Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
first time to the islands

ok, so it''s not realy cruising, but it''s my first overnighter.

I''m going to santa cruz island, single handed.

right now my (relevent) gear is:
200 feet rode, 50 feet chain, 20 lb CQR (for a 20 foot boat)
200 feet rode, 50 feet chain, 5 lb danthford (just in case)

a couple glow sticks in case I have an electric problem.

a new standard horizon vhf handheld with fresh batteries,
gps, full batteries (overkill, it''s 215 out, and 35 back in, straight shot)

and a gallon of gas for the outboard, + the 1/2 gallon it holds in the tank.

and of course, the makings for sandwiches, and a little backpack stove for hot soup. 5 gallons of water, and various munchies, jackets, sleeping bag, towel, blankets, etc.

I''m probibly being paranoid, but on the other hand, I REALY dont want to screw up and not realize it till after dark, 20 miles off, when the winds start to pick up.

so, that sound right?

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2003

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

Two questions. First Are YOU prepared for the trip. Second, do you have enough fuel to motor the entire distance if necesary.
Old 07-09-2003

well, I''ve done day sails and night sails, but the nearest place to anchor is at the islands. so.... I''m not sure what else to do to get ready. I''ve been waiting 6 months on a host of people who were gonna go out there and I could tag along, but in 6 months no ones actualy gone, so... screw em.

er, does that make me ready? I dont know.

Josie can sail in 2 knots real wind. I''ve NEVER used my engine except to enter or leave the dock, or to vear off a lee shore. I have enough gas to go along way, but no, not enough to go both ways. Should I realisticly pack that much gas? Thats alot.

-- James

-- James
Old 07-10-2003

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

You need enough fuel to prevent you from having to enter a strange harbor in the dark should the wind fail you.
Old 07-10-2003

er, if there were a strange harbor, I''d probibly be less worried (diffrently worried?) it''s just my harbor, and about 23 nm if I recall, in a boat that does about 3 knots. if I screw up, its in open water, on on an uninhabited island. :\ but yhea, I get your point. I''ll grab a 5 or 10 gallon can to be sure.

Thanks for the advise.

-- James
Old 07-10-2003

Mclion71 is on a distinguished road

I didn''t see any mention of an anchor light. Do you have one?
Old 07-11-2003

yes, anchor light, motoring light, nav lights, lightstick backups for each, and a couple flashlights with fresh batteries.

-- James
Old 07-14-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road

The old saying is, if you wait until you''re ready to go, you''ll never go at all. So, take reasonable precautions, do what you''re doing here, asking others to review your preparations, then go for it.

I believe in having contingency plans. So, the extra fuel is a good idea in case there is no wind or your rigging fails for some reason (that''s a long way back to paddle a 20 foot boat).

Make sure you know where you''re going to anchor, and what you are likely to encounter as far as holding ground, how much wind the anchorage is likely to get overnight and whether it''s likely to shift directions on you.

Then go for it. You will probably find things that you should have done, after the fact, but that''s how you learn. Just try to plan for the most serious possibilities.
Old 07-14-2003

JeffC_ is on a distinguished road

James,

I''ve been reading your posts with great interest over the last few months. I''m only a couple of leagues ahead of you in sailing experience, but after a summer of daysails (including many of the humiliations that you have so freely shared here) I decided it was time to go.

I went.

I HAD A BLAST!!

I took my C22 three days from Long Beach to Anacappa Island off Oxnard, then an open-water broad reach to Catalina before returning to Long Beach. You can certainly go to Santa Cruz and back.
I got most things right, and learned a lot. The few things I didn''t get right weren''t a big deal. Ex: the first large swells showed me how poorly I"d stowed my gear in the cabin when I heeled over hard and everything went flying to the leeward hull. So I learned. Make sure <em>everything</em> is strapped down with yards of shock cord, that your house battery is securely strapped down & fuel containers are strapped down and will not topple and leak (are the air vents closed?).

If your course is simple, and it''s a single overnight stay, I say you''re ready to go. You must be, or you wouldn''t be yearning so.

I think a gallon of water a day to drink and cook with is adequate, but I took too much on my first "cruise," and it was reassuring knowing it was there: if 5 gal. feels good, carry it.

I think you have enough gasoline already. Just remember, you''ll go a lot farther at 1/3 throttle than you will at 2/3 throttle. For Santa Cruz, I''d be more concerned about fog than no wind.

My big fear was anchoring, because I''d never done it before, but with a little boat and light overnight breezes and currents, my confidence grew quickly. You even have back-up tackle: you''ll sleep sounder.

A few things I didn''t see you mention<ol><li>tools and spare rigging parts (turnbuckles, clevis pins, screws, electrical connectors, etc.)<li>ice (or do you care?)<li> a cruising guide can be an invaluable source for protected, calm anchorages, shoal water, private property, sights of interest, etc. I''d strongly advise using one, along with<li> a chart of the area you''ll be sailing (why not develop your piloting skills by recognizing and using landmarks, taking bearings, etc.?</ol>

My sense of accomplishment soared.

Make sure to tell us how great it was!
Old 07-28-2003

Did it... Kinda.

BTW, where on Anacapa did you anchor? I was at Frenchies, and it sucked.

didnt bring anything that needed to be refrigerated, so didnt need any ice.

it was perfect going out. about 10-12 knots, and coming in (at night) was about 15-17ish.

So here''s the story.

Brought along a first timer, as he was the only one who had the time. I took us out of the harbor, then stuck him on the tiller, and spent about 2 hours with him going over the course we wanted (which happened to be directly upwind) and how he could just point to the bottom of anacapa and we could run close reaching, keep speed, and not risk going into irons.

We left REALY late after a broken cell phone etc, and eneded up about 3 miles off the southern point of Anacapa a little before sundown, so decided to go to Frenchies instead. Anchor stuck at the first attempt. (I love carrying a 25 lb danforth on a 19'' boat ) and I went to grab some shut eye. At 9 pm he decided he couldnt hang, so we we came back in at night. (MAN, at night, tankers seem to move alot faster. spooky) and I''m happy to say that by dead reconing alone (couldnt read the compas in the dark, and my GPS was sitting safly at home on my bed ) I brought us back to about 100 yards away from the entrance to our harbor. (the coast also looks alot diffrent at night!

So, it was fun, I learned alot, got a chance to put in a reef in real world conditions (I need to change some of that gear around.) and I am now making some changes to the boat to make her better for this type of stuff in the future. I am seriously considering a roller reefing head sail, wind vane, etc.

Thanks for the help and the advice. see you guys out there. Later this week I''m either going to take someone with some experience, or go single handed, and see if I can actualy make it to Santa Cruz as originaly intended, although I''m a bit spooked for single handed anchoring. (even though thats pretty much what I was doing this time.... hrm...)

I''ll let you know how it goes.

-- James