Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question How do you conserve water aboard?

I'm interested in learning what methods you employ on a passage or at anchor for days/weeks that conserve water (fresh)?

With two kids we can blow through some water in the summer. For starters, I need to install a seawater pump for the galley and head. We have antiseptic wipes in the head & galley but that just creates more trash, fine for a weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
We shower off the transom. Jump in, soap up, jump in again. Rinse with fresh water. Of course this only works if you are stationary. Off-shore I plan to use bucket water and a rinse with fresh. I just ordered my 13' extension hose for the transom shower so ti can be used safely in the cockpit.

Our head is fresh water so that does not conserve much but I plan to install a salt water feed for off-shore work.

We store 175 gallons in 2 tanks. There are only 2 of us. Right now, even with the toilet use we can go 3 weeks before re-filling. But we also shower on shore most of the time. Off-shore Swap the toilet use for shower use and I think we will continue to get 3 weeks. We also have a 12 gpm watermaker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 07-26-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We bath in salt water with "Joy" dishwashing liquid as it lathers well in salt water. We then rinse with salt water, followed by a conservative fresh water rinse. We can carry 200 gallons of fresh water and when we are conserving this can easily last the two of us one month. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-26-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I'm interested in learning what methods you employ on a passage or at anchor for days/weeks that conserve water (fresh)?

With two kids we can blow through some water in the summer. For starters, I need to install a seawater pump for the galley and head. We have antiseptic wipes in the head & galley but that just creates more trash, fine for a weekend.
If I have two young children on board, i would not introduce any bay water into the sinks especially in the congested urban water. I am OK if we are the ocean. Sailing in the bay, getting more water is never a problem. I don't not want to take a chance.

To conserve water during passage, I used sea water to clean dishes and rinse with tank water. For very greasy dished, assume water is not valuable than propane, I heat up water to do greasy dishes.

I take shower on the deck with seawater and then rinse below. I also do a lot sponge bath. I mix 20% Isoproply alcohol with water, wipe myself clean before I retire for the night. Use baby powder for the areas that is sticky and wet. If rash appears, zinc oxide ointment is good.

I use Clorox cleanup a lot (after the dishes done) to save water. I also save the water from ice box for dishes. Just make the water is not contaminated with raw meat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 07-26-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I installed a whole house GE water filter and then on the galley faucet we use a Britta faucet mounted filter. When you run the Britta and the whole house filter the flow is minimized enough that you can do dishes and not chew through a lot of water. Turn off the Britta and you have plenty of pressure. As such we don't really need to "conserve" much or even think about it as we have plenty of water for multiple weekends or a week or more using this system plus we drink right out of the tanks and have no need for carrying extra drinking water.

Tanks are of course sanitized each spring and I turn the water over and re-fill every two to three weeks so it does not get stagnant..
messer999 likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-26-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
We use a hand pump in the galley for freshwater while cruising.
Salt water pump for dish clean up.
A small spray bottle with fresh water for rinsing dishes.
Also use handi wipes for a freshen up.
Salt water showers/ fresh water rinse. Also some of friends have those 2-3 gallon insecticide sprayers, they use these for showers. Also Sun Showers on deck for cooler climates/too hot here in the tropics for a Sun Shower.
Baby powder in the tropics a great way to beat the humidity.
Drink a lot of beer and wine...

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-26-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Shower with your wife or girlfriend. If you're really lucky, both of them may want to join you .
deniseO30 and messer999 like this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-26-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Chef, if you have pressure water in the head or galley? Replace it with a foot pump. When you've got to go "squish, squish" to make the water run, it becomes simply impossible to "let it run" and go to waste.
Old 07-27-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
I got a 15 gallon fresh tank and two 5 gallon porta tanks on deck for a grand total of 25 gallons of freshy for myself. I figure I could ration to 3/4 a gallon per day if I had too which should be enough time to make landfall in most places. Also, while I will not be purchasing a water maker, I have thought of getting a solar water maker if it can produce viable quantities for the price of the equipment. I figure I should be able to catch rainwater from weather systems too.
Old 07-27-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
My Pearson had a foot pump and I found that if I pushed all the way down and then let it spring back up, often times this was too much water. Once I got used to it, I found how far down I needed to pump to get half the water I needed as the upstroke provided the other half.

Oh yeah, the dog does the pre-rinse on the plates!

-----------------------------------------------------