I know nothing about the canal but have lived in and sailed Kingston for most of my live so I may be able to pass on some useful info.

Good luck perhaps you could followup with your experience once done? It is a trip that is in my future, some day when I walk away from my cubicle...

John
Old 05-27-2011

Using Google Maps to trace trip itinerary for blog

Hi, As I mentioned in my earlier posts I'm planning to sail my new boat from Lake Ontario to Orient Point, NY via the Eire Canal.

I would like to keep an online blog of my trip as a active google map that shows my progress similar to this:

BlueJacket Trip Reports for 2006

Would anybody know what the best way to this is?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Just to make sure you know: You will be motoring in the Erie Canal, unless you really like fast tacking and can drop your mast very quickly at each bridge. :-)
Old 05-27-2011

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmjnyc View Post
Hi, As I mentioned in my earlier posts I'm planning to sail my new boat from Lake Ontario to Orient Point, NY via the Eire Canal.

I would like to keep an online blog of my trip as a active google map that shows my progress similar to this:

BlueJacket Trip Reports for 2006

Would anybody know what the best way to this is?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if it is the best way, but, in my opinion, easiest. Invest in SPOT messenger and the device will keep a track of your movements. I believe you will get a page with a map which you can link to any blog.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Another way is uploading your gps track into one of many servers, or just entering coordinates manually.
Old 05-27-2011

Spot

Thanks for this, I've heard of SPOT, will look into it
Old 05-27-2011

jsnaulty is on a distinguished road
Exclamation new york to orient point

i gather you are planning to complete your trip by going from NYC to orient point. you will have two places to really watch the tides- hell gate in the east river (aptly named if you don't figure the tides right) and plum gut at the end of Long Island. Read one of the new england cruising guides to learn how to do these two spots.
Old 05-27-2011

Thanks, I live in Orient Point so very very familiar with Plum Gut, I can see it from my window. As far as Hells Gate, I plan to run with the tides..