Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011

cbtucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
What's a typical morning at anchorage like?

For us dirt-dwellers wanting to live vicariously through you all until we can make the break; what does a typical morning at anchorage consist of for you?
Ok - so maybe there isn't a typical day, but we'll just take today then. What did you do this morning? Chores? A nice leisurely breakfast, some snorkeling, exploring?

Thanks and good sailing to you and yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 man on a mission to live the dream!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
First thing we do each morning is to look out the porthole and see if we're in the same place we were the night before, then put on the coffee, row the dog ashore to water the brush, come back eat breakfast, wash up the breakfast dishes and then it's chores and/or play. We both really like snorkeling if we're where the water is warm, otherwise it's hiking, reading books or other things that we also like to do when we're back home on a weekend.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Coffee, a crossword on deck as the sun warms the bay, eventually some breakfast and we face the day....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-28-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
First, like Erps, I'll check our position along with any other boats anchored near us, then it's the coffee ritual until the dog can't/won't be ignored any longer. Row to shore and a little exploring while he does his business, maybe a bit of exploring along the shore on the way back to the boat and then it's either time to weigh anchor if we are moving or if not, decide on the days activities. Generally, waking up in a nice secure anchorage is one of my all time favorite things.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-28-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
First, like Erps, I'll check our position along with any other boats anchored near us, then it's the coffee ritual until the dog can't/won't be ignored any longer. Row to shore and a little exploring while he does his business, maybe a bit of exploring along the shore on the way back to the boat and then it's either time to weigh anchor if we are moving or if not, decide on the days activities. Generally, waking up in a nice secure anchorage is one of my all time favorite things.
Ditto, minus the coffee(we are not coffee drinkers). Instead of making coffee, we make whoopee Saves water and gas!

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-28-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
The part I can never get over is the feeling of looking through the portlights and not seeing a dock on either side.

Then it's time to fill the cabin with the smell of bacon and eggs frying, which my crew depends in place of an alarm clock.

The magic lasts until I go and sit on a dewy cockpit bench and switch to another spot only to remember that everything is dewy.
Old 06-28-2011
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
This time of year includes daily weather checks. Watching out for that next big storm coming over the horizon...Planning future maintenance,including that long postponned varnish project. wonder about the rigging and when to schedule that major replacement task. Then over the side to clean the bottom yet again. Mentally check the diesel level, and the water tanks, and plan a run to empty the holding tank. Plan on when to run the water maker today. Listen to the chatter on the local net. Listen to Chris Parker. Ponder about the latest electrical problem and when to do the next haul out and where. Clean up the interior after breakfast. Plan a run to the nearest West Marine or independent boat store. Go pay the mooring fees. Drop the mooring line or raise the anchor and go some where. Maybe or maybe not.
Old 06-28-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
On the Great Lakes, (I see you are from Ohio) it is pretty much the same. However, depending on where you are usually no snokeling.
Our mornings are for relaxing and enjoying a nice cup of coffee in the cockpit and of course my favorite Julie's Famous Fried Egg-n-Cheese Sandwich.
Than we simply enjoy the view.
After we are done relaxing, it is time to decide if we are going to haul the anchor, stay put for a day, or which stop to make our next destination of the day.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-28-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
We are not cruising yet but we are living aboard in a marina. Still, I wake up, sit up in the bed, look out through the port light and I smile and try to remember what I did in my life to be so lucky. Just seeing the sea unobstructed is enough to make me feel good.
Old 06-28-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapadeCaliber40LRC View Post
This time of year includes daily weather checks. Watching out for that next big storm coming over the horizon...Planning future maintenance,including that long postponned varnish project. wonder about the rigging and when to schedule that major replacement task. Then over the side to clean the bottom yet again. Mentally check the diesel level, and the water tanks, and plan a run to empty the holding tank. Plan on when to run the water maker today. Listen to the chatter on the local net. Listen to Chris Parker. Ponder about the latest electrical problem and when to do the next haul out and where. Clean up the interior after breakfast. Plan a run to the nearest West Marine or independent boat store. Go pay the mooring fees. Drop the mooring line or raise the anchor and go some where. Maybe or maybe not.
The zen of cruising. No specific plan.

-----------------------------------------------------