Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
We both like to cook, so the 'one-pan-meals' advice you've gotten would be horrible for us, feel like camping out again (see what I mean? Advice needs to address your specific personality and situation).
I definitely agree with Jaye. While cooking aboard with a two-burner cooker and a small oven isn't at all like cooking in my old kitchen with a six-burner commercial cooktop, double oven, big fridge, and lots of counter space. That doesn't mean I have to relegate myself to eating poorly. The only meal I've "given up" is really big roasts and turkey. With some care and mise en plas I can make anything I ever did. In some ways it has made me a better cook.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
...........That doesn't mean I have to relegate myself to eating poorly...............
If "eating poorly" means unhealthy; then, there is NO corelation! Having been blessed with a vulgar palate, I'm satisfied with simple fare. These same simple foods are often the most healthy,- fruits, nuts, yogurt, salad, simple one dish meals. I'll respect those that like to spend time preparing elaborate meals, but don't imply that simple fare is "eating poorly". The reverse is likely true! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-17-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Andrea,

Welcome. You've got an adventure ahead of you, so wring all the excitement out of it you can!

I'm with Silvio as to Turner's. We spent Thanksgiving 2009 there getting our mast stepped after the trip down from Lake Michigan. Turner's prices are very hard to beat, and their facilities are quite adequate. The staff is great, and it's one of the few old style family businesses that still exist in today's corporate culture. They've got a decent selection of harware and boat stuff that will be less expensive than across the parking lot at the West Marine Express. Don't fret about distant shopping -- they had a courtesy car available for tenant use. You may want to check on courtesy cars for any marina in which you contemplate staying.

A couple of negatives for Turner's was a lack of pump-out and fuel facilities (those are available around the corner at Dog River Marina.) Also, don't expect full length floating docks -- Turner's has fixed docks with short finger piers. You may want to think about how you'll tie up to make sure you can get on and off your home without worrying about taking a dip.

Best,
PF
Old 07-17-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I'll respect those that like to spend time preparing elaborate meals, but don't imply that simple fare is "eating poorly".
Aythya,

You are correct. I inappropriately associated one-pot meals with dumping a can in a pot. You are quite right that one-pot meals -- even no-pot meals -- can be quite healthy AND constitute eating well.

My point was that one who does enjoy cooking need not give up that joy in order to live aboard. One need not give up a favored dish that requires something sauteed, something boiled, and something roasted or baked. One-pot meals are not a mandate for those that live aboard.

I've made "elaborate" meals that required no pots and no cooking, taking more time and care than simple meals with cooking. There is little one can imagine, within the physical size limits of a boat galley, that can't be cooked aboard at anchor or underway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 07-17-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
I think Dave's clarification is exactly spot-on. My original point to the OP was that "whatever it is that makes you feel like you're camping out..." is the thing to address in order to live aboard successfully. A one-pot meal *limit* would make me feel like camping out; not that one-pot meals necessarily are bad quality or bad tasting. (In fact I'm pretty sure I remember a thread on this board where people contributed a number of great recipes.) The OP apparently doesn't enjoy cooking, so galley won't be a priority, but she will presumably identify something else that feels like camping out that she needs to address. It's really about individual preferences.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
.................My point was that one who does enjoy cooking need not give up that joy in order to live aboard..............
I'm sure you're right. If our wakes cross, just suggest the wine that I should bring!
Old 07-17-2011
Mermaid Hunter

I'll be happy to cook for you and your family if we do find ourselves in the same place.

Old 07-17-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Oooh, can I come to this party too? Since the food and the wine are already covered, I can bring maybe some dessert? Pineapple, anyone?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-17-2011

cktalons is on a distinguished road
Some good advice here. I'm making the live aboard transition in under two weeks! EEEK! Exciting and nerve-wracking all at once. It looks like y'all are on the East Coast, though. Any PNWesters out there?

I think it'll be hard to give up hot showers, but my port has them, just won't have them on my new boat. I'm assuming it's either impossible or a downright pain in the gluteous maximus to add one into a boat...
Old 07-17-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
we always kept our boat in a condition and location that required no more than ten minutes to get underway for spontaneous sailing,- even weekdays after work for a couple of hours. Too many liveaboards find themselves burdened by leading a double life and they are not able to easily shift from the dock life to the cruising life. We always stay prepared for cruising even if we spend two months at a dock. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Excellent advice ... something I wish I had been keenly aware of when I started living aboard 2 years ago ... for a number of reasons (not important here) ... I did the next best thing ... got a Ranger 23 berthed right next to the Cal 28 ... ready to leave a moment's notice ...

Andrea ... although I'm not cruising yet (but living aboard) ... a couple of things that have really enriched the experience for me ...

lucky enough to have found a Norcold 120VAC/12VDC 3 cu ft fridge on craig's list for $50 ... adds another dimension to your cuisine ...

put alot of time and effort into making the V berth ... comfortable and cozy ... added a Froli system under 4" of foam (1/2 of it memory) and sleep like a baby ...

also added a oil lamp ... takes that chill out of the air in the cabin at night ... and throws off just a beautiful warm glow throughout ...

best of luck ...