Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011

bermudasailor is on a distinguished road
Travel medical insurance suggestions???

Does anyone know of an isurer that has policies for circumnavigations that is offered to canadians?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Check with your credit card company. I know Visa offers travellers insurance, but I don't know the specifics of their coverage.
Old 08-10-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Bermuda,

Check out Diver's Alert Network -- they offer varying types of coverage, and are a very responsive, reputable and proven company. They actively manage cases from minor to full blown aerial medevac missions.
Old 08-11-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
A lot of cruisers do not have health insurance. You really need it in the US since the medical costs are so high but elsewhere not. My wife and I are basically quite healthy so decided not to get insurance. In two years these are the costs"

I have been fighting staph skin infections (fairly common in tropical cruising it seems) and have had three experiences}
1. clinic in Managareva, Gambier islands; went about five times; once to see doctor and the other times nurse to have dressing changed
2. fancy new hospital in Papeete, Tahiti and was treated by a doctor and 2 nurses for about an hour in total including have a boil cleaned out; cost about $60; prescriptions and various medical supplies $110 (French Polynesia is very pricey)
3. private hospital in Suva, Fiji (public hospital would have been much cheaper); doctor for about 10 minutes was about $16; prescription (oral antibiotic) $12

We have a pretty good first aid kit on board but should have had more sterile pads and an antibiotic specific for skin infections (Keflex for example). We had Cipro and apparently it is not that good for skin bugs. A doctor on another boat suggested we should have a more powerful painkiller (something based on morphine) in addition to the two prescription ones we have.
Old 08-11-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
We opted out of medical insurance. Have had great care in the 3rd world at ridiculously cheap prices. Have Dan insurance with the medical care option of $10,000.00. 10 K goes along way in the 3rd world.

Went to the local clinic for 7 stitches in my hand last year. Complete care, antibiotics etc for less then 6 bucks. Had my teeth cleaned yesterday for $12.00. Had some preemptive innoculations for my girlfiend, HEP A, Tetnus and Typhoid Fever, 60 bucks. We could not see the Doc in the USA for less then 150.00.....Here they never ask for an insurance card, just "How can we help", so refreshing......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-11-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I use Medipac Travel Insurance - Medipac Travel Medical Insurance for Canadian Travellers, Snowbirds and Seniors. They have the option of having a deductable as high as $10,000. You can also claim medical expenses through OHIP when out of the country. In Ontario you can only be out of the province for 7 months in any 12 month period (most provinces are 6 months). You can get a once in a life time 2 year exemption from this rule which you get through Service Ontario.
Old 08-12-2011

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
aventyr60,
"Had some preemptive innoculations for my girlfiend, HEP A, Tetnus and Typhoid Fever"

I hope you meant your girlfriend got the inoculations..lol
Old 08-12-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
and a few other tests....LMAO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-03-2012

huangtian12 is on a distinguished road
Re: Travel medical insurance suggestions???

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
A lot of cruisers do not have health insurance. You really need it in the US since the medical costs are so high but elsewhere not. My wife and I are basically quite healthy so decided not to get insurance. In two years these are the costs"

I have been fighting staph skin infections (fairly common in tropical cruising it seems) and have had three experiences}
1. clinic in Managareva, Gambier islands; went about five times; once to see doctor and the other times nurse to have dressing changed
2. fancy new hospital in Papeete, Tahiti and was treated by a doctor and 2 nurses for about an hour in total including have a boil cleaned out; cost about $60; prescriptions and various medical supplies $110 (French Polynesia is very pricey)
3. private hospital in Suva, Fiji (public hospital would have been much cheaper); doctor for about 10 minutes was about $16; prescription (oral antibiotic) $12

We have a pretty good first aid kit on board but should have had more sterile pads and an antibiotic specific for skin infections (Keflex for example). We had Cipro and apparently it is not that good for skin bugs. A doctor on another boat suggested we should have a more powerful painkiller (something based on morphine) in addition to the two prescription ones we have.
I think maybe the medical costs in the private hospital is lower than formal hospital. Sometimes, we should prepare the prescription, in order to make sure our health insurance.

Old 09-04-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Travel medical insurance suggestions???

I'd steer clear of Travel Underwriters , World wide mediclaim. I once made a claim with them and they refused to pay, as I didnt have a credit card for them to put my expenses on and force me to go to court for a settlement. I've met others who have had similar experiences with them.