Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Newbie First Boat

Already got a ton of help on this forum. Saw two C30s yesterday, and they were good, but didn't jump out at me. Since I'll be living aboard and have a small budget, the C30 would be a good choice.

I've also been told that, although "smaller" for living aboard than a C30, the Pearsons are a good choice. I stumbled across a C&C and did some research. They also seem to be a good boat with strength and sailability. I do NOT want to start a thread war, as I know owner loyalty is strong - and have been told that C30 owners are VERY VERY loyal but, the pictures (and they can be deceiving) of the C&C are pretty nice. 1977 C&C sailboat for sale in Massachusetts

Here's a link to the nice C30 I looked at. It's priced a little high, but has had upgrades and is TURNKEY - Also, I was told an offer of $20K might do it! Merri-Mar Yacht Basin, Inc (Newburyport, MA)

I'd appreciate any comments on the C30, C&C or Pearson. If you happen to have experience with two or more of them, I'd be open to hearing your opinioins/suggestions. It's not necessarily a matter of "this one is better or that one is bad", but rather personal preferences and maybe differences in handling characteristics. For instance, advantages for living aboard, perhaps less weather helm, etc. etc.

As a newbie, maybe I'm asking for the impossible, but I just want to add personal opinions/experiences to what my research will turn up. Also, any specific questions you'd recommend I ask the owners/brokers when I look at these models is greatly appreciated. And yes, I know that the model and year can make a HUGE difference in what to look for, as modifications were made almost every year to address "idiocyncracies" of the boats!

Thanks for the help and the PATIENCE,
Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
They're all fine boats. I like the C&C lines better than the others, but it's a really old boat with a gas engine. As I'm sure others will agree, even though the C&C was supposedly refit 12 years ago, most of that stuff is ready to be replaced even if the boat hasn't been used much (stuff seems to decay faster if not used, IMO). The biggest negative for me is the gas engine.

The Catalina is my choice. It was repowered last year and is a very roomy, stable boat. My dad owned 3 Catalinas, including a 30. I worked for 2 dealers a long time ago. They are great boats and we routinely sailed coastally in the Atlantic including runs to the Chesapeake and to Newport. Catalina makes a great boat for the money. Pearson is out of business and C&C has been through more lives than a cat. I'd but a Catalina if I wasn't hooked on Sabres.
Old 07-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

Sabreman, I can't thank you enough for that great advice/observations. To tell you the truth, I am making the usual newbie mistakes, getting excited by pics and overlooking IMPORTANT info like GAS ENGINE - which slipped by me. I've gotten excited about a boat, and after drooling over the pics and descriptions, I finally notice that it's TILLER, not Wheel - nothing wrong with that - just a personal preference!

Thanks again - solid observations. I keep coming back to the C30 - maybe there are REASONS?? Hmmm - now I'll have to investigate SABRES! lol...
Old 07-30-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
'll have to investigate SABRES!
If you do, you won't go back. Until you see the price tag.

For a first boat, I'd go with a high volume brand. After you get a few miles under your keel, you'll have some solid opinions and be ready to more objectively assess other builders.

The Internet is a magical thing. LOTS of pictures but you can spend way too much time thrashing. When we bought our last Sabre, the Internet as we know it didn't exist (1987). When we bought Victoria 6 years ago, I thrashed and looked at too many boats of all brands. We ended up using a broker and visiting 3 Sabres in one day and bought the second one. Never saw any of them online before visiting. Moral - Pick your brand & size and then focus. You'll save a lot of time.
Old 07-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

Sabreman, THRASHING is a great way to describe exactly what I've been doing! And, you really read what my mind and heart are telling me about going with a high volume brand for a first boat and experiencing things as they are so I'll know what to look for in my subsequent boats.

I think the C30 will be a nice choice for a first boat as it's relatively inexpensive, forgiving, not too big/easy to handle, and BIG/ROOMY inside for a small liveaboard. In a few years, I'll have a total of $40 or $50K to move up - so that will open up my choices.

Thanks for the great advice,
Jack
Old 07-30-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You can also get many replacement parts from Catalina still which you can't say for most other brands.
Catalina Direct:

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

Thanks Caleb - very important point/aspect of buying a C. Oh, when I mentioned that I'd have $40-$50K, I must have been JOKING - since I don't have ANY electronic equipment right now! lol... Let's see, autopilot, chart plotter, and on and on and on... I LOVE toys - especially when I don't REALLY need them!
Old 07-30-2011
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
Jack-

Have you looked at any Morgan Outisland 28/33's? Keeping your budget in mind, these can be found for far less than a comparably fitted Catalina ($10-18K) These were generally built for the charter trade and were overbuilt as a result....thick hulled, over-sized rigging, etc. These are also very forgiving boats and would make an excellent learning platform while offering maximum living space.

Step back and take an honest inventory of your current situation and how/where you will use the boat. Keep in mind that are compromises for every decision. What makes a good liveaboard boat is usually in contrast with what makes a good passage maker. The trick is to be honest with yourself, understand your limitations, and choose your compromises wisely.
Cal28 likes this.
Old 07-31-2011

Boatinglifeaway is on a distinguished road
I am so much into facebook. It is so interactive and I look forward to having a lot of sailing friends connected. It gives me the more day to day stories from people. It is almost like you live the adventure on a daily basis with them.
Old 07-31-2011

Boatinglifeaway is on a distinguished road
In response to the notice. I am so much into facebook. It is so interactive and I look forward to having a lot of sailing friends connected. It gives me the more day to day stories from people. It is almost like you live the adventure on a daily basis with them.