Bahamas Bound, Help!! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 58 Old 08-29-2011
Landlocked
 
moskalm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
No northerly winds. Use that stream and catch some fish!
moskalm is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 58 Old 08-29-2011
Beneteau 411
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
I understand that the cost to clear in for a 41 foot boat is $300. Can anyone explain the rule if one were to return to the US and then come back to the Bahamas, say a month later. Must you pay the $300 again or can you use the prior clearance? Is there a link somewhere that explains the policy? Thanks
Pete
prroots is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 58 Old 08-29-2011
On The Learning Curve
 
veprjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: On my boat - Salem, MA
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
I'm a complete NOOBIE, and you probably already are planning to do this, but since there are quite a few boats going to the Bahamas from Florida, it might be a good idea to try and go together, at least for part of the journey. Now, being a noob, I'm sure there might be issues with different speed and seamanship capabilities in a "flotilla", but even if you just try to keep in VHF range, it might add to the safety and enjoyment of the passage?

I'm in the Boston area, so my long-range fantasy is to do the ICW, check out some FL stops, and then head over to the Bahamas! So, I'm already starting to think about this "voyage"!
veprjack is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 58 Old 08-29-2011
Senior Member
 
remetau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
I understand that the cost to clear in for a 41 foot boat is $300. Can anyone explain the rule if one were to return to the US and then come back to the Bahamas, say a month later. Must you pay the $300 again or can you use the prior clearance? Is there a link somewhere that explains the policy? Thanks
Pete
Bahamas Marinas and Port of Entry for Yachts and Boats

I'm pretty sure that the fee includes 1 reentry within I think 6 months. You can call them and check.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
remetau is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 58 Old 08-30-2011
Senior Member
 
ebs001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprjack View Post
I'm a complete NOOBIE, and you probably already are planning to do this, but since there are quite a few boats going to the Bahamas from Florida, it might be a good idea to try and go together, at least for part of the journey. Now, being a noob, I'm sure there might be issues with different speed and seamanship capabilities in a "flotilla", but even if you just try to keep in VHF range, it might add to the safety and enjoyment of the passage?

I'm in the Boston area, so my long-range fantasy is to do the ICW, check out some FL stops, and then head over to the Bahamas! So, I'm already starting to think about this "voyage"!
There are a couple of staging areas in Florida that people use before crossing to the Bahamas. Boats crossing to Abaco generally stage at Lake Worth. Boats crossing to Bimini, Chub Key or Nassau stage in Biscayne Bay south of Miami. There people make arrangements on VHF radio to cross. There are usually people who are quite familair with the crossing and anyone is welcome to tag along. There can be days of discussions waiting for the perfect window. Departure times and further itineraries are discussed. It's all part of the cruising fraternity.
ebs001 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 58 Old 08-30-2011
On The Learning Curve
 
veprjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: On my boat - Salem, MA
Posts: 133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
There are a couple of staging areas in Florida that people use before crossing to the Bahamas. Boats crossing to Abaco generally stage at Lake Worth. Boats crossing to Bimini, Chub Key or Nassau stage in Biscayne Bay south of Miami. There people make arrangements on VHF radio to cross. There are usually people who are quite familair with the crossing and anyone is welcome to tag along. There can be days of discussions waiting for the perfect window. Departure times and further itineraries are discussed. It's all part of the cruising fraternity.
Exactly what I had hoped for! Thanks!

Pearson 303 Hull #137
S/V "C'est Magnifique"
Salem Harbor
veprjack is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 58 Old 08-30-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
 
Melrna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Solomons MD for the summer.
Posts: 813
Thanks: 17
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 12
 
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Stay at Marathon, enjoy the great atmosphere there while waiting for a wx window. You might not leave Marathon be warned. It is a great place to hang out. From Marathon, ride the gulf stream up to Bimini and enjoy the extra 2-4 knots of speed. Drop a fishing line with a pink squid with a feathers and catch dinner.
Explorer charts are great and a must for Bimini. I found my newly update Raymarine charts to be better than the Explorer charts once clear of the Bimini area. Go figure, It was a huge surprise last year. Going again next year in for the months of April and May.
I did the Abacos this year and will do the Exumas next year. Abacos is great especially for first timers. A bit of a sail to get there. Preferred route is up to north to Mermaid Rock to get the Marsh Harbor.

Melissa Renee
Moondance
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Melrna is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 58 Old 10-04-2011
Beneteau 411
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
I understand that the cost to clear in for a 41 foot boat is $300. Can anyone explain the rule if one were to return to the US and then come back to the Bahamas, say a month later. Must you pay the $300 again or can you use the prior clearance? Is there a link somewhere that explains the policy? Thanks
Pete
I have not seen any responses. I'm still interested in knowing whether and how one can return to the Bahamas under the same cruising permit. Can anyone explain the rule from the Bahamian standpoint? Thanks
Pete
prroots is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 58 Old 10-05-2011
Senior Member
 
ebs001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prroots View Post
I have not seen any responses. I'm still interested in knowing whether and how one can return to the Bahamas under the same cruising permit. Can anyone explain the rule from the Bahamian standpoint? Thanks
Pete
Here's what noonsite.com says.
Cruising Permits
The Cruising Permit, form C39, (transire) is issued on arrival is valid for 12 months. The current fees now permit multiple entries during any 90-day period, which means that a vessel may leave the Bahamas and re-enter as many times as they like within the first 90 days of a Cruising Permit's validity, without payment of any additional fee.
ebs001 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 58 Old 10-05-2011
Beneteau 411
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 387
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Here's what noonsite.com says.
Cruising Permits
The Cruising Permit, form C39, (transire) is issued on arrival is valid for 12 months. The current fees now permit multiple entries during any 90-day period, which means that a vessel may leave the Bahamas and re-enter as many times as they like within the first 90 days of a Cruising Permit's validity, without payment of any additional fee.
Thanks a lot. Based upon that, free re-entry is only permitted during the first 3 months of the 12 month cruising permit. Too bad it's not longer.
Pete
prroots is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bahamas Bound! Anyone else? captjohnhuett Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 9 05-30-2011 11:39 AM
Bahamas bound - mid June ~ Buddy Boats?? sailndoug Caribbean Islands 3 05-30-2011 11:36 AM
Bahamas Bound jimbee Introduce Yourself 0 05-27-2008 03:00 PM
Bahamas bound lucid General Discussion (sailing related) 2 01-17-2007 07:11 PM
Beneteau/Bahamas bound dch Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 1 06-16-2004 02:23 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome