Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011
Landlocked

moskalm is on a distinguished road
No northerly winds. Use that stream and catch some fish!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
I understand that the cost to clear in for a 41 foot boat is $300. Can anyone explain the rule if one were to return to the US and then come back to the Bahamas, say a month later. Must you pay the $300 again or can you use the prior clearance? Is there a link somewhere that explains the policy? Thanks
Pete
Old 08-29-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
I'm a complete NOOBIE, and you probably already are planning to do this, but since there are quite a few boats going to the Bahamas from Florida, it might be a good idea to try and go together, at least for part of the journey. Now, being a noob, I'm sure there might be issues with different speed and seamanship capabilities in a "flotilla", but even if you just try to keep in VHF range, it might add to the safety and enjoyment of the passage?

I'm in the Boston area, so my long-range fantasy is to do the ICW, check out some FL stops, and then head over to the Bahamas! So, I'm already starting to think about this "voyage"!
Old 08-29-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
I understand that the cost to clear in for a 41 foot boat is $300. Can anyone explain the rule if one were to return to the US and then come back to the Bahamas, say a month later. Must you pay the $300 again or can you use the prior clearance? Is there a link somewhere that explains the policy? Thanks
Pete
Bahamas Marinas and Port of Entry for Yachts and Boats

I'm pretty sure that the fee includes 1 reentry within I think 6 months. You can call them and check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
I'm a complete NOOBIE, and you probably already are planning to do this, but since there are quite a few boats going to the Bahamas from Florida, it might be a good idea to try and go together, at least for part of the journey. Now, being a noob, I'm sure there might be issues with different speed and seamanship capabilities in a "flotilla", but even if you just try to keep in VHF range, it might add to the safety and enjoyment of the passage?

I'm in the Boston area, so my long-range fantasy is to do the ICW, check out some FL stops, and then head over to the Bahamas! So, I'm already starting to think about this "voyage"!
There are a couple of staging areas in Florida that people use before crossing to the Bahamas. Boats crossing to Abaco generally stage at Lake Worth. Boats crossing to Bimini, Chub Key or Nassau stage in Biscayne Bay south of Miami. There people make arrangements on VHF radio to cross. There are usually people who are quite familair with the crossing and anyone is welcome to tag along. There can be days of discussions waiting for the perfect window. Departure times and further itineraries are discussed. It's all part of the cruising fraternity.
Old 08-30-2011
On The Learning Curve

veprjack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
There are a couple of staging areas in Florida that people use before crossing to the Bahamas. Boats crossing to Abaco generally stage at Lake Worth. Boats crossing to Bimini, Chub Key or Nassau stage in Biscayne Bay south of Miami. There people make arrangements on VHF radio to cross. There are usually people who are quite familair with the crossing and anyone is welcome to tag along. There can be days of discussions waiting for the perfect window. Departure times and further itineraries are discussed. It's all part of the cruising fraternity.
Exactly what I had hoped for! Thanks!
Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
Old 08-30-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Stay at Marathon, enjoy the great atmosphere there while waiting for a wx window. You might not leave Marathon be warned. It is a great place to hang out. From Marathon, ride the gulf stream up to Bimini and enjoy the extra 2-4 knots of speed. Drop a fishing line with a pink squid with a feathers and catch dinner.
Explorer charts are great and a must for Bimini. I found my newly update Raymarine charts to be better than the Explorer charts once clear of the Bimini area. Go figure, It was a huge surprise last year. Going again next year in for the months of April and May.
I did the Abacos this year and will do the Exumas next year. Abacos is great especially for first timers. A bit of a sail to get there. Preferred route is up to north to Mermaid Rock to get the Marsh Harbor.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 10-04-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Pete
I have not seen any responses. I'm still interested in knowing whether and how one can return to the Bahamas under the same cruising permit. Can anyone explain the rule from the Bahamian standpoint? Thanks
Pete
Old 10-05-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have not seen any responses. I'm still interested in knowing whether and how one can return to the Bahamas under the same cruising permit. Can anyone explain the rule from the Bahamian standpoint? Thanks
Pete
Here's what noonsite.com says.
Cruising Permits
The Cruising Permit, form C39, (transire) is issued on arrival is valid for 12 months. The current fees now permit multiple entries during any 90-day period, which means that a vessel may leave the Bahamas and re-enter as many times as they like within the first 90 days of a Cruising Permit's validity, without payment of any additional fee.
Old 10-05-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Here's what noonsite.com says.
Cruising Permits
The Cruising Permit, form C39, (transire) is issued on arrival is valid for 12 months. The current fees now permit multiple entries during any 90-day period, which means that a vessel may leave the Bahamas and re-enter as many times as they like within the first 90 days of a Cruising Permit's validity, without payment of any additional fee.
Thanks a lot. Based upon that, free re-entry is only permitted during the first 3 months of the 12 month cruising permit. Too bad it's not longer.
Pete