Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Advice?

I think my life has hit a cross roads.
Both with my job and with relationships.
As an electrical engineer, I always knew this day would come, the day when you are not so much needed anymore. I just didnt know exactly what day it would be.

Anyway, this could be a time for me to pack what I want into my boat, and waive bye-bye. Problem is, my boat isn't totally ready the way I would like it.
I have been mostly adding features to the boat so far, and this was supposed to be the phase now, where i sharpened my sailing skills. I would classify myself as high level beginner at this point. Not heavy on real experience, but have read stuff.

I have a new harken roller furler with a 150 genoa. I have a new main with 2 reef points, but no reef system yet and nothing led back to the cockpit. I suppose i could get a gale-sail for the forestay and quickly rig the reefing.

So, the question I have for the more experienced sailors is, leave now or just step up the pace in boat work for the next season to leave south?

Thanks for ur valued opinion...
groundhog
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2011

groundhog is on a distinguished road
more info...
27 ft Albin Vega
Single handing
Old 08-30-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Groundhog,
I'd love to say go now, but you should finish some of the important items. Running the lines back to the cockpit is not that hard, I did it on my C30. Look on ebay for nice used (or new) deck organizers and rope clutches after you figure out what you want to install. The reefing set up is like-wise pretty easy. Do a search for reefing set ups and you will be able to follow the set up that you like. How is your running and standing rigging? Get out and sail. A lot. Practice reefing in heavy wind, learn your boat systems, but sail. I'm sure some people here will say to just go now, and there is something to that. You never know what is coming down the pipe, good or bad. However, you don't want to pick up and go until you are reasonably sure that your boat is sound and ready.
Just my two cents. I'm actually jealous that you can make such a choice now. I've still got some things to line up and see through - Kids, school, family, etc. But I do want to go soon.

Good luck, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Old 08-30-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Pretty obviously you need to get the main reefing happening. Led back to cockpit would be nice for single handing but not absolutely essential. Then again not all that expensive to do is it ? Gale Sail ? Not sure but you sure as heck need something smaller and tougher than a 150 overlapper.

Other than that, hows your rigging in general ? What's happening down below ? Ground tackle ? Lights ?

So get her in shape within reason and while you are doing that go sailing and get the practice.

Cheers and good luck to you.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-30-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Head South slowly......figure out some of the things as you go. The boat will always require attention...Keep it simple. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-31-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Groundhog,

If you're mentally prepared to cast off all lines, then do so.

A "fully prepared" boat's a long way from good enough and that difference often keeps folks tied to the dock. As long as the hull's sound, you've got good ground tackle, there's reliable aux propulsion, nav lights are good, etc (basically is the boat safe for inland waters) the rest of the stuff can be addressed while underway.

While the boat's not ready to cross oceans, it's certainly close to being ready to meander down the ICW with coastal hops in favorable weather. Be prudent, be patient, and get on with it.
Old 08-31-2011
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Groundhog,

If you're mentally prepared to cast off all lines, then do so.

A "fully prepared" boat's a long way from good enough and that difference often keeps folks tied to the dock. As long as the hull's sound, you've got good ground tackle, there's reliable aux propulsion, nav lights are good, etc (basically is the boat safe for inland waters) the rest of the stuff can be addressed while underway.

While the boat's not ready to cross oceans, it's certainly close to being ready to meander down the ICW with coastal hops in favorable weather. Be prudent, be patient, and get on with it.
I agree. Although your boat is clearly not ready for significant offshore runs yet (nor is your experience ready), there shouldn't be a major problem with working on those things as you make your way to warmer climates and plan only short hops with clear weather windows. You will never be able to be totally prepared until you try things out, and if you are mentally ready to start, just take is slow and easy. Good luck and safe passage.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 08-31-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
As to the reefing setup... it's only helpful to run the reef lines aft if the halyard and vang are also led aft... Also if a trip to the gooseneck is required (for the tack hooks, say) then for a singlehander you may as well leave everything on the mast/boom and be able to do the reef from the mast area.

Also near the top of your pre-shove-off list perhaps ought to be some reliable method of self steering, a simple autopilot to hold course while you move around hoisting/dousing/reefing etc. or a more robust self powered vane for major passages.

You've got the boat for it, there's a fellow (posted on elsewhere here) who's just sailed through the northwest passage on a sistership... his blog would be worth reading!

Link here:

Solo Around the Americas

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-31-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I can't imagine how an electrical engineer isn't needed somewhere, but that's none of my business.

You have a tough boat, and I think that you would be just fine with completing your reefing gear, buying a storm jib, and departing (as long as the rigging, electrical, and aux. are all in good shape).
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-31-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you're running from issues...just know that yes, you can run away, but sooner or later you run out of places to run to.