Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hand pump in galley for sure. Since moving to a boat with pressure water in the galley and h/c shower I am staggered by how much water we go through.

I like the bathe in salt water thing provided weather is suitable and a fresh rinse after. Don't go the wipes cos they are just more waste but a rub down with a damp face cloth works when water is seriously in short supply.

On the other hand, if you get good rainfall, a run off from an awning into tanks can give you good top up option.

I don't like cooking in salt water (too salty) but instead of boiling vegetables, try steaming.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I'm interested in learning what methods you employ on a passage or at anchor for days/weeks that conserve water (fresh)?
Shower with a "friend",
Ladies, cross your legs allot and sit still?
Don't open water bottles unless you plan to drink it all?
use the pasta water to do the shrimp or broccoli. or save it for starching your Hawaiian shirt?
Don't sweat and if you do, wring your towels out in the sink.
Save rainwater by hanging buckets inside your boat even though it doesn't leak?
sail only on fresh water,
partially fill the dinghy with salt water, put bucket in bottom, cover and put rock over bucket and call it a Dinghy solar still?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 07-27-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: lol
Old 07-27-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Wouldn't it always eventually lead to rationing water? Wouldn't your water last longer if you assigned an allotment of volume for uses earlier and not surpass this amount? We've never gone more than a month without replenishing with water, but if I was faced with a concern, it seems natural to measure and determine volumes used.
Old 08-02-2011

wescarroll is on a distinguished road
Get a hand pump and shut down your pressure system, if you have a water heater turn it off(cold water goes much farther when showering than warm). Don't shower and drink only beer, that seemed to work best for me as now I am the only one aboard, and my tankage is plenty for one(who does'nt shower and drinks only beer).
eherlihy likes this.
Old 08-03-2011

"OO" is on a distinguished road
It is all about education. Teach your kids not to brush their teeth with running water but to use a glass. Use a sponge for washing the body and rinse with a very quick shower. If ocean is warm enough to wash in dish-washing liquid works fine in salt then rinse with quick shower. Find a way to collect rainwater. etc etc..
Old 08-04-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
I drink my whiskey straight. Have never run out of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Last holiday weekend in Sydney someone (duh !) forgot to fill the water tanks before we left. Weather that weekend was rubbish so I really didn't want to leave our nice little anchorage and head back to a marina to fill up. We had enough to get by but had to think about usage. Showers were the biggest problem but really anyone can shower in just a couple of litres, it is not such a big deal.

Two pot cooking is obvious enough but if you steam veggies instead of boiling you can really cut down. We in fact will boil potato in the steamer water while it is steaming e.g carrots. Its amazing just how little water you need to cover a couple of tatties, they don't need to be swimming in it.

OO mentions simple things like tooth brushing. I'd murder anyone who didn't use a glass for brushing no matter how much water we had but I guess kids or guests who have not been told cannot be expected to know about general water limitations.

btw ... recently I was onboard a boat that had fresh water flush head. Unbelievable.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-04-2011

MikeWhy is on a distinguished road
One of the most amazing inventions of this or the previous century: 600 GSM weight, shag microfiber towels. A 2 minute, 1 quart bird bath exfoliates and deep cleans as well or better than a salon facial and workup. Best of all, no soap. But you do have to wipe up the scum in the sink that didn't drain away; easiest while it's still wet, completely grotty after it dries a minute later.
Old 08-12-2011

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post

Oh yeah, the dog does the pre-rinse on the plates!
I could see letting fido pre clean the plate but pre rinse ..don't think so.

( just messin with ya I'm sure that's what you meant lol)
Old 08-12-2011
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Use a Brita pitcher?