Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
Help choosing my next boat

My hiatus of living on land here in the Dominican Republic will probably come to an end within the next few years, which means we can go sailing again.

We currently have a 1973 Morgan OI 36 on that hard in Canada and that was the boat to bring my wife and I through the Carribean chain. Here is the delema. We've adopted 2 medium size dogs. I hate having dogs on a boat. First they are a pain in the ass and second dogs really don't enjoy sailing, but I'm not about to give them away, so.....in order to make life more enjoyable onboard I'm looking for the following. 36-42' sailboat, centre cockpit with walkthrough, short draft and an opening transom so the dogs can at least step into the dinghy. I found a 44' Irwin, but the draft is too deep. I'll deal with price at a later date, just looking at my options at the moment. I think a catamaran is my best bet, but way too much money. Your thoughts please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Well, I'm on a 1973 Morgan OI 41 non-walkthrough with one dog. I don't see a need to adapt for my dog,- he's 18 pounds. I'm not sure of what dog needs would require a boat change. Do dogs need to walk through? If so, where are they headed? You "hate having dogs on the boat", but you choose to adapt your home to accomodate these dogs. You say "medium size dogs", but they need an open transom to access a dinghy! Are you folding to accept a need that is beyond the dog requirements? Shouldn't a pet enhance your life? Whatever you decide, take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-17-2011
Caribbean Surveyor

CF, certainly not the response I expected from you. You have a small 18lb dog, which is very easy to bring in and out of the dinghy and the same in the cabin. One of my dogs is 45lbs and the other 55lbs. It is very difficult to lift dogs this size out of a dinghy on a boat with a high freeboard which is why an opening transom would work best.
Old 07-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
CF, certainly not the response I expected from you. You have a small 18lb dog, which is very easy to bring in and out of the dinghy and the same in the cabin. One of my dogs is 45lbs and the other 55lbs. It is very difficult to lift dogs this size out of a dinghy on a boat with a high freeboard which is why an opening transom would work best.
Yeah, I see the problem better now. You said "medium" sized dogs, which makes me think of the 25 to 30 pounders. You have what I would call two big dogs and you stated, "I hate having dogs on the boat and they are a pain in the ass." 'seems you would do you and the dogs a favor to find them another home. It's your call....or is it? If I wasn't enjoying my dog he'd be in somebody's back yard!

Take care an djoy, Aythya crew
Old 07-17-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Not saying it will work in your case, but a potential option.
The Doggy Boat Ladder by Paws Aboard: The Best Dog Boat Ramp / Ladder for Pet Safety Available
I do not have any experience with it, but it could be worth looking at or something equal.

marty
Old 07-18-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I love dogs (and cats too for that matter) but for me they simply do not mix with boats. Day sailing off a marina is altogether a different matter but living with them on board, rowing to shore in the pouring rain, cleaning up the kitty litter, nah sorry.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-18-2011
Caribbean Surveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Yeah, I see the problem better now. You said "medium" sized dogs, which makes me think of the 25 to 30 pounders. You have what I would call two big dogs and you stated, "I hate having dogs on the boat and they are a pain in the ass." 'seems you would do you and the dogs a favor to find them another home. It's your call....or is it? If I wasn't enjoying my dog he'd be in somebody's back yard!

Take care an djoy, Aythya crew
CF unless you have useful information to share regarding my question on finding another boat, please don't waste any further bandwith. No need to get personal when I'm asking for help finding a boat.
Old 07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianseamonkey View Post
.......... Here is the delema. We've adopted 2 medium size dogs. I hate having dogs on a boat. First they are a pain in the ass and second dogs really don't enjoy sailing, but I'm not about to give them away, so.....in order to make life more enjoyable onboard I'm looking for the following. 36-42' sailboat, centre cockpit with walkthrough, short draft and an opening transom so the dogs can at least step into the dinghy. I found a 44' Irwin, but the draft is too deep. I'll deal with price at a later date, just looking at my options at the moment. I think a catamaran is my best bet, but way too much money. Your thoughts please.
I'm sorry if you thought I was straying away from your request. When looking at your original post, I interpreted your "delema" as more of a dog problem than a boat problem. As you ask, "Your thoughts please", I've been candid, but it's not my purpose to be offensive. Sincerely, Aythya crew
Old 07-18-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We had a 55-lb dog on a 33-ft boat (not by choice, promise made to my dying kid brother that we'd take care of his dog for him if he didn't make it) and I have to agree that it could be interpreted as a dog problem and not a boat problem. The dog didn't need to walk onto the dinghy, we built a platform (a.k.a., the gangplank) for the dog to step onto, then jump down into the dinghy. The key was making it large enough that she could stand all 4 feet on the platform. Buying a sheet of plywood and some line was a LOT cheaper than getting a different boat!

this photo was taken for a different purpose but still should give you the idea. One person stood on the boat to guide the dog onto the platform, the other positioned the dinghy below and waited to receive the dog and guide her onto the dinghy. We lived at a mooring this way for 2 summers before moving dog to a marina.

[IMG][/IMG]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-18-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I don't see how a center cockpit would be on the same boat as an opening transom. An opening transom to me opens to the level of the cockpit sole. In a center cockpit it would be deck level.

Is that a Schipperke I see up there? Great boat dogs, 2 of my neighbors have them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.