SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Travel medical insurance suggestions??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/77389-travel-medical-insurance-suggestions.html)

bermudasailor 08-10-2011 10:33 AM

Travel medical insurance suggestions???

Does anyone know of an isurer that has policies for circumnavigations that is offered to canadians?

PaulfromNWOnt 08-10-2011 01:57 PM

Check with your credit card company. I know Visa offers travellers insurance, but I don't know the specifics of their coverage.

PorFin 08-10-2011 08:57 PM

Bermuda,

Check out Diver's Alert Network -- they offer varying types of coverage, and are a very responsive, reputable and proven company. They actively manage cases from minor to full blown aerial medevac missions.

killarney_sailor 08-11-2011 04:16 AM

A lot of cruisers do not have health insurance. You really need it in the US since the medical costs are so high but elsewhere not. My wife and I are basically quite healthy so decided not to get insurance. In two years these are the costs"

I have been fighting staph skin infections (fairly common in tropical cruising it seems) and have had three experiences}
1. clinic in Managareva, Gambier islands; went about five times; once to see doctor and the other times nurse to have dressing changed
2. fancy new hospital in Papeete, Tahiti and was treated by a doctor and 2 nurses for about an hour in total including have a boil cleaned out; cost about $60; prescriptions and various medical supplies $110 (French Polynesia is very pricey)
3. private hospital in Suva, Fiji (public hospital would have been much cheaper); doctor for about 10 minutes was about $16; prescription (oral antibiotic) $12

We have a pretty good first aid kit on board but should have had more sterile pads and an antibiotic specific for skin infections (Keflex for example). We had Cipro and apparently it is not that good for skin bugs. A doctor on another boat suggested we should have a more powerful painkiller (something based on morphine) in addition to the two prescription ones we have.

aeventyr60 08-11-2011 04:27 AM

We opted out of medical insurance. Have had great care in the 3rd world at ridiculously cheap prices. Have Dan insurance with the medical care option of $10,000.00. 10 K goes along way in the 3rd world.

Went to the local clinic for 7 stitches in my hand last year. Complete care, antibiotics etc for less then 6 bucks. Had my teeth cleaned yesterday for $12.00. Had some preemptive innoculations for my girlfiend, HEP A, Tetnus and Typhoid Fever, 60 bucks. We could not see the Doc in the USA for less then 150.00.....Here they never ask for an insurance card, just "How can we help", so refreshing......

ebs001 08-11-2011 05:03 PM

I use Medipac Travel Insurance - Medipac Travel Medical Insurance for Canadian Travellers, Snowbirds and Seniors. They have the option of having a deductable as high as $10,000. You can also claim medical expenses through OHIP when out of the country. In Ontario you can only be out of the province for 7 months in any 12 month period (most provinces are 6 months). You can get a once in a life time 2 year exemption from this rule which you get through Service Ontario.

bandaidmd 08-12-2011 03:59 PM

aventyr60,
"Had some preemptive innoculations for my girlfiend, HEP A, Tetnus and Typhoid Fever"

I hope you meant your girlfriend got the inoculations..lol

aeventyr60 08-12-2011 10:00 PM

and a few other tests....LMAO

huangtian12 09-03-2012 07:29 AM

Re: Travel medical insurance suggestions???

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 760976)
A lot of cruisers do not have health insurance. You really need it in the US since the medical costs are so high but elsewhere not. My wife and I are basically quite healthy so decided not to get insurance. In two years these are the costs"

I have been fighting staph skin infections (fairly common in tropical cruising it seems) and have had three experiences}
1. clinic in Managareva, Gambier islands; went about five times; once to see doctor and the other times nurse to have dressing changed
2. fancy new hospital in Papeete, Tahiti and was treated by a doctor and 2 nurses for about an hour in total including have a boil cleaned out; cost about $60; prescriptions and various medical supplies $110 (French Polynesia is very pricey)
3. private hospital in Suva, Fiji (public hospital would have been much cheaper); doctor for about 10 minutes was about $16; prescription (oral antibiotic) $12

We have a pretty good first aid kit on board but should have had more sterile pads and an antibiotic specific for skin infections (Keflex for example). We had Cipro and apparently it is not that good for skin bugs. A doctor on another boat suggested we should have a more powerful painkiller (something based on morphine) in addition to the two prescription ones we have.

I think maybe the medical costs in the private hospital is lower than formal hospital. Sometimes, we should prepare the prescription, in order to make sure our health insurance.

Brent Swain 09-04-2012 07:27 PM

Re: Travel medical insurance suggestions???

I'd steer clear of Travel Underwriters , World wide mediclaim. I once made a claim with them and they refused to pay, as I didnt have a credit card for them to put my expenses on and force me to go to court for a settlement. I've met others who have had similar experiences with them.