Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2003

JoeNJayne is on a distinguished road
full time cruising insurance ??

Hi all,

Please can you advise what you personally do re insurance for full time live-aboard cruising ?. (2 adults)

I want the flexibility to go anywhere.. are we gonna have to bite the bullet and do without ??.. can you get ''third party only'' ??

J & J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road

Could prob go without unless you have a boat real expensive. I hate insurance, like life insurance, people take out life insurance when there young, i think its a waste of money, just throw me in the woods, ocean, trash i dont care, i will be dead.
Old 09-12-2003

Augustan is on a distinguished road

Jeffamc,

From all your other posts it seems you hate everything!!

I suppose you don''t like insurance because it is a product of facsist, faceless multinational corporations..........or some such rantings like that!!

I actually like the idea of at least being able to insure my boat for damage it may do to other boats. At the moment I have full insurance as I''m still tied to my home waters (job, mortgage and other such responsibilities)

It''s better than just saying to the other boat owner "Oh well sorry mate, I don''t have any money to pay for the damage I did to your lovely boat.......you''ll just have to sue me for money I don''t have anyway!!"

Do you plan driving a car without so much as third party insurance? I''m sure glad I live 12,000 miles away from you!!

I do however agree with you on one point.....they can do what they want with me when I''m dead. No point wasting good money on fancy caskets and ceremony etc.

One more thing.....it''s "The System" that does actually allow people to go do things such as cruising. Think about this and how you can use this to your advantage without, of course, bludging off others.

Darren
S/V Augustan
Sydney, Australia
Old 09-12-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is anyone else tired of this kid hijacking the board to whine and gripe about how miserable life is for him? He has problems and is not wise enough to know it yet or how to correct them. I think he is lonely and wants to be heard, but I am really tired of the content.
Maybe if we quit feeding his distorted ego by responding, he will grow tired and move onto another board for his rantings. If he wishes to better himself he will read Stede''s post to him and take heed.
Old 09-12-2003

DonFoley is on a distinguished road

Insurance:

Life, Health or Boat?

Life: Actually a term GE policy for $250,000 each (cost: $72 a quarter, each)and a whole life policy from CU for $250,000 each (cost: $80 a month, each). Health, a PHCP type for $400 a month (family of 4) with a low deductible. Boat, Allstate at $500 a year for a $65,000 hull value.

Jeff: Doesn''t know anything yet. My CU policy at this point (10 years into it) pays for it''s own, everything else is earning 5% (small, but considering the past few years, out-earned many of my other investments).

Insurance isn''t needed if you don''t value your boat, health or life. Jeff doesn''t, yet. He doesn''t have a boat, he''s young and hasn''t sailed beyond the horizon (if at all). I have kids, if something happens to me, at LEAST at $500,000 will get them through college (Yes jeffy, these 11 and 12 year olds already know they''re college bound and they want to have jobs that help others).

Insurance, my young friend, is playing the odds. If I live, then they get ME, and I pay for all that stuff. If something happens to me, the STILL get through school and then some, my way of giving if I''m not around. Either way, they are taken care of. I''m not some old fart Jeff, I''m 40.

Same with the boat. A nice little hurricane is coming down on us right now. It''s track is currently RIGHT ON US. Do I care? Nope, I''ll just head inland with my crew (family). Screw the boat, it''s just a boat. It''s insured.

How can I shell out this money for insurance? I WENT TO COLLEGE AND DON''T HAVE TO WORK THAT HARD ANYMORE. Jeff, pay your dues and THEN goof off, like me. Otherwise you''ll spend your whole life explaining to people how you live your life the way you want to, while washing dishes and scrubbing grout. I have washed dishes and scrubbed grout (in high school) so I know of what I speak.

But for all his bravado, Jeff is just like us at his age (he won''t admit it, I''m sure) a scared kid trying to figure out what is next. By pretending to be ABOVE it, he thinks he won''t have to stoop to the depths of actually working for a living and building something (and being accepted!!! being able to do it!!!).

Jeff, we''ve all been there. Finish school, you''ll be fine. If your half as smart as you pretend to be, then you''ll find it''s actually a cake-walk and you won''t have to hide from it.

G''luck.

(p.s. i know jeff is from a generation that just likes to type on BBs and get responses, but that''s OK, it''s his way to generate feedback. it''s OUR generation that invented it, he''s just living in that world now. the question is, will he get his kicks from typing and pretending, or will he buy a boat and go SAIL!. Then he''ll know that feeling when the wind pops the main and the boat surges forward.)

Old 09-13-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road

Jeffamc -- have a young child that depends on you and you''d feel different about life insurance. If you''re single and nobody depends on you, then I agree.
Old 09-13-2003

About health insurance, well most desease can actually be prevented. If you look at the causes of health problems-
Cancer- Tobacco and eating unhealthy are the most common causes.
Heart problems- eating unhealthy, no excersise are most common.
Diabites- alcohol, eating unhealthy are most common. ect,ect,ect
well that Howard Dean supposenly promises if he gets ellected as president to provide free health care for all Americans.
Life insurance- like someone eles said, if you dont have children it dont matter much. Sharks need to eat just as much as the bugs do...
I noticed someone said "the system allows us to do things like cruise" but how is that? I thought people having been using boats for approx. 7000 years in Egypt is the oldest evidence archeologists could find. The "system" does make it somewhat harder to live for people because of the class system,ect people have to pay for just about everything, it takes us away from a "natural" life. On MSNBC a second ago i saw a man that got arrested for living in a national forest for more then 14 days(he was in a cave drinking rain water for 11 years). They just seem to make everything harder, and you need money for food, or anything. You can just wander around with no money or you will die, in the Amazon Rain forest i guess you could live with native americans, but even that is getting smaller and smaller because poor Brazilian farmers need land.
Old 09-13-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

Jeff:

I''d be the first to say I was wrong if you wind up living a full and rewarding life the way you say it can be done. I know it can be done, but very few (probably less that 1%) can do it.

Insurance is a necessary evil for those of us who consider ourselves responsible for the well-being of others. Others have mentioned life insurance and boat-owner''s insurance. I will mention health insurance.

Health insurance does more than mitigate the costs of contracting a desease. It also helps reduce the costs associated with accidents, like falling off a mast or getting burned or nearly drowning. There are situations on a boat that you cannot possibly foresee that can occur to you that will put you out of action, perhaps for a long time. Not having health insurance will most likely mean you''ll be treated at a willing hospital at the expense of the local citizens. Do you really want to be a burdern on society? Wouldn''t you rather be a contributor to society instead of a burden?

As you have pointed out, you have nothing, so you have nothing to lose. Perhaps that will be your situation till you die. However, perhaps someday you''ll meet someone that you''ll want to care for, and maybe have a family. If and when that happens, I think you''ll realize that all of us old-boat foggies were right.

Here''s the best part. You are at the cross-road of finishing H.S. or not. If you decide to finish it, you can still live the life you seem to prefer, but at least you''ll have that diploma. If you decide to drop-out, you''ll have no choice except to live that lifestyle. Many years down the road, you may find you made the wrong choice, and it will be much, much harder to rectify the situation.

However, as I said once before, "The world needs ditch-diggers too." Hope you have a strong back and that your health holds up.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 09-13-2003

yea, so many people are going to college, the world needs ditch-diggers so i will help society out by being one. Or i guess i could be a lab rat for a scientist, i could be a sperm donor, fast food, or i guess i could just move to a third world country and work at a sweat shop for american big buisness.
Old 09-13-2003

el is on a distinguished road

Jeffamc

PLEEEEEEASE - NOT A SPERM DONOR.