Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
CKT, depends on the size of the boat but in the main I'd think adding hot pressure showers from scratch would be an undertaking few would enjoy. Once you are off the marina however, there are plenty of other options. Combination of solar, boiling a kettle and a submersible 12v pump worked for us on our old boat but defnitely not for liveaboard at marina.

Reality is of course that marina living on board is a damn sight different to be out and about.

Ref the 'one pot cooking' issue ... I really like the idea simply cos of a lack of burners but we usually end up going two pots. Saturday evening we did a chicken curry with the rice in the 2nd and some greens steaming over the rice. If a casserole then I'll boil up some potatoes with carrots and greens steaming on top. It really is easy to eat well off a two burner stove. That said if the Wombet ever comes to her senses and throws me over for a younger model then I'd probably throw the greens and potatoes in with the stew and eat it straight out of the pan. Hey, I love cooking and eating but washing up not so much.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yea to the oil lamp suggestion .... that was our only heater on board Raven. Worked very well in just taking the edge of the cold.

Another suggestion to maximise storage space and to make cooking easier are those collapsable silicon strainers and spatter guards.

The big problem I found with trying to shoe horn into a 28'er was simply lack of stowage space. the thing of having to move half the boat to get at something eventually drove me crazy and persuade me that I couldn't survive on something that small. A weekend is fine, even a couple of weeks but full time, nope.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-18-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Which Lake

Andrea -
Which crappy lake? I, too, am enduring a long stay in Knoxville. I'm mostly on Loudon because it's within twenty minutes of my home.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Royer View Post
You may find this surprising, but a business degree in economics didn't instill a lot of common sense in me.

So, as I head down to Mobile Bay to live on the family sailboat (1985 O'Day 272), I'd welcome any communal help the internet can send my way!

Is there anything that you absolutely wouldn't have thought you would need until after you settled in? Any problems I might not foresee?

A little background...
I'm a 25 year old young lady with experience sailing JY15's with UTK on a rather crappy little lake in Knoxville, a summer sailing the Windwards in the Caribbean on a 52.2' Jeanneau, and of course as underling to Captain Dad on Percy Priest Lake in Nashville.

I'm a little out of practice, but *really hope* that intuition will make up for lack of practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 07-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cktalons View Post
Some good advice here. I'm making the live aboard transition in under two weeks! EEEK! Exciting and nerve-wracking all at once. It looks like y'all are on the East Coast, though. Any PNWesters out there?

I think it'll be hard to give up hot showers, but my port has them, just won't have them on my new boat. I'm assuming it's either impossible or a downright pain in the gluteous maximus to add one into a boat...
Depends on how important hot showers are to you, and what kind of boat? A sun shower would be a quick fix ... oh wait, PNW, you don't really have sun, right? You could warm up water on the stove instead.

Hey, I've been reading your blog and love your enthusiasm for moving aboard! Can't wait to read more as your adventure unfolds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-18-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cktalons View Post
Some good advice here. I'm making the live aboard transition in under two weeks! EEEK! Exciting and nerve-wracking all at once. It looks like y'all are on the East Coast, though. Any PNWesters out there?

I think it'll be hard to give up hot showers, but my port has them, just won't have them on my new boat. I'm assuming it's either impossible or a downright pain in the gluteous maximus to add one into a boat...
Sunshowers work great, can heat up the water in a hour. I use it all the time, generally in the cockpit so there is no cleanup.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 07-18-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post

Specific advice: as you move aboard, don't visualize storing things the way you would at home, ....
Good stuff, also save the big lockers/bins for big items, and if you are like most of us, your q-berth will become your garage.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 07-19-2011

Andrea Royer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Turner's prices are very hard to beat, and their facilities are quite adequate. Don't fret about distant shopping -- they had a courtesy car available for tenant use.

A couple of negatives for Turner's was a lack of pump-out and fuel facilities (those are available around the corner at Dog River Marina.) Also, don't expect full length floating docks -- Turner's has fixed docks with short finger piers. You may want to think about how you'll tie up to make sure you can get on and off your home without worrying about taking a dip.
PF, I'm glad to hear good things about Turner's. My mom had stayed on the boat for a week a couple years ago and mentioned that the bath house and facilities were pretty nice.

I'm in the market for a new car at the moment, and enjoy the flexibility of being able to go where I want on my own schedule. But in case I choose not to buy until after getting down there or have a gap, it's good to know there's a courtesy car. I've never taken advantage of that amenity before. Is it really only meant for once in a blue moon usage or could someone check it out once a week for groceries without taking advantage of the situation?

Also, I've only ever used the boat when it shared a slip with another boat with floating docks and a 20' finger pier. I'm used to tying up bow first and boarding over the side. I'll probably be fine with getting on and off however I need to, but what's your suggestion for how I should tie up? I've never had to deal with tides before, sailing on a depth controlled lake and only mooring in the Caribbean, so any suggestions to do with that would be helpful too! (Please!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
The OP apparently doesn't enjoy cooking...
It's not that I don't enjoy cooking in particular, but rather that I enjoy eating much more (and am not the most patient person when I'm eating by myself). So then, it looks like SVAuspicious has got the food, CaptainForce has got the wine, and you've got the dessert. I can only take so much in one night, so we'd just have to repeat another night with a shrimp boil and gin bucket, courtesy of me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal28 View Post
I did the next best thing ... got a Ranger 23 berthed right next to the Cal 28 ... ready to leave a moment's notice ...
Cal, have you heard of hoarding? (Haha.) And thanks for the good advice - I like the idea of an oil lamp, so I'll have to start shopping around.

