Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Hereís a plan. This is what Iíd do if I could do it all over again.

Number One: Stay in school. Believe me, itís worth it. Deal with the BS and put it behind you. Iíll let the otherís advice make it clear on that part.

Number Two (and Iíll be blunt): Keep your dick in your pants! Weekly payments of court ordered child support will mess up your plans for at least 18 years. Compound that with a lack of education and youíll never go sailing!

Number Three: This may sound dumb taking into account the reason for this thread, but after youíve graduated high school, you should do a hitch in the military. It doesnít matter what branch, the Marines would probably be your best choice to fit your later plans. Thereís plenty of adventure and youíll gain a lot both mentally and physically. The veteranís benefits will be a big help to you after your tour and it will open some important doors for you that would otherwise remain closed.

Once youíve done this, youíll be around 21 or 22, take a backpack and sleeping bag and hike up into the mountains for a couple of weeks. Now that you have prepared yourself for the future, you can meditate on which of the many roads you want your life to take, and if sailing is still your choice, weíd welcome you into the brotherhood with open arms.

So, being a sailor starts today. Staying in school is what you, the sailor, should do.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
pirate

I never thought we would see anything with such total agreement. You were ver elequent I hope this young man will take our advice and become a man before he makes sailing his total life. Not that he still can''t sail he will have summers and (Dang that military idea is great) 30 days leave a year. His life won''t end staying in school it is just begining.
Old 08-21-2003

sailstactics is on a distinguished road
Hear this :
The size of your sailboat is directly related to the level of your education.

Stay in school.
Old 08-22-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
Jeffamc,

Looks like you touched nerve amoung boaters, Jeff, but you haven''t answered in almost 2 weeks. Are you out there?

Chas
Old 08-23-2003

jjjjjjjjjj is on a distinguished road
I believe that Jeffamc has last posted on the "drugs" thread trying to come up with novel ways to outwit the DEA, Coast Guard and other authorities. I didn''t pick up on it at first,but I believe that he also started that thread on what would happen if you brought drugs into foreign ports...
I guess he doesn''t REALLY want any constructive advice...
Old 08-23-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
oh im here, yea thanks for all your advice. I got a job yeasterday at kfc(even though i stoped eating meat a few months ago, now im gonna be cooking it, oh well, its a job). But i will be saving money and trying not to spend much. School, yea i know, i should finish it, its just that im far behind and all my friends are going to be graduating, this year and i will still be there for a few years if i dont quit, it just depresses me. But i look at it, i will be saving money at kfc, then i will get a better job somewhere because i will be 18 in a few months and be able to save more-pumping gas or delivering pizza''s, ect. suppose i was saving $250 a week thats $12,000 a year so in a few years like when im 21-22 years old i could get a decent sailboat mabey a 27-32footer that is good for coastal and offshore cruising. i could probably find someone that will chip in some or at least just go with me.
Old 08-23-2003

There are some good sailboats that are good for coastal and bluewater cruising- well if u were just with 1 other person, on YachtWorld right now i see=
Tartan 27 1974- $14,900
Tartan 28 1984- $31,500
Tartan 30 1973- $20,000
Sabre 28 1981- $29,900
Sabre 30 MK1 1979- $32,000
Pearson Triton 27 1984- $14,900
Pearson Triton 28 1965- $11,800
Morgan 27 1976- $12,000
Nor''Sea 27 1977- $27,500
Old 08-23-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Just for the record, neither the 1984 Triton 27 nor the 1976 Morgan 27 are suitable for offshore use. The 1984 Triton was a lightly built coastal cruiser that traded on the good name of the original Triton. The 1976 Morgan 27 was an IOR race boat. I raced on these when they were comparatively new and while good race boats for their day, they never were intended or suitable for offshore use. While a lot of blue water sailing has been done in the original Tritons, these boats never were all that great as offshore cruiers, and they are all approaching 40 years of age and were not all that well built to begin with.

I became a vegetarian when I was roughly your age and have been one for 36 years now. Good move! Maybe we can at least get you out sailing. Where in the US do you live?

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 08-23-2003

Massachuestts, on the rhode island border
Old 08-23-2003

Seagypsywoman is on a distinguished road
I have a 26 foot International Folkboat that''s a great boat for someone young (no head room). Full, cut away keel, has crossed oceans, Two of us have sailed her in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico in everything from 1 knot of wind to 35.