Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011
Man overboard

Caleuche is on a distinguished road
Cruising the pacific...eastwards?

Still new to the forum, so forgive me if this isnt posted in the right section.
I'm planning to start cruising in a year or so, currently busy in south east Asia.
I have enjoyed reading the experiences of other cruisers in the area and would love to cruise the pacific towards south and central America.

My concern is however the prevailing winds and currents, is a trip eastwards really doable and what would be the route we need to take ? Would like to stay out of the 40 and 50 degrees and skip the cyclone season, so what would be my best options ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Suggest you get hold of Cornell's book, World Cruising Routes. It will tell you where you can go and when you can go there. To go west you have to out of the trade wind belt, either north or south. It is possible, but much harder, and weather not as nice as going west in the trades.
Old 06-08-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yes to what KS says. Rule of thumb is to cross Pacific east to west, coconut run and all that. Keeping in the TWB and heading east is going to be a long hard slog.

Other alternative is to head north from Singapore to Japan and do northerly crossing to Aleutians and down into PNW America. Would be quite an experience, not for the faint hearted and by no means tropical conditions.

Of course if you intend only cruising towards America and not actually going all the way then its not such a problem. Many Australians and New Zealanders to a Pacific loop which will entail windward work for some of the way but can be relatively benign. (provided you don;t run into another Queen's Birthday storm.)

Off the topic - KS, you likely to get as far south as Sydney ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-14-2011

EalyPA21 is on a distinguished road
I agree with TDW

Old 06-29-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Another Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleuche View Post
Still new to the forum, so forgive me if this isnt posted in the right section.
I'm planning to start cruising in a year or so, currently busy in south east Asia.
I have enjoyed reading the experiences of other cruisers in the area and would love to cruise the pacific towards south and central America.

My concern is however the prevailing winds and currents, is a trip eastwards really doable and what would be the route we need to take ? Would like to stay out of the 40 and 50 degrees and skip the cyclone season, so what would be my best options ?
Since you are in SE, why not cruise up the So. China Sea from Singapore, stop in Tioman Island, then make your way up to Malaysian Borneo, cruise Sarawak, Brunei, Sabah. Great cruising grounds, very few cruisers, friendly people, excellent provisioning and plenty of duty free ports. In late October you can make your way up to the Philippines. Excellent cruising in Palawan. What cruising was like in the Pacific 30 years ago. Also in October or March you could go further Eastwards to Pulau. Then you are back in the heart of the Pacific. Plenty to see and do, right in your backyard. We just finished up a year in Boreno and the Philippines. Most excellent!
Old 06-29-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Since you are in SE, why not cruise up the So. China Sea from Singapore, stop in Tioman Island, then make your way up to Malaysian Borneo, cruise Sarawak, Brunei, Sabah. Great cruising grounds, very few cruisers, friendly people, excellent provisioning and plenty of duty free ports. In late October you can make your way up to the Philippines. Excellent cruising in Palawan. What cruising was like in the Pacific 30 years ago. Also in October or March you could go further Eastwards to Pulau. Then you are back in the heart of the Pacific. Plenty to see and do, right in your backyard. We just finished up a year in Boreno and the Philippines. Most excellent!
Sounds like a plan ...

Aeventyr60, welcome to SailNet btw. You have any pics of your travels on line ? That really does sound as you say, a most excellent trip.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 06-29-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Cruising Borneo & Philippines

No pics online, but can answer any question you have about our voyage.
Old 07-02-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Summer in Brisbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
storm.)

Off the topic - KS, you likely to get as far south as Sydney ?
Our plans are to keep the boat in Brisbane but we will be doing some landcruising in both Oz and NZ and certainly Sydney is on the list. We have not made any plans as to timing though other than to arrive in Australia at the beginning of September since we have to go back to Canada for a wedding.
Old 07-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

aeventyr60 - thanks. I've been on boat for the weekend but will throw some questions at you shortly.

Killarney ... not sure if we will be in sydney September but probably so. If you feel like it, drop me a line closer to your visit and we'll catch up. Best way to see Sydney is from the water.

Old 07-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
No pics online, but can answer any question you have about our voyage.
We really should take this to a new thread but I'd love to discuss Tioman, Palawan and Borneo.

To be frank, I'm not obessed with the tropics but Malaysia fascinates me (especially the food ) .

(yes I know Palawan is in Phillipines)

Also , you route from Palawan into the Pacific proper.

Last edited by tdw; 07-04-2011 at 11:24 PM.