Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012

Yofy is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you conserve water aboard?

Quote:
To fill tanks when on anchorage I use a 20 gal bladder in the bottom of the dingy with a small 12 V transfer pump. Lot easier than lugging 5 Gal water cans.
Nice idea!

A lot of really good ideas have been posted already.

We currently sail the Red Sea and water is a real issue here... especially GOOD water. We have 300 liters in 3 different tanks and no watermaker. We can go 2 weeks on anchor without a refill. We also carry emergency jerry jugs on deck. When Manny built our forward water tank he made two separate tanks with hoses that lead to two taps in a locker. These hoses lead to one main hose which leads to a junction with tank # 3 and the water pump. This allows us to closely monitor our water when we are not at dock. We open one tap and when that tank runs dry we know we have used 1/3 of our water supply, next tap means ˝ and we open the tap to our 3rd and last tank. At that point we know we need to refill soon. This method keeps everybody onboard aware of water usage.

Two things will use up your fresh water more than anything else. Doing dishes and taking showers. (Of course, any heads that run on fresh water must have the option to switch to salt water when underway.)

Our galley has a foot pump. Our head does not, because it wasn’t feasible to install one. Underway we close the electric pumps and only use the galley foot pump. We have a salt water tap, wash dishes with salt water and give a short rinse with fresh water at the end. We have tested this system against using only fresh water and the electric pump. We found we use 1/3 the water.

One excellent tip I got a few years back is to dilute your dish washing soap with water. Most detergents are very dense and require a lot of rinsing to get the soap off. Diluted dish soap cleans just as well and requires a lot less rinsing. (You also save on the detergent ) We avoid cooking pasta underway because we haven’t found a way to cook it without using tons of water. Maybe you can come up with an inventive piece of advice there . We agree with twd and steam veggies, although most of our offshore cooking is of the one pot type. We wash fresh produce and and rinse grains in salt water.

Over here we are fortunate and can jump in the water for cruiser showers any time of the year. We soap up and give a QUICK rinse with our cockpit shower. When we were cruising in northern latitudes I would boil water in the kettle and wet a washcloth. That was enough to wash my face in the morning. Using a wash cloth, I can sponge bath in a cup of water. Honestly, not being stingy, but I prefer this to handi wipes.

In the Bahamas I was the rain (wo)man. My favourite job was catching rain water. We often topped up our tanks in a squall. And if it really rained hard, our dingy would fill up and then we had a party. I’d climb in the dinghy with the laundry and soap and we’d all get clean. I miss rain!!!!

Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
Nice idea!

A lot of really good ideas have been posted already.
Agreed, lots of brilliant ideas in this thread, particularly like the idea os separate taps on the water tank, same principal as the 'reserve' switch on the fuel tank of a motorbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yofy View Post
We avoid cooking pasta underway because we haven’t found a way to cook it without using tons of water. Maybe you can come up with an inventive piece of advice there . We agree with twd and steam veggies, although most of our offshore cooking is of the one pot type.
I was a chef for over 15years before I retired from the trade.
Would there be much interest in a cook book designed for cruisers and liveaboards?

here are a couple of pics to whet your appetites:

T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by DavidB.UK; 06-21-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-21-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

When you do have the luxury of an onboard shower, to adjust the temperature: instead of adding hot water if it's too cold, or cold water if its too hot ... train yourself to turn DOWN whichever tap you have too much of. You don't notice the decreased pressure, but over time this really adds up.

DavidB.UK - you might get in touch with T37Chef; I think he was looking at the idea of a training class on cooking for boaters also.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 06-21-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

On passage or when on long distance travel, we turn off the 12 vdc water pump and only use the foot pumps. .... and we have a 'watermaker'.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.