Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Residency

As I approach launch date, I find myself with and administrative question. With no permanent home address ashore, where does a cruiser maintain residency? Can he maintain a driver's license from the State he departed from when he cast off? What does he use for an address as far as the Government (State or Federal) is concerned?

Dave

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
I maintain a permanent address at a mail box company in Seattle. You probably have one somewhere in Alaska. Good for renewing your USCG documentation (home port), tax base, your permanent fund check and other important information. Best to have your residency in a low tax state.... I do most stuff by internet, and try to get off as many mailing lists as possible. No monthly snail mail statements from anybody. I have a drivers license in another state and 2 other countries, and also citizenship in another country...so it does get a bit complicated

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-15-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Dave, check out St Brendan's Isle, mail forwarding service in FL. They cater especially to cruisers; will help you maintain FL residency and drivers license, will act as your agent for renewing documentation, if you do get snail mail they will scan it and email you the picture of the contents (sometimes all you need is the information, not the piece of paper) and if you do need the item, or a package, they are knowledgeable about shipping worldwide. Great folks, and very careful of the details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-15-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Dave - I'm homeported in Copper Center, have a PO Box and my bank in Indiana, and have my brother in IN forward my mail from the PO Box. My drivers license is expired (though I could have renewed it), which is another break from the grid. I use my Passport for ID, if my expired license isn't sufficient.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 08-15-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
St Brendan's Isle service

+1
Old 08-15-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Am I correct in assuming that you are not a true "cruiser" with "choice" of residency, if you keep your boat at a marina? And, if you spend 6 months in a slip and 6 months somewhere else on a mooring (or another slip), could you choose where your official "city/town" is? Also, if you have a J-O-B, I would imagine that could enter into it - I know it doesn't matter where you live, as far as Tax-a-chusetts is concerned - so I'm sure it's the same if you live on a boat and moor it or stay at a slip in say, NH - as far as state income tax is concerned. hmmmmm. I'm probably mixing apples with oranges here - state income tax versus what constitutes "permanent" residency for purposes of voting, driver's license, etc. Oh, I will be keeping my car too -which is currently registered in Mao-tse-chusetts (same as Tax-a-chusetts). lol...
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Old 08-15-2011

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Luke -

God willing, when I retire in about a year and a half, we'll leave Alaska, maybe go to school for a year or so in the lower 48 during which time we'll buy our boat. After that we go cruising (without home marina, moorage or a home on shore). That's the game plan at any rate...not sure if we'll be "real cruisers" or not but I think it MIGHT qualify...

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"