Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011

cbtucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
Is there anything you miss?

Yep - it's another one of the dirt-dweller's topics! Stop your groaning - you know you like seeing my questions come up

So anyways - is there anything that you liveaboards, or long term cruisers miss about your life on land? I've heard plenty about what makes life on board great. And it stokes my desire to shorten my timeframe dramatically. But I wonder if there's anything you miss about living on land?

As always - thanks for each and every response!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 man on a mission to live the dream!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Being able to communicate with the locals. Our Spanish is growing, but impatience is something we experience, and occassionally we get dismissed.

Also having my own wheels to get around, and run errands. Seeking boat parts, food, and just waiting on buses is trying at times. The exhaust smog here is horrendous.

I miss nothing from the house. I actually enjoy the fact I am no longer tied to it. I owned a muffler shop before we left. I miss having access to all the tools. I did turn my trailer into a wood working shop at the marina though & I do have a 5ft. X 10ft. workshop on the boat. It could be worse........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 07-13-2011

serenity440 is on a distinguished road
Availability and quality of facilities differ everywhere you go. When I am anchored out I miss hot showers I have hot water on board but of course without proper facilities on land you are limited to military showers and always conserving water and fuel.

Depending on individual marinas you can have this challenge resolved since there are usually showers on shore, but again, the quality of these vary. One thing I find is that not all marinas have laundry facilities so that becomes another challenge for the live aboard. I am anchored at the moment and I currently kayak about 2 miles and walk about 1 mile (in total) to do my laundry.

Fuel is another challenge in certain situations, but again this can be resolved with alternative power sources like wind and solar. I personally just live with the inconvenience of having to get fuel for the genset about once a week.

I don't miss the old cost of living and being tied to all the things that eventually own you and control your life
Old 07-13-2011

Unfortunately I'm currently in the being tied to everything that owns me and controls my life Working to get out from that so I can enjoy a sailors life!

Old 07-14-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Missing What

After being back in the USA for the past 4 weeks, I can honestly say that I don't miss anything here. Guess I'm a fish out of water. Sure there is 49 varieties of everything at the grocery store, a million shops to waste your money on and the mindless TV and news programs.

Thankfully I have a flight out a 0555 back to Asia. Could not be sooner for this cruiser.

So wanna be cruiser a question for you? what did you do today to get you closer to your dream?
Old 07-14-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Once in a while I miss having a bathtub.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-14-2011

BCJET is on a distinguished road
Wink

Great question great responses. I am working my tail off to get rid of everything to get the boat and move aboard. Thanks for the kick in the pants to hurry up. Dog, Cat, 2 boys and the wife here we go.
Old 07-14-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Bit of nostalgia. I cruised for a while in the 90s on a boat without refrigeration. I was in the Eastern Caribbean most of the time and the ingredients for a salad esp. fresh lettuce were just not available.

I lusted after a fresh crisp bowl of salad and it was high on the agenda when I hit the Publix supermarket in Palm Beach.

I hit the fresh produce section and had an immediate anxiety attack. Why well I had fantasized about being able to get crisp lettuce but had not thought about which kind. Laid out in rows were 20 or more different types all crisp and dewey.

I came close to a breakdown trying to choose.
Old 07-14-2011

aeventyr60 - That's right, send a question back to me

Actually what I did yesterday was attend my first sailing class (on land portion). Saturday is the on the water portion. I also put my motorcycle up for sale. And started one of the many fixer-upper projects I need to do on the house, prior to selling/renting (whichever way I go).

Old 07-14-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Bit of nostalgia. I cruised for a while in the 90s on a boat without refrigeration. I was in the Eastern Caribbean most of the time and the ingredients for a salad esp. fresh lettuce were just not available.

I lusted after a fresh crisp bowl of salad and it was high on the agenda when I hit the Publix supermarket in Palm Beach.

I hit the fresh produce section and had an immediate anxiety attack. Why well I had fantasized about being able to get crisp lettuce but had not thought about which kind. Laid out in rows were 20 or more different types all crisp and dewey.

I came close to a breakdown trying to choose.
This kind of reaction to the abundance of choices, it seems, is weirdly common -when we came back to the US after 3 months in the Bahamas, I was paralyzed by over 50 varieties of mustard in the store. Mustard! And blogged about it here:
Plenty!! | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: