Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Most of the laundry facilities in marinas have a big shelf of trade paperbacks. These can be jammed into your laundry bag; tossed into your dinghy; left in the rain and sun; forgotten on the deck; stepped on; dog chewed and still remain legible. They also provide readily available paper to write down Coast Guard VHF alerts and light list notices or lat & longs for the "pan..pans".. If they are totally lost or destroyed the economic damage is somewhere between zero and fifty cents! If I were a more responsible person I might buy an electronic reader, but with my casual tromp through fine literature, I'll stay with the book that is sometimes left in my dinghy! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Yes, it's quite a dilemma - benefits either way. Really, no decision to read and take in new information is a 'bad' idea, whether you do it digitally or hardcopy ... Downsizing - with digital aid | Jaye Lunsford - Life Afloat | Blogs (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
One person on a 27' long boat? What would I do with all that room?
For what it's worth, we've found a number of ways to maximize the space on our 23' boat. The best advice I can offer is to find a place ofr everything and remember to always put everything back in it's place. you become a neatnik almost by necessity.

Old 07-19-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Royer View Post

It's not that I don't enjoy cooking in particular, but rather that I enjoy eating much more (and am not the most patient person when I'm eating by myself). So then, it looks like SVAuspicious has got the food, CaptainForce has got the wine, and you've got the dessert. I can only take so much in one night, so we'd just have to repeat another night with a shrimp boil and gin bucket, courtesy of me!
You're on!!!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-19-2011

Andrea Royer is on a distinguished road
I read a lot. And up until this point, I've committed myself to always buying books I want to read and keeping them to add to my (just beginning to be) sizable library. I take the library with me everywhere, but since the library won't come and I won't stop reading, I guess I'll just have to go digital. At least the kindle will be a good addition to my library.

bljones, I really don't think size will be a problem, but I hate clutter, even if it's just a bit, so I'm hoping to be extra extra efficient.
Old 07-19-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
keep it all really simple. You will find you don't need as much as you think. It will be far more liberating to live simply. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Andrea, develop a hurricane plan soon, for yourself and your boat. Mobile is not often in the path of gulf storms, but it is often enough to warrant having an effective plan. If you are planning to move east along the intracoastal gulf toward the Chesapeake during the season, be sure to modify your plan as you move along.

Mobile is great, but even as a native south Alabamian, I can assure you that a move 60 miles to the east to Pensacola would significantly enhance your QOL. Mobile Bay is thin water except for its southeast quadrant. Shoal draft boats are great for gunkholing there, but I think you will find yourself limited in cruising grounds within the bay in your Oday.

We are in Pensacola. As earlier comments noted, the intracoastal between Mobile and Panama City is great, with lots of big water for sailing and some ditches between with great scenery, eating, and natural history. The beach area from Pensacola to Panama City is lively in the summer and a great place to work or play. Large military installations and great small colleges and universities enhance opportunities for young people socially and professionally.

And did I mention that there a hundreds of square miles of bays inside, and the gulf outside, for sailing?

Mobile has limited marina offerings. Turner Marine and Dog River may be perfect for you, but marina options are much expanded from Pensacola to Panama City. I can't recommend any specific place to you, but if you simply scan the Active Captain listings along the Gulf Intracoastal you can see the options. Open docks are more plentiful since Ivan.

All the best to you, and good luck.
Old 07-25-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
and great small colleges and universities enhance opportunities for young people socially and professionally.

. I can't recommend any specific place to you, but if you simply scan the Active Captain listings along the Gulf Intracoastal you can see the options. .
I think the Activecaptain website is great for learning about an area and marinas for the entire ICW including the Cheaspeake. Speaking of colleges I know that there is a great little college on the St. Mary's River off the Potomac River. The Governor's Cup race held in August of each year finishes there starting from Annapolis. Plus if you like history there is a recreation of the first English settlement in Maryland much like a mini Williamsburg with people dressed up in period costume and acting like early settlers. Many of the actors are from the college I believe.