Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
I plan on dropping out of high school very soon and then I will get a full time job and just save up until I get afford a sailboat, but the only problem is once i get a sailboat and I am living on it, how will I make money for food, water, repairs, docking, gas, ect. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2003

texas gal is on a distinguished road
Stay in school!!! I know that some others are going to contradict me, but for the record, sailing is not cheap. And believe it or not, some of that physics and math will come in handy when trying to figure out how much power you need for you to run the electrical systems on your boat, or perhaps getting a good job at a boatyard or marina. Or a good job elsewhere, and getting that fantastic boat...
Old 08-08-2003

tjr3c is on a distinguished road
I suggest you stay in High School and finish. While there, try to learn as much as you possibly can. Graduate and go to college. While there, try to learn as much as you can. The data is in, college grads earn significantly more money than those with only High School diplomas. If you are having a problem at your current school, speak to a counselor. Maybe they can get you placed in an alternative setting to get you past the problem. Gotta have bucks to own a boat. After all, many people say that " a boat is just a hole in the water that you throw money into".
Old 08-08-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
sailing is cheap... by the standards of living on land. But as you pointed out, the cost of sailing is still more than can easily be generated from the boat. The demands it put on you make creating the income are alot greater than the discount in living you get.

Stay in school. Find something you can do at a distance, or better yet, invest in income reality. (rental homes etc) and then go sailing. Or work at ports where you can find it, and spend your life on the hook and out of the harbors, eating fish, rice, and raman.

Your call.

-- James
Old 08-09-2003

Im not going to stay in high school, I am suppose to be a senior and I will be in freshmen classes, it will take another 3 years to graduate, i would be 21 when i graduate. I read books on my own, i dont like being dictated opon by some lady or some facist.
Old 08-09-2003

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
I can understand your situation. You might look into a GED though. They''ll let you work at your own pace, treat you as an adult, it''s easier, and takes less time.
With a GED you could go to trade school for diesel repair or refridgeration. Both trades would be in demand while out cruising.

I hated high school, went to 14, (5 in my senior year) but I graduated. Now I''ve got 3 degrees. Go figure!
Old 08-09-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
If you can''t handle High School, there''s no way in hell you''re going to handle life on the water in this day and age. You''ve said it yourself, how are you going to pay for things? Why would anyone hire you if you can''t show the simple staying power of a high school education? There''s enough dummies out there now and we don''t need more. Do me a personal favor, if you do drop out, stay away from the boats!
Old 08-09-2003

Well yes, i know high school is somewhat important, but just because I cannot handle sitting at a desk, doesnt mean that i cant handle life on the water. I mean that isnt really important, if im living at sea, it doesnt really matter if i have a diaploma or not, i was just trying to figure out ways to make money while i am out there, there are many criminal ways of making money (smuggling drugs, Cubans,ect) but i was just wondering about some different legal ways of making money out there.
Old 08-09-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
First see if you can make a living on land. Then see if you can sail. Perhaps even get a job by the sea, so you can actualy spend some time on the water, while making a living and saving some. Then go from there.

Being able to sit at a desk and take something you dont want to is perhaps the biggest skill you will need, at least to make it through to the point where you dont have to. Of course, if you keep asking, and everyone keeps giving you the same answer, and you dont like it, they must all be wrong.

-- James
Old 08-10-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Jeffamc,

I understand you wanting to quit school.I spent several years in vain trying to convince my oldest son not to drop out.He eventually did anyway.After being out a couple of years,he found out how tough it was making a living.He became frustrated that the only work he could get was minimal paying jobs,or very hard physical jobs.He decided to go back to school and get his GED.After getting it,he joined the Army.While in the Army,he''s excelled at everything he''s done and is now in the process of trying out for the special forces.Looking back on it now,I really believe my son was just bored with school.He''s super smart and I think he really just wasn''t being challenged in school in areas that were of interest to him.My advice to you is along the same lines as what I believe someone else has already mentioned to you. Get your GED,and then at least learn a trade.If you''re mechanically inclined,you might want to consider learning about diesels.A good diesal mechanic can make good pay anywhere in the world.Refrigeration on boats is also a great trade to learn that will produce good money.Get some of Nigel Calders books.The books are very good on all aspects of boat maintenance and repair.They might help you decide what type of trade would be good for you.For what you said you want to do,it seems that the ideal situation for you would be to find work at a boat yard with a tech.school close by.I hope I''ve helped you generate some ideas. Good luck!