And that actually reminds me of one flaw I have in satisfying wingNwing's suggestion to go digital. I probably wouldn't have thought of it, but I'll have to get a Kindle (even though I've long avoided the iPad/Kindle debate by resorting to real book snobbery), so that I can read by the glow of the oil lamp.
Old 07-19-2011

tdw, I'm not a big person myself, so I'm hoping if I think small, I can develop small habits. And I'm going to seriously limit the amount of stuff I bring on board. Although, it will be hard to cut down my wardrobe - I do love my clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherBowman View Post
Andrea -
Which crappy lake? I, too, am enduring a long stay in Knoxville. I'm mostly on Loudon because it's within twenty minutes of my home.

Bill
Bill, I haven't sailed in Knoxville in the last couple years, but I was very involved with the UT Sailing Club and Team that sails out of Concord Yacht Club off of Northshore. I think it's actually just part of the river that we sail on out of the club. Most college kids won't drive more than the twenty minutes it takes to get there and attendance suffered when we tried to trailer some boats out to Loudon once. Do you sail Loudon often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
if you are like most of us, your q-berth will become your garage.
I actually love sleeping in my q berth, so I guess I'll have to figure something out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
mobile bay isn't necessarily that hazardous,i only wanted to warn you, not discourage,just get a good paper chart and watch your depth indicator,your not a sailor until you've run aground maybe hmmm 50 times,a passing fisherman or sailboat will usually offer a hand and a smaller boat with a minimal keel[draw] is often easy to dislodge,my motto is [when i doubt the slower you are going the less damage if you hit something]
Oh man, I'm not planning on running aground at all... but I guess nobody does. I'm not discouraged, just a bit nervous and probably will be a bit overcautious.
Old 07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Andrea,
Turner Marina was pretty good for facilities, access, parking, and they have great internet at the docks!

The neighborhood just north isn't the most prosperous but there is decent asian take-out, ask Rick T. which one and he'll direct you there. Commercial stuff like Wal-Mart and chain restaurants are a bit of a drive the other direction but definitely doable.

Turner Marina (while I was there) had a few live-aboards and seemed quite welcoming and friendly. You definitely can't beat their price anywhere nearer a large city.

You should be fine in the bay with your draft. Keep an eye on your depth gage and head out towards the middle, the channel shouldn't concern you much at all other than staying clear of traffic. It only gets real shallow along the edges and particularly the south west side IIRC. There are several old pipe stands that are at the water surface but the ones I know of are marked on the charts and have buoys or booms around them.

It is a nice full day trip to Pensacola Bay and another full day to Choctawhatchee Bay. Beautiful inside sailing all the way! You can also run outside pretty easily. I air draft 48' so I tend to stay away from the 49' bridges between here and there. Give me a shout if you make your way this direction, I am always up for a meet-up and a cheeseburger with another sailor! I am waiting out hurricane season and then heading to the Chesapeake via the Bahamas so stop by soon!

Not trying to be nosey, but you sound like a recent college grad? You got a job lined up or family/friends in Mobile? You might toss out what you are looking for if you are job hunting. Some on this board, like myself, may be able to offer suggestions of areas to look into that are boat friendly and have work available.
Thanks for all the info, Silvio! The eventual plan is to get Koniki around to the east coast, and I'm wanting to take a few baby steps for the first part of the journey, so I will be headed in your direction.

I will be done with school August 9th, with a business degree in Economics. I'm not really job hunting at the moment, but I wouldn't turn down a job if it was the right kind and presented itself (I'm always browsing the job ads just to get a feel for what's out there). I'm really hoping to just make the most of living on the boat for as long as I can and see if there's some way I can create a long term plan that somehow involves sailing and beachcombing. I totally welcome any and all suggestions! I'm a hardworker and have a good attitude about learning and taking instructions (plenty of practice from Captain Dad - haha), so bring on the instruction.
Old 07-19-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Royer View Post
.............I've only ever used the boat when it shared a slip with another boat with floating docks and a 20' finger pier. I'm used to tying up bow first and boarding over the side. I'll probably be fine with getting on and off however I need to, but what's your suggestion for how I should tie up? I've never had to deal with tides before, sailing on a depth controlled lake and only mooring in the Caribbean, so any suggestions to do with that would be helpful too!.................and that actually reminds me of one flaw I have in satisfying wingNwing's suggestion to go digital. I probably wouldn't have thought of it, but I'll have to get a Kindle (even though I've long avoided the iPad/Kindle debate by resorting to real book snobbery), so that I can read by the glow of the oil lamp.
More than 90% of sailboats are pulling into slips bow first. The other 10% are those with the "sugar scoop" sterns and find it to their benefit to step off at the "no" transom.
Most of the laundry facilities in marinas have a big shelf of trade paperbacks. These can be jammed into your laundry bag; tossed into your dinghy; left in the rain and sun; forgotten on the deck; stepped on; dog chewed and still remain legible. They also provide readily available paper to write down Coast Guard VHF alerts and light list notices or lat & longs for the "pan..pans".. If they are totally lost or destroyed the economic damage is somewhere between zero and fifty cents! If I were a more responsible person I might buy an electronic reader, but with my casual tromp through fine literature, I'll stay with the book that is sometimes left in my dinghy! Take care and joy, Aythya crew