Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Land Anchored 60 yrs - How will liveaboard adjustment be?

My first introduction to sailing was over 40 years ago and I fell in love. Since then I have logged about 8000 miles, mostly as the primary person in charge. I have lived aboard for a maximum of a month and was sad to go back home. I've always felt happiest aboard a boat, even in the rough times.

But there was always a home (and a job) to go back to. So I'm wondering if there is none (home, that is), will that be a major adjustment?

Any stories about how you made the adjustment and what it was like would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
A member here has a great blog called "Life Afloat". I think her screen name here is Wing n Wing (or similar).
Old 09-08-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
WStar - thanx for the good word!
Julie - there's a lot to your question. Will you be living on a boat at a fixed location (like a marina) where you have a car and a land-base? Then, it'll be like living in a small condo. If you're planning on traveling, a.k.a. cruising, its a different kind of life. How attached are you to routine? To your possessions? To your local community? What kind of hobbies do you enjoy? (knitting or reading or digital photography make the transition easily; woodworking or model trains or billiards might be a challenge!) Tell us more about you so we can get more specific.

We've been living aboard 10 years now and have no intention of going back to land until we have to. The link to the blog Wandering Star mentioned in such complimentary terms is in my signature. Interestingly, I just wrote about new liveaboards here: http://www.hometownannapolis.com/blo...f-a-Dream.html and about folks who live aboard in place here: http://www.hometownannapolis.com/blo...-find-out.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
WStar - thanx for the good word!
How attached are you to routine?

To your possessions?

To your local community?

What kind of hobbies do you enjoy? (knitting or reading or digital photography make the transition easily; woodworking or model trains or billiards might be a challenge!) Tell us more about you so we can get more specific.
Attachments:
Possessions - only my golf clubs and good hand tools. I'm an avid golfer, electrician and woodworker.

Local community - not at all

I do enjoy photography and have a couple of cameras. I love fixing things so the boat will keep that love busy. I'm not sure how attached we will be to a marina. It all depends on my partner's long term plans.

I would like to cruise the Atlantic coast until my partner gets comfortable then little by little start cruising the islands and stopping wherever there is a golf course.

I envision a boat with a dedicated workspace because I know from experience things always need fixing. I have some heirloom woodworking hand tools that I'll part with only when I leave this earth. I'm sure they will come in handy.

Owning my own boat and living on it has been my intention for a very long time. I can't imagine going to my grave without knowing that life. I've been fixing up my house and plan to put it up for sale in the spring. I don't see any obstacles to that now (there were some before.)

I'm trying to prepare for everything I can. And even though I don't see any problems with leaving land behind, I was just wondering what others had experienced. Was there any time you regretted making the decision? If so, why?
Old 09-18-2011

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Tools may be minimal, skill saw or a small Miter saw that comes apart.
Have multi metal cutting blades along w/ a few types of wood blades.

Drills, 1 cordless (extra batt) and a regular 1/2" power drill (corded)
adjustable hole cutter is best, not a ton of separate attachment cutters.

Hack saw, wood saw, fold up saw.

adj. wrenches and regular wrench sets along w/ any special tools for your motor etc..

A Sink spanner wrench (sink drain nut type) comes in really handy w/ big nuts like stuffing box seal nuts.

Electrical crimpers, cutting pliers, terminal ends, tape and liquid tape.

long jumper cables can come in handy also.

rechargeable batteries for cameras etc, 4-6 sets minimum

Multi hole clevis pins in sizes you have on boatand cotter pins to fit them

HTH

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 09-20-2011

Epicpopsicle is on a distinguished road
I'm also an Electrician and handyman. There isn't a single tool that I own that doesn't have more than one purpose! No specialty tools at all. Space is limited so...
Old 09-20-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
For myself, I didn't find the transition at all hard. In fact, very little in my life changed other than my location and type of home. From what I've read of your posts so far, I think your biggest worry will be whether your partner can adapt, not yourself.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 09-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Living aboard for a year now and have no regrets. We had been cruising together for 2 week periods at a time. We also spent the first couple weekends on the boat to figure out routines; showers, dog walking, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Become a a part of the LA community; great folks usually.

Don't get too caught up in the commitment. You can always go back to land.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 09-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
From what I've read of your posts so far, I think your biggest worry will be whether your partner can adapt, not yourself.
Based on recent conversations we've had, I think you're right.
Old 09-28-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Hi Julie,

I am sure that WnW's blog will be a big help.

We have found that the biggest obstacle to success in the Living aboard and/or Cruising life is the inability to part with stuff. This one is second only to suffering withdrawals from facebook, email, telephones and all the other trappings of modern life, while away from the dock.

Living aboard at the dock is fairly easy unless one has physical disabilities that limit one's ability to get from dock to boat. You can have a storage locker (Or use your car or van for storage) for all the stuff that doesn't fit on the boat and you can keep your car and cell phones, 9-to-5 routine, cable TV etc. It is just like living in a floating trailer park.

Cruising, i.e. actually leaving the marina with no specific plan to return, is either much simpler or MUCH more complicated. Your choice.

Want to know what it is really like "Out there"? Maybe THIS will help give you some idea.

Laura and I have been living aboard together for over fifteen years now. We have been actively cruising, full time, since May 2007.

Before we married in 1999 she confided that she was apprehensive about crossing oceans and being at sea for weeks at a time. I arranged for us to spend our honeymoon sailing as crew from Vancouver, to Kailua-Kona on a sail training ship, the Endeavour Replica, a 97' LOD three masted wooden square rigger. That three week voyage, as they say, "Sealed the Deal". After that, we immediately made plans to quit our jobs and go cruising.