Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Do You Have A Workshop On Your Boat?

I was wondering how many liveaboards have a dedicated workshop on board?

I have a workbench in my garage and a workshop in my basement and I couldn't imagine not having something on board if I make the move to liveaboard.

Is it practical to have a dedicated workshop on board or does one just have to make do when fixing things?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
JM,

Yes and no -- you pretty much make do with what you can create. Larger boats provide more opportunity to carve out space than smaller ones, and some boat designs are easier to adapt than others. In my particular case, the cockpit and docks have been the actual work areas.

When we moved aboard, I pretty much converted the quarterberth into a storage area for tools/materials/supplies. Larger materials (plywood primarily) went under our pullman berth matress forward. I accepted that using power tools might not always feasible, and laid on some old school hand tools to compensate. As a benefit, my overall woodworking skills have improved even when using power tools -- and I pretty much grew up in a woodshop. I've found that when using hand tools, I tend to take more time to consider exactly how I'm going to do things before I start into making any cuts.

I didn't leave all the power tools behind, though -- the Fein MultiMaster is almost always the first tool I reach for on most projects. I also kept a jigsaw, an RO sander, a buffer, a router, a small angle grinder, a Dremel, and cordless drill, etc.

Obviously, nobody has real, full sized shop tools on their boat. I have run across folks who have benchtop sized tools aboard -- one guy even had a lathe!

One thing to keep in mind is that with a little patience, persistence and an outgoing personality, you can often find other sailors or facilities in/around marinas that will help you out.
Old 09-08-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Really depends on the size of the boat. One thing I liked about the early Niagara 35 was that the vee berth was basically set up as a work area.

On my 32 footer, I get by without a dedicated space.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
The entire boat is a work shop, from time to time.
wingNwing and Captainmeme like this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-08-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Seems to be a common response. No dedicated shop aboard here either. Aboard, we have a dremel and mostly hand tools. In our home marina, we have a nearby storage unit with circular saw, belt sander, router, even a small portable table saw, etc, and storage for sheets of plywood or other building materials, and work out of the back of a van. I miss the big drill press, lathe and other tools from the days we had the kitchen design business, tho!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-08-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
entire boat is a work in progress with basic tools& some battery types[skill saw drills etc]but i must admit to a machine shop and fabricator across the harbor at casco bay welding [at the fish peir across the harbor,on the portland side].hes my brother so the price is rite...only problem is waiting my turn...
Old 09-08-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I have one, and it's 9ft x 4 1/2ft with 20 storage cubby holes. Then again we have a matching sized pantry too........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have A Workshop On Your Boat?-murmel-workshop.jpg  

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-08-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I have one, and it's 9ft x 4 1/2ft with 20 storage cubby holes. Then again we have a matching sized pantry too........i2f
Leave it to a catamaran sailor to try and tweak some envy out of monohullers...
Old 09-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I have seen small shops that were designed in to fairly large boats, but suspect most would have to commandeer some other quarters, most likely sleeping quarters. I would caution one not to make any permanent modifications, or risk creating a functionally obsolete problem, if you can't easily return it to original. When most look to buy your model boat that typically sleeps four and yours sleeps only two, they may not appreciate the workshop as you do. Your selling price probably declines, simply due to fewer interested buyers. YMMV

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-08-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Leave it to a catamaran sailor to try and tweak some envy out of monohullers...
sometimes we pound like hell going to weather in snot. We make up for it with things like shops, etc. etc. Everything is a compromise. Just to rub it in when I can. Here's the pantry too......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have A Workshop On Your Boat?-murmel-stbd-hull-forward.jpg   Do You Have A Workshop On Your Boat?-murmel-stbd-hull-passageway-aft.jpg  

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!