Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011

keysrock is on a distinguished road
Winter storage on East Coast

I will be cruising my Morgan 41 from Northern Michigan through the Erie Canal, down the Hudson River and then to Annapolis. The journey is to begin toward the end of August with a planned arrival around the 3rd week of September. At that time, we'll pull the boat for the winter. If the timing doesn't work for us, we'll store somewhere along the route, hopefully after we reach NY City. So I'm looking for input as to a good storage place somewhere between NYC and Annapolis. Obviously hurricane protection is important. Trustworthy and talented emploees at the marina will be essential as well. Does anyone recommend a marina for us?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Others can list locations on the Chesapeake, but for Delaware River and Bay;

Delaware City Marina DE, in water or on hard storage, local bus to Wilmington DE and connections to Amtrak NE corridor. For boats with more than 5ft draft wait for high tide to enter the Delaware City canal entrance but then minimum 9ft at low tide at the marina.

Essington PA, on hard at Harbor Pointe, not the best location and you must supervise haul out and blocking to get it done right. Local bus to Philadelphia international Airport and Philadelphia.
Also in Essington, Fox Grove Marina, their lift may be to small for a 41ft boat.

More remote, Hancock Harbor on the Cohansey at Geenwich NJ, deep water good storage and secure, but think taxi ride to get anywhere.
Old 07-10-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Wharton Creek on the Eastern Shore has three marinas with facilities for storage and good hurricane protection.
Old 07-10-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysrock View Post
I will be cruising my Morgan 41 from Northern Michigan through the Erie Canal, down the Hudson River and then to Annapolis. ... Trustworthy and talented emploees at the marina will be essential as well. Does anyone recommend a marina for us?
Will you be going around the DelMarVa or through the C&D Canal?

If you're looking for a storage home once you get to the Annapolis area, I'd recommend Herrington Harbor North in Tracy's Landing/Deale. Big yard, good staff, many contractors on site, WM on site, etc.
Old 07-10-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Lockwood Boat Works

A well known boat yard on the Raritan Bay....Good full service yard.
Old 07-11-2011

keysrock is on a distinguished road
to Porfin. We would be going through the canal and going to Herrington North if we have the time. The reason for the post is if we don't make it that far we need other options.
To all other responders, thank you for the input.
Old 07-11-2011

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
If you are around NYC you might be better off on the Hudson, as you would have excellent hurricane protection, and likely better prices, especially upper Hudson around Kingston. I don't have any specific suggestions, just a thought that the Hudson, I would think would be cheaper and offer good protection.
Old 07-11-2011

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Lockwood Boat Works

A well known boat yard on the Raritan Bay....Good full service yard.
I had Lockwood work on my boat and would not recomend them to anyone. I also invite anyone to come and look at my boat for yourself if you have any questions about Lockwood's. also the price they quote is not the price they bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I had Lockwood work on my boat and would not recomend them to anyone. I also invite anyone to come and look at my boat for yourself if you have any questions about Lockwood's. also the price they quote is not the price they bill.
Sounds like something you should take up with Lockwoods. Did you write a check for work that you were unhappy with?
Old 07-11-2011

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Sounds like something you should take up with Lockwoods. Did you write a check for work that you were unhappy with?
Oh, I took it up with Bill Lockwood! He paid to have the repair redone elsewhere. But since he screwed it up from the begining it never came out right.

Never Forgotten