Dean101 is on a distinguished road
I'll check out the CSY 33. Thanks wNw!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post

Does anybody have any regrets about moving aboard?
Just that we didn't do it sooner LOL!

think about this; We've saved vast amounts of money not having a house or land-based playthings. It may not be necessary to wait until all your debt is paid off if your situation is such that you can keep your existing job while moving from land to a marina-based boat and then paying down your bills at a faster rate. Just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arknoah View Post
We don't plan on living aboard, but we are cursed with far too much stuff. I bet I (we) could use this method in our house and really get rid of lots of things so our relatively small house would seem a lot bigger. Thanks for the idea!
Ark, you're welcome! Husband Dan (the other "wing" of wingNwing) used to have a kitchen design/remodel business. This was the advice he used to give clients who came to him for storage issues, before he started their new designs.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

That's a good point and one that I have seriously considered. I live in Kentucky right now and have allowed for the possibility of finding a good deal on a potential boat. I could keep her on Kentucky lake, which is fairly large, and live aboard while I continue to pay off debt and save. They offer classes at one of the marinas there but only for basic keel boat. I haven't seen anyhing offered for heavy weather, offshore, navigation, etc.

I can relate to your opinion that you wish you had moved aboard sooner. I've noticed that many people on here have that same opinion. I know I wish I had made this decision sooner...
Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
No regrets here. Just wish I'd had more money at the time so I didn't have to stop and work for a while.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
No regrets here. Just wish I'd had more money at the time so I didn't have to stop and work for a while.
HA HA! John, that statement says it all! I know I sound a little dismissive about money sometimes but I do understand what you're saying about the money issue. I think when it's all said and done, I will probably spend more than I planned just to get ready for my adventure. But I have made up my mind that it WILL happen. I'm flexible about time-frames, how and when I gain experience, where I move to when I get closer to the time, even whether or not I will have a special someone aboard when I leave. But leave I will. I'm committed to this dream.

I know there will be times I will wonder what the hell am I doing out here. I will go through weather that will scare the crap out of me. I'll probably say a thousand prayers when I see a giant wave coming at me off the beam. I'll cuss in languages nobody has heard of when I just can't get an anchor unstuck or the batteries go. But, all the fond memories I have of past adventures have one common thread. Not a single one of them was easy or without pain. I am definitely not going into this with my head full of cotton balls.

I'm learning everything I can from books, from online forums, any way I can. People like yourself, who take the time to answer questions from the inexperienced, go a long way in helping us newbies realize our goals and it is greatly appreciated.
DavidB.UK likes this.
Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
What I did, since I had a good sum of money when I retired, was spend it on the boat (no plans on getting a different boat later). If it needed repaired, but was marginal, then I got new. If it had life in it (10-15 years) then I repaired. Easier to spend the money when you have it, then to have to come up with it later.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

I guess that's the main reason for looking so hard at finding the right boat for me. I really don't want to buy something to learn on only to sell it later. I would rather buy something close to what I need and adapt myself to it. The mentality of boat size and my own tendency to look at ever larger boats prompted me to start this thread to begin with.

I really don't think I need to look at boats over 37'. Many of the boats I've looked at are that length or shorter and seem to have all the room I really need. I think it's the fact that American society seems to condition one to the "more, more, more" attitude.
Old 05-30-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
You can definately find a boat to make you happy under 37ft. & in this economy there are some reasl deals out there. A 41 Choy Lee that was pristine just went for $14,000. That's an exceptional deal, but there are lots around. Just keep cruising yachtworld.com, and like sites, and don't be afraid to lowball.........i2f

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Soft Air

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 06-11-2012

picomar is on a distinguished road
Add Content