LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011

24seven365 is on a distinguished road
sponge bath
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I have a steamer insert for pots with extended legs (a project in itself) and steam veges over pasta, rice, or couscous; this saves cooking AND cleaning water. There is some unintended mixing of flavors but hasn't really been an issue.

On delivery offshore I stock up on baby wipes and encourage their use on the boat. Wipe down before crawling into sheets every single time and you will be happier and reduce laundry requirements. Sufficiently offshore the baby wipes go over the side and don't have an impact on trash management.

Cruising Auspicious we tend to use washrags for sponge baths as noted above.

An accumulating flow meter (looks like an automobile odometer) is a great conservation tool. It is illuminating how much more water people use (including me) than they think.

Go with your strengths. For example, I cook with less water and end up with fewer dishes to clean, so I do the bulk of the cooking. Janet uses much less water cleaning up than I so she does that work.

We carry 120 gallons in tanks and about a dozen gallons more in 'emergency' fresh water. No plastic bottles of drinking water; we use Nalgene containers for each person which cuts down completely on the problem of unfinished water bottles - a waste of water and a trash problem with all the plastic.

Our fresh water toilet can be switched to salt water offshore and while cruising in relatively clean waters. I'm glad to have the fresh water flush option - head odor is never a problem with it and we flush with fresh water anywhere we can resupply even if it means more trips with jugs of water. Accordingly we rarely make a trip ashore without a 5 gal water jug or two to fill.

On extended trips we do laundry in a five gallon bucket of fresh water and ammonia. No soap, no rinse. The clothes get clean and the ammonia fully dissipates while the clothes are drying. Most laundry gets done in laundromats. *grin* Research and personal experience indicate that unless you have skin of iron doing laundry in salt water uses more fresh water to get the salt out than is saved even compared to a conventional soapy wash and clean rinse; the ammonia wash is a real saver.

We have pressure water in the head and galley plus fresh and salt foot pumps in the galley. Offshore and cruising we keep the pressure water switched off. The extra step of flipping the switch to use pressure water is a built-in reminder to be cautious. This is particularly helpful with guests who can use all the reminders civility allows.

When guests are aboard I have laminated instructions/reminders to tape up in the galley (don't leave the water running, how the foot pumps work, which is which), the nav station (which switch for pressure water, anchor and deck lights), and the head (how the electric toilet works, reminder to turn the pressure water on and off if using the sink, where the baby wipes and clean wash rags are).

Finally we try to do boat chores in the coolest parts of the day, reducing sweat as much as possible -- in addition to comfort it reduces water consumption for cleaning oneself and laundry.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I really like these ideas from Auspicious. Especially the ammonia laundry and keeping the pressure water switch off as a reminder of conservation when used. I might agree with the baby wipe discard, but I would need to read the composition information. If the remaining "cloth" is just a cellulose matrix; then, I'm all for tossing it in the sea! If not, the used wipes can be stowed with no more use of space than their original packaging. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-14-2011
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Auspicious, great post! Thank you, thats the kind of info and ideas I was looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-14-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I might agree with the baby wipe discard, but I would need to read the composition information. If the remaining "cloth" is just a cellulose matrix; then, I'm all for tossing it in the sea! If not, the used wipes can be stowed with no more use of space than their original packaging.
Definitely valid. One thing I really emphasize with crew is that if we have room to stow it we have room to carry it home. It's the smelly bits that don't quite work out as planned. *grin*

Another thing that I do is to either dip pasta out of the pot or drain into another pot (the former when I can - one less pot to clean) and use the water to make hard-cooked eggs. We go through a lot of eggs aboard because I really like deviled eggs and because peeling the eggs keeps the watch entertained on passage. Oranges and similar fruits have a similar entertainment value and provide some hydration.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 08-14-2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo & grammar
Old 08-14-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Shower and shampoo only with J. R. Ligett's detergent free soap. I use it at home too.

The beauty of this soap is that being detergent free it rinses in a fraction of the time that normal commercial soaps take to rinse. Your hair stay cleaner, longer. I'm not kidding. And you conserve water.

It's made in New Hampshire by a sailor.
Google J.R. Liggett ltd.
Old 08-14-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Auspicious pretty much nailed it; great ideas. We use a small "spray doc" - pump up container for pesticides, get it at a hardware store - that has never been used for pesticides (of course). Fill it up, pump it up, and its the equivalent of powerwashing your dishes, you'll be amazed at how little water you use. Fill it and leave it topside to warm up then use for showers instead of SunShower. The two of us can make 110 gal of fresh water last >1 month, and we never use saltwater for laundry or dishes - I just don't want to deal with the potential corrosion on pots and pans and sink fittings. We use Auspicious' washcloth idea also - soak the washcloth and put it in a ziploc bag and leave it in the sun to warm up before using.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-14-2011
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
we never use saltwater for laundry or dishes - I just don't want to deal with the potential corrosion on pots and pans and sink fittings.
Good point. I use salt water for glassware and dishes but only fresh for cookware. I do the salt first so washing the cookware helps clean out the sink. No corrosion issues so far in five years.

Old 06-18-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK
Re: How do you conserve water aboard?

some interesting idea in this thread for certain.

If in the warmer locations, I would imagine laundry to consist of little more than trunks and bikinis though right?

These may also be a useful tool for some...
Old 06-20-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you conserve water aboard?

We use seawater to rinse off dishes and if in a clean water area/harbour will was dishes in it and fresh rinse. Wash in the ocean or with deck was and then fresh water rinse, use a product called "Savon De Mer" which lathers nice in salt and smells nicer than Joy dishwashing liquid and is environmentaly friendly.
To fill tanks when on anchorage I use a 20 gal bladder in the bottom of the dingy with a small 12 V transfer pump. Lot easier than lugging 5 Gal water cans.