Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011

vagabondette is on a distinguished road
Does this sound like a realistic plan?

I have a plan in my head and I'm entering the research phase but before I dig in too much and potentially go down a wrong path, I'd like feedback from some experts and perhaps a smack upside the head with a "what, are you crazy woman?!" if there's something totally unrealistic.

First, I have limited sailing experience. I've done bay/river sailing/racing on 17-21' boats and never alone. When I start this journey I'll be flying solo so I thought I'd take a week or two and do a crash-course live-aboard training sail to get the basics and then teach myself from there. I've also considered heading down to Rio Dulce and seeing if I can hitch a ride for a while to get some additional experience.

I intend to purchase a boat in about the 26-28' range for my live aboard which I feel will suit me in size while not being *TOO* hard to sail alone while I'm learning. For the first 2-3 years I intend to do coastal cruising up and down North and South America and into the Caribbean which I feel like a boat of this size can easily handle. I figure 2-3 years will give me the experience I need/want to do a deep-water crossing. Whether I do that in my existing boat or upgrade will depend on the boat. One thing I considered with a smaller boat is the possibility of crossing in the N atlantic from Canada to Greenland to Iceland to the UK which would get me over to Europe without doing an extended deep-water crossing but I don't even know if that's possible in a boat like what I'll probably have...

My budget for my initial purchase is $20k which I intend to cover the boat itself and any refit. As per suggestions I read here, I plan on getting the most seaworthy boat I can get even if it's lacking in bells and whistles and then sailing it for a while and adding equipment as I need it rather than cramming it full from day 1 and potentially getting stuff I don't need or the wrong stuff.

So, given all that information, does it seem like my plan is realistic or is there a big gap that I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks for any feedback!

Oh, if it matters, I'm a female and I'll be about 39 when I buy my boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
It sounds to me like you have a reasonable plan. I'm not an old pro at sailing but I too am looking to voyage. From what I've seen of boat prices and judging from what others say on refitting, $20,000 may be a little low for doing both. But, then again, if you upgrade and refit as you go, doing a little at a time, I can see where that is do-able. I can't see where your gender would matter at all. It's the stuff you're made of that counts.

What type of traveling have you been doing, if it's not too forward of me to ask?
Old 05-30-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Smart move on the size pick. Just met a singlehander who came across the Atlantic in a 31 footer and blogged about that here. In your price range you'll have to be very discriminating in what you prioritze in your refit. (Examples: you don't 'need' an electric windlass, on a boat that size you can lift the anchor by hand. A kayak can serve as your dinghy instead of an inflatable plus outboard engine. Etc.) The 1-week liveaboard / learn-to-sail crash course will jumpstart your education and your plan, but will be pricey. Maybe there's another option for you - any friends or boatyard acquaintances whose brains you can pick? Read books, ask questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One thing I can tell both of you, it WILL take more money than you think. Not a lot necessarily, but more than you think.

Also, whatever the plan, it has to be one you're comfortable with.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Oh, and for that size, check out the Pearson 28-2. The -2 is a specific model.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Plans can have a way of changing, life sometimes simply unfolds...a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.....and all that philosophical stuff..

$20,000 seems a little lite..but it's a place to start as you research what's out there that's potentially capable of doing what you want to do.
Sailing magazine, just did an article on the Pacific Seacraft Flickas....here's one.. 1981 Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 sailboat for sale in

After you find a sound vessel the rest is up to you..anything is possible!
Gender is a non-issue imo.

I think the only gap might be whether or not single handed blue water sailing is a nice dream...or will it become a reality for you. If you've never sailed alone...and have never left sight of land alone on your own vessel the reality of that experience may offer a new or different perspective, or it may re-affirm your goals.

I might continue on your plan of gaining more experience in a livaboard training environment, then follow your thought of hitching a ride on an offshore trip or trips with an experienced crew....Then decide if your plan is reasonable for you before making a purchase.

Boats in that price range capable of blue water cruising can eat up savings accounts in repairs and maintenance before you leave the dock. I'm not saying your plan is unrealistic; rather, just continue your research, obtain more experience and kick a lot of tires...while you do that.

Last edited by Tempest; 05-30-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2011

vagabondette is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to be clear, I'm not planning on using this boat for deep-water. If/when I do that it's very likely I'll upgrade to a larger, more appropriate boat. That will be several years down the road.

I'm a bit surprised that so many are saying $20k is low for a used boat in that size range. I've been trolling the sales sites and I'm seeing a lot in that size-range in the $10k price range. We'll see when I start looking more closely. I do know that I don't plan on doing a full refit right away but will do things as I need them. I'll be earning income along the way so the $20k is just an entry point. My current income is about $1400 a month which is 3 times what I need and I anticipate it'll be double that by the end of the year which will give me plenty of extra.

@ Dean, I've been "backpacking" for over 2 years. I put backpacking in quotes because what started out as a traditional backpacking trip has pretty much turned into me living in Mexico. But I still use a backpack so...
Old 05-30-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

It isn't the purchase price, it's what comes after, where the money starts flowing. And sometimes it's better to spend more to buy, to lessen the "what needs done" after the purchase.

That isn't meant to discourage you, just my experience.

On the plus side, you're thinking about the basics, and not just the "fun".

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
I agree with John. From everything I've read so far the general concensus is that refitting a boat can cost much more than you think, even more than the purchase price, depending on what's wrong to begin with.

I asked about your travels because I use to do a great deal of hiking in the mountains and deserts of southern California. I absolutely loved it! The only cure for a roving foot is more of the same! Good luck in your search for your boat as well as pursuing your adventures!
Old 06-01-2011
Yarr!

Sailmon is on a distinguished road
Right on! But easy now...

What you're saying isn't impossible. There are ways to go about it and ways to throw money away, not to mention get in to trouble. For starters i would say don't be one of those people who disregards just how little our oceans care about you. A great number of people have lost their lives foolheartedly chasing their dreams of sailing the world. Now that the scary part of sailing is said...

Start with a good boat. Make a short list and wait poised like a cat to pounce on a good one because you...learned, read, then read some more. Not only about what makes a good boat, what keeps a boat maintained, how to manage a cruise, navigate, work a radio, and of course how to keep her afloat. It's estimated you need 1000 hours to become competent at anything, 100,000 hours to master it.

Be prepared to pay. Someone gave me a pretty good estimate, key word being estimate that you can spend roughly half of the value of your boat fixing her up. Buying a boat that's fixed up may be your gig, but other than the odd deal now and again, you're looking at paying more and spending less on gear, etc. Weighing those variables and foreseeing all those hidden expenses becomes nearly impossible. I can attest with a stack of West Marine receipts just how hidden those costs can be.

Then i would have to suggest taking a good look at avoiding going solo. Singlehanding is arguably extremely dangerous, especially for someone who could stand to log some miles. Way more than having crew or at least another hand. You may just want to start crewing. Either that or like you said, hit up a school and spend some time in classes. Either way jumping out there without the knowledge to get you there safely is pretty scary stuff.

As for me..it's awesome our similarities. I am 38, male to be exact, and i am pretty much in your shoes several months, if not years later. I have just purchased a 1978 Morgan 382 and am in the process of refitting her and getting her ready to cruise. She's quite a bit bigger than your idea but it's what i figured would keep me sailing for the long-haul without giving up too many comforts. I waited...& when the time was right i paid $15k for her and she's a gem.

All this stuff is just what i've learned over the last 6 years getting ready. I would say go hang out at the docks, yacht clubs, and sailing events until you catch a groove. You will most certainly find one as people in the sailing community are usually truly helpful people.

Chris

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.