Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Norcold Refrigerator Conversion

I installed the Norcold kit the other day and it seems to work very well. When I keep things really close to the plate, they will stay frozen or freeze at about half the temperature setting on the dial.

Does anyone have any experience with the Norcold conversion kit and cruising?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Here is a brief as to how I installed the unit:
Sailing Vessel Footprints ¬Ľ Blog Archive Ľ Installing the Norcold Refrigeration Conversion Kit

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 07-13-2011

jaredko is on a distinguished road
Looks good. Nice writeup. I have the same Norcold unit that was installed by the previous owner. I Believe it is about 6 years old and works great!

I did have an issue that started a few weeks ago where the compressor would run only sporadically and not work as well as it used to. Traced the problem to corrosion in the electrical connection between the cold plate thermister and the compressor. After redoing that connection, it's running like new again.
Old 07-13-2011
Crotchety Old Member

Thanks!

Good to hear that you've had a good experience with the Norcold. I've read mostly good reviews. Have you been able to freeze food close to the plate?

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 07-19-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
How appreciated.marc is it working with the 10 cuft?Am planning on installing in a 7.5 any opions would be
Old 07-19-2011
Crotchety Old Member

First of all Norcold was probably pretty accurate by limiting the unit to six square foot. Although ours really cools the (10 sq ft) ice box, it has to run constantly. My box has a ridge all the way around about half way up that is for a shelf. I'm going to section off the lower half by installing a Plexiglas sheet with a door in it for that shelf. Then I can use the upper half as a cooler area for fruits and veggies. I also installed a small computer fan to circulate the air.

Advice would be to make sure that you have a ventilated area where you install the compressor. Mine doesn't get hot, but it does run warm and it needs to shed the heat. I installed it under the galley sink. I have a small fan on top of the compressor and another that brings cooler air from the bilge into that cabinet. The fans are so cheap (about $4) and they only use about a tenth of an amp to run, that they are worth it. Set aside about six hours for the entire job and plan things out before you cut or drill.

I know most of this is common sense and you probably already thought of it, but maybe it will help a bit. If I think of anything else I'll reply again.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

Old 07-19-2011

Thank you for data,will also install under sink.Looked can divide mine also.mar
Old 10-10-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Cold air

Tom, I added a length of flexible aluminum ducting to the fan This sucks air from bottom to top or end to end depending on on placement of cold plate.Mine runs all the time freezer is on but easy to make go with compressor only.Made a big difference.Capt Len on the Thane
Old 10-11-2011

I ended up using a dometic unit & am pleased.Added 2 small computer fans under sink,usually run one.Only problem if overloaded will freeze up coils.marc
Old 10-15-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
anyone else had experience with the Norcold units? The price is so much less than others it makes it very tempting...

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.