Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Mold

For the first time in three years living aboard we are battling mold on the teak. It's been a rainy month here on the Chesapeake, which is probably the largest contributing factor, but am curious to see what everyone's experience is and the best way to control it.

I also wonder if, now that we've started getting most of our produce from the farmer's market, there are natural molds, yeasts, etc. on the produce and that's why it's becoming an issue. We regularly Murphy's Oil then lemon oil the teak, so I don't think my filthy lifestyle is at issue.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2011
SeŮor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
For the first time in three years living aboard we are battling mold on the teak. It's been a rainy month here on the Chesapeake, which is probably the largest contributing factor, but am curious to see what everyone's experience is and the best way to control it.

I also wonder if, now that we've started getting most of our produce from the farmer's market, there are natural molds, yeasts, etc. on the produce and that's why it's becoming an issue. We regularly Murphy's Oil then lemon oil the teak, so I don't think my filthy lifestyle is at issue.

Cheers
Ryan,

Since you talk about using Oil Soap and lemon oil, I'm assuming you're talking about mold inside the cabin.

I think you are largely correct that the record setting rainfalls in MD this year are making the situation challenging. My guess is that the increased humity has got more spores in the air than normal, and like most you've probably kept your ports and hatches closed which has cut down on the amount of air flowing through the cabin. It is possible that your produce has been the vector for some of those spores, but they are likely not the sole cause.

Increasing the ventilation will help, but until the air dries out it's still going to be less than optimal.

As far as chemical prevention, I think the lemon oil's a good option. We've also used tea tree oil (which my wife thinks is better, but I can't tell any difference.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
If you are plugged into shore power, I would suggest a small household dehumidifier.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Water Consistency
Sodium Tallate Cleaning Agent
Cymbopogon nardus (citronella) oil Pleasant Scent
Lauramidopropylamine oxide Cleaning Agent
Tetrasodium EDTA Maintains product stability

I'd bet the cleaning agents (aka "soap") in Murphy's count as a yummy buffet to some molds. Mold grows where it is damp, warm, and there's any excuse for food. Maybe this has been a hot & humid enough summer so that with just a little "food", the problem just bloomed for you. A good scrubbing (to remove the mold & food) and then just oils, no soap, should help. Harsh oils, maybe citrus and tea tree, not olive oil, since any food-type oils are mold food too. Maybe add some salt into the mix as well?
Old 09-27-2011
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Ryan,

Since you talk about using Oil Soap and lemon oil, I'm assuming you're talking about mold inside the cabin.
Yep, inside the cabin. The cheap lemon oil is about all I can find around here, though I prefer Amazon's.

And if it would cool off a bit, I'd fire up the Espar and dispel the miasma.
Old 09-27-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
i use vinegar on interior and sea water on exterior ....teak gets sea water and oil. mold dies with vinegar and doesnt come back readily unless your area is enclosed with humidity.
on the exterior i use my seawater with a green 3m pad to remove all the dirt then oil or teak will turn balck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 09-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We've started using a new product called Kanberra gel this year. It is reportedly made from tea tree oil. We haven't had a serious mold problem, but have found this product to notably reduce boat odors. It claims to kill not just mask. It is pricey, but the refills are much more cost effective.

You place it out like an air freshener and it claims to vaporize and access places you can't reach. Ironically, I've found it to be more effective with less ventilation.

Kanberra Gel - Nature's Activated Protection

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-27-2011

zboss is on a distinguished road
In the beer brewing community we use oxiclean and trisodium phosphate mixed together in equal parts. It doesn't qualify as a sanitary cleaner but it does kill and clean just about everything, including mold. It's safe to use on stainless steel (kegs). Also, it's really cheap. It does remove grease, so you should probably follow it up with an oil.

It will not provide residual protection though.

Use about 3 tables spoons of each per 5 gallons.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 09-27-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Like you, we've got a bumper crop of mold this year! And, like Zee, we use white vinegar. We then spray the surfaces with Amazon's from MDR (the green stuff, sorry, I don't have the bandwidth to give you a link right now) and leave a light film. I think the best solution, though, would be to go south ...

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 09-27-2011
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
south is good--i found, however, some black mold in my slider on companionway--is still teak and leaky--oh welll.........just another new hatch cover to make........

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward