Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2003

cptnoz is on a distinguished road
full time cruising insurance ??

Well this really has been quite a heated subject.

Bottom line is that there is no right and wrong. If you can afford it do it - if you can''t or don''t want to then don''t - but don''t complain when it all goes wrong. You get what you pay for which can include peace of mind on the way.

There is a significant increase in insurance once you sail over the horizon though and that is what I thought this post was initially all about. I guess it depends on how YOU assess the risks compared to the company who offers the cover. No magic there.

Insurance is also becoming increasingly expensive so that only makes the decision process harder. For most of us though who no longer hanker for that far horizon local insurance is still worthwhile.

Johnno
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2003

pspsail is on a distinguished road

If talking about health insurance the Oct issue of Blue Water Sailing Magazine has an article about international health insurance aimed at the cruisers travelling o/s
John (Fitzy)
Old 09-21-2003

biff22 is on a distinguished road

I''ve got a 1980 37'' Irwin sailboat and got it insured thru Allstate. For $30,000 with a $1,000 deductable and $300,000 libility, I''m paying $209.00 per year.Only problem I had is that when I took the boat from S.C. to Fl., I had to re-do everything with Allstate in Fl. Also havent been given a good answer to what I need to do about coverage if I take the boat to the Bahamas. All they could or would tell me is that''s it''s covered 100 miles off the USA coast. The Abaco is about 150 miles. Still working on that. Hope this help''s.
Old 05-31-2006
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
and Jeff......PLEASE learn some of the basics in life like SPELLING and GRAMMAR. Good Communication skills are not just for the educated.
Old 06-09-2006

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Insurance

Who needs it? Well the other threads have already said most of it but I have been in the unfortunate position to be on my own thousands of miles from home watching my boat lying on it's side in 4 metres of water with the keel lying to one sideand everything in the boat trashed. The pain that I had felt paying out lots of dinero for comprehensive boat insurance was quickly forgotten.
One bit of advice though, talk to your insurers all the time about changes in your plan.
Like changing from fully crewed to short or singlehanding.
Like changing you trip plan from the Azores to Eritrea (sic?).
You'll find lots of little gems in your small print about what they won't do if you don't do.
As far as life insurance goes, I'm not the right person to give advice, I've cancelled most of mine becuase like one of the other threads said, I'm old enough not to worry too much about what is left behind when I die. I'm one of the guys that makes life insurance better for others. I paid all my life and never claimed a thing.
Good luck.