Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
St Augustine, Miami, - where to head to live aboard?

I was cruising down the ICW from CT and my engine blew up around Hilton Head Island, SC. I've found people have a great attitude toward liveaboards here and are friendly. Its a pretty sweet place possibly the best I've had my boat at since I bought her. I was originally planning to go to St Augustine and try living there for a while till Hurricane season was over as I heard they rarely get hit. Then I was going to try living aboard in Miami for a while hopefully anchored around Key Biscayne somewhere. I usually need at least one crew to move the boat and the guy who was crewing with me wants to know when we're heading South again.

My questions are: what sort of attitude do people in St Augustine have toward cruisers? Are there free places to anchor and is it cool to leave a dinghy on the beach somewhere?

Are there nice places to Anchor around Miami where living on the hook for free or very cheap is feasible or has it turned into an over regulated nasty scene? If I'm going to pay per day it better be a slip I find the concept of paying to anchor extremely ridiculous. When I google anchoring near Miami I run into sites asking 15 a night just to anchor which makes me want to just stay at Hilton Head Island till I'm ready to see the bahamas...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
I must add that I'm in Miami right now and the boat is docked in SC because my girlfriend lives in Miami so having the boat anywhere where shes not might be like not having a boat. I can be away from her for a few weeks - a month at a time I guess but its not much fun and I find myself gunning the boat toward Miami to visit her...
Old 05-26-2011

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
This is based on my last pass thru St Aug. Heading south mid Feb 2011 and north early May 2011. The anchorage south of the Bridge of Lions is almost all mooring balls. I stopped and moored on the way south and the staff was friendly and helpful. 22$/ night I think. I anchored several miles south of St Aug on the way north but the anchorage is crowded with the boats they removed to clear the area for the mooring field. I recognized many of them from previous trips. Dinghy access?? Can not say much about Miami as I did not go that far south this trip, turned left at Lake Worth. Sounds like you have a good set up at HH. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 05-26-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i think beaufort s.c. still has a free anchorage and dingy dock and its right in downtown as for your engine you might try peter gamble at marsh harbor boatyard on lady's island
Old 05-29-2011

SAMUELBURNS is on a distinguished road
St. Lucie river hurricane hole

M-777: For good hurricane protection, you have to get inland. Stuart, FL in St. Lucie County, at entrance to the St. Lucie canal which goes to Lake Okeechobee, is good place to look. The problem with Miami is that the draw bridges are locked down days before arrival of a new hurricane, so you cannot go up Miami River without dropping the mast..........and it's a tiny river at that.
[Samuel Burns C309 Alameda, CA ]
Old 05-29-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I would vote for Stuart but check on the anchoring situation there first as they have had a go at "liveaboards".
Old 05-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Have you checked out Vero Beach (a.k.a. "Velcro" Beach, where cruisers stick around longer than they'd planned)? Moorings $15/day, free public buses to grocery stores, West Marine, library, etc. Great liveaboard community.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-31-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Yeah, Vero Beach, Titusville, Saint Johns River....there are some great Florida liveaboard places
Old 06-04-2011

MarioG is on a distinguished road
We just Miami and will be hanging out near Myrtle Beach Sc for a short time, so know the areas well. There is a great state park in N.Miami near FSU campus that you can drop anchor for free and because the park gets locked down at night feel very safe. It does cost $2 to re-enter the park if you need to go for previsions or pay for a year pass which is cheap.

There is a marina store near for ice and fuel,water by dingy a walk out the park and you are at a few shopping plazas, and Win dixie were you can jump a free shuttle to anything and everything you could need.

There is also a park behind West Marine that is free if you walk/bike in or out.

(Is this going to make me learn not to give out great anchorages)

Getting around i