Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Though biased, I have to admit I like my Ontario 32. The only change I would make to it would be to carry the beam back further (but hey, it's an '84 and they didn't really do that then).

It has 6'4" headroom, from the companionway to v-berth. 72 gals of water, w/hot water heater. More storage than I've been able to fill ... so far. And sails well. A bit bigger engine (it only has a 13hp) would be nice, but not essential.

It was designed by C&C to be an ICW, Bahamas, Coastal Cruiser and it does it well. Small enough for me to man-handle, yet big enough to let me stretch out. And it has good ventilation.

To me, the hardest part of finding a boat is knowing, for sure, how you want to use it. Not what you might do, but what you realistically WILL do. I knew I'd be happy as a coastal cruiser, so I didn't need a "bluewater" boat. So I looked for a boat suited to what I'd do.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Dean,

You may find this blog helpful: Simply Sailing Online.

They sail in a 34 foot cutter rig in the Virgin Islands, and the author speaks often about how they provisioned Eurisko, and how they have managed over more than nine years. Originally, they had five people -- the parents and three boys in the boat, and they managed quite well.
Old 05-30-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
One way to plan what you really need to move aboard, something we call "shopping at our house": take everything (EVERY THING) out of your kitchen cabinets and put it in the basement. Then, live your normal life. When you need something, go downstairs and get it. Sooner or later, a few weeks or a month into the project, you'll decide to use a chef's knife instead of going downstairs to get the super-special-tomato-slicer-gizmo that you discovered in an infomercial... at that point you'll have separated your posssessions - you'll have a kitchen full of things you really use, and a basement full of things to sell on ebay or donate or give away. Repeat the process with your clothing, tools, whatever, and you'll be well on your way to moving aboard!
We don't plan on living aboard, but we are cursed with far too much stuff. I bet I (we) could use this method in our house and really get rid of lots of things so our relatively small house would seem a lot bigger. Thanks for the idea!
Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Good point

John, you bring up a very important point in my search. At many points I have read that one of the most important things to consider when choosing a boat is to decide where you want to sail. I didn't mention it in my first post but I do intend to cross oceans. Yes, I do intend to explore the coastal US. I also intend to experience the entire length of the Carribean. I also want to visit Europe from Norway to the Med and eventually head to the Pacific.

While in the Navy I had the pleasure of experiencing the sea from within 200 miles of Antarctica to above the Arctic circle in the Bering sea, the western Atlantic, around the horn, and into the Pacific and Indian oceans on an aircraft carrier. Now I want to experience those places on my own vessel and to go to places that carriers don't go. I do intend to stay relatively close to the Chesapeake while I learn, get to know my boat, and to gain offshore experience but I fully intend to voyage as master of my own boat. I definitely need something built to take punishment. Speed is not so important to me as strength and safety when the weather gets rough. I was on the USS Carl Vinson when her stem was buckled from hitting a wave during a typhoon and recall watching waves break over the flight deck a full 80' above her waterline. That was one hell of an experience!

Arknoah, thanks for the link! I checked it out briefly and yes, it is definitely helpful. I will be reading it more in depth later today.

Thank you both for the input!

Last edited by Dean101; 05-30-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Another thing you don't mention is the old bugagoo called money. Depending on your situation financially, you might want to consider a relatively inexpensive coastal cruiser to start, then, once you know, first hand, what you need, want, AND what it will take to maintain your lifestyle, you can move up to a bluewater boat.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Yeah, no matter what, we all have to have a certain amount of money! That was one of the reasons I mentioned needing room for my tools. My reasoning is that since I am a carpenter and concrete finisher by trade, I can find work requiring those skills in order to refill the kitty when I need to. I would like to write also, although I have very little experience with it. The truth is that I don't require a lot of money to feel happy.

I've noticed over the years that no matter how much money I bring home, my standard of living seems to keep pace. I am now consciously in the process of breaking that routine by drastically reducing my expenses while at the same time maximizing my income. I will be paying off all my debt, ditching the credit cards, living on my boat (when I buy one), and start living a much simpler life. I have read where people cruise on $500 to $1000 a month. I'm currently bringing home $650 to over $900 a week, depending on weather and work schedules. I figure if I can get the house sold I can pay off all my debt and save enough for a used boat at a reasonable cost within 2-3 years. If I continue to work while taking sailing classes, another year will get me pretty close to taking extended trips with experienced offshore sailors as crew. Another year of saving should leave me with enough to start my journey.

I don't want to wait till I have "enough" because I would then never leave the marina. Most of my friends ask me where I'm going to find the money to do this. Hell, they think I'm nuts for wanting it to begin with. I think they have pictures of wild parties at exotic marina resorts on megayachts! My visions are of a small boat swinging on her anchor off a pristine beach and me sipping cheap rum in my hammock swinging between 2 palm trees!
Old 05-30-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You can alway move up in size, and to a stronger boat. The important thing is learning to handle the boat in al conditions. I lived on a 30ft. Columbia for years, and cruised her too. There was very little on the boat, and could sail with the time it took to slip the lines.

I now sail a 46ft. cat. Mostly it is wasted space until family, and friends show up. Which was often when we were cruising. Think about the space you need, and then a wee bit more, so you have something to grow into as life changes. The good news is your camping, and kayaking lifestyle is a big jump in the right direction for your transition........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

I was 3 years out when I made the decision to liveaboard. What I started doing at that time was buying nothing, unless necessary, that wouldn't be going on the boat. Also, paying off debt, and not buying anything on credit.

The early model Niagara 35's have the v-berth set up as a work space, by the by.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
I haven't seen the minimum length requirement for liveaboards in marinas here (Chesapeake/SE US coast) but have seen them in San Diego. BTW, if you can find one, add CSY 33 to your shopping list (photo in my sig); similar type to the boats you mentioned, lots of headroom, traditional look, and killer U-shaped galley.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Thanks for the tip i2f! I'm pretty adaptable and can certainly pack enough stuff in my kayak to stay gone for a lot longer than a week. The problem lies in the fact that the longer I'm out there, the less I really want to come back!

Your advice about allowing just a wee bit more space for additions to the crew sounds good. I just don't want to fall back into the habit of collecting things I'll probably never use. I have thought about joining PRA (Pack Rats Anonymous) for help with that.

John, I'm already following your example of not buying on credit or buying eye candy. I think that credit is a serious trap that's easy to fall into. I will not be buying a boat until I can pay cash. I'm sick and tired of debt.

Does anybody have any regrets about moving aboard?