SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Favorite Cruising Music?

11K views 52 replies 48 participants last post by  MnLandLoc 
#1 ·
OK - CSN&Y's "Southern Cross" is pretty good and Chris Cross' "Sailing" is a no-brainer (if you like him). And then there's Bob Marley in general and while cruising the islands it's a "must". I like everthing from Heavy Metal (though probably not while cruising) to Mozart, so I'm probably weird.

What music do you all like to listen to when cruising? Yeah, I know that on a watch you a) don't want to interfere with people's sleep and b) don't want to block out important sounds that warrant your attention, but on a nice day with good visibility, what "does it" for you?:)

#27 ·
Mood and situation determine whether I play music, and if I do, what kind. Sometimes it can be a distraction, sometimes a complement. The only "rule" I have about it is whether it makes my day more enjoyable. And, there is no Buffett on my boat, not by design, just worked out that way.

I got the name for my boat from a song:

Reactions: kb3pwc
#30 · (Edited)
Some of these are hard to come by from traditional sources. We have about 180 that we call sailing type songs, sea songs and island songs. Many others are from Eileen Quinn, Buffett, and Eric Stone.

Just for fun we also have the theme from GILLIGAN'S ISLAND.

Outward Bound - Tom Paxton
Peace and Quiet - Michael McCloud
Back To The Island - Michael McCloud
Costa Rica Calling - Carl Peachy
Adventures In Paradise - Arthur Lyman
American Dream - Michael McCloud
Be - Neil Diamond
Beach In A Bottle - Joe Bennett
Beyond The Horizon - Bob Dylan
Blue Boat Home - Peter Mayer
Blue Sunset - Jimmy Louis
Chasin The Wind - Michael McCloud
The Conch Republic Song - Michael McCloud
Crossing The Bar - Salamander Crossing
Hooked On The Easy Life - Terry Cassidy
Marathon BY Midnight - Carl Peachy
My Corona - Gene Mitchell
The Water Is Wide - Pete Seeger
We All Are Sailors - Joe Bennett
No More - Gene Mitchell

#35 ·
Thanks for taking the time for that list leocat66. I will check out each one of them. You too MikeOReilly.
No body mentioned Cool Change by LRB. I listen to that one at least once a week if not more often, reminds me of why I am eating at home all the time and saving as much of my meager wages as possible. Or does that one fall into the same catagory as Jimmy Buffett? Whom I have most all of his songs and they still bring a smile when I hear them yet again and play them often just to get into a light hearted mood. I freely admit to being a parrot head. Christopher Cross, well I listen to 'Sailing' when it comes up on the ipod in shuffle mode, but how about his 'Ride Like the Wind', it's not a far stretch to adapt parts if not mostly to sailing. Most anything Santana, check out 'Shape Shifter', and of course 'Europa' and 'Samba Pi Ti', oh and 'Singing Winds and Crying Beasts', 'Vera Cruz'. Even Madonna's 'Isla Bonita'. For the jazz lovers check out Gato Barberi and Two Cellos. Erikah Badu is very nice for romantic evenings with a special mate, add red wine. I am gravitating towards clasical more and more, there is such a wide range of classical music to fit all moods and goes very nicely as background music to the wind in the sails and waves past the hull.
Thanks again all, as you can tell, I can use and appreciate new music to explore. So glad I perused this thread, and will continue doing so.
Larry

#38 ·
For me, it's definitively music-free when sailing. My favorite moment when sailing is actually a sound as well: It's that moment after you've set your sails, when you turn off the motor and yet somehow, magically, the boat is still moving forward. It's that moment when I realize that this forward motion isn't burning a limited tank of gas, and yes, I really could go anywhere I wanted.

For rainy, cold winter days, when sailnet and a bookshelf of nautical books are the only things keeping me sane I like Awolnation's Sail to get the sailing/racing blood pumping.

I also STRONGLY agree that at anchor, especially during that magic sunset time, music should not be heard beyond your own boat. Unfortunately this also seems to be the time that everybody wants to run a genset.:rolleyes:

MedSailor

#42 ·
Our boats theme song is "Where the boat leaves from" by the Zac Brown Band. We listen to a lot of him, Buffet, Sublime, Long Beach Dub Allstars, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson, Bostones, Marley, John Browns Body, and some other mixed country and reggae.

We have an iPod for the boat that has several playlists. We will also hook up the iPhone and put on Pandora if close to shore.

#43 ·
Anything from the Dubliners will do me just fine

#44 ·
It's interesting to discover what albums/playlists/mixes end up becoming favourites- Tunes that raely get played in the dirt home become boat favourites. Last season Sting's "Symphonicity" was in heavy rotation and this tune...

led to the purchase of the "Cold Mountain" sountrack, which became the go-to album for winds from 10-15 knots.
Over 15 knots the Big Fun mix comes out- Radar love, a crapload of AC/DC, Dropkick Murphys and of course the ultimate fun wind song, ZZTop's "La Grange."

Speaking of soundtracks, "50 First Dates" is a Saturday afternoon light wind, bob n bake, sailing with guests favourite.

Light wind night sailing- jan hammer's miami vice tracks ( "Evan", "Crockett's theme" etc.,)and early 80s pat metheny and just for fun, Felix Da Housecat's remix of Nina Simone's "Sinnerman"

#45 ·
I love all kinds of music too, from classical to blues to country, but don't listen to music while underway, for the reasons everyone else gave... but, sitting at anchor with a glass of wine, anything by Van Morrison does it... "Into the Mystic"... there are many references to sailing and the sea in his music. Poetry.

#48 ·
Hey you all don't forget Enya songs. To name just a couple, try Book of Days or Caribbean Blue. Nearly all of her songs are awesome to listen too while sailing. In fact I like her songs so much I thought about naming my next boat Enya :)

#51 ·
I have a playlist that includes Reggae starts doing covers of Grateful Dead tunes that is very nice on the boat.

Also,

Henri DiKongue C'est la Vie

Lucky Dube (RIP)

Johnny Clegg/Juluka Scatterlings of Africa

In the evening

Roger Calloway Come to the Meadow CD

Anything by Charlie Haden, esp. Sophisticated Ladies

Eva Cassidy

'Trane

RichardM
S/V Raven
Cal 33 West River, MD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.