Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011

cookie7777 is on a distinguished road
Which Yacht and Why

Hi all,

I am at base camp on this one, my personal story of how I arrived here is fairly straight forward.

I have lived in S.E. Asia for over 15 yrs now mainly based in Singapore. I have been a avid windsurfer since childhood, recently I've got into Kiteboarding which is all good. Having just got married and a new baby born I am looking for a way to stay out on the water with my family.... So the natural progression into sailing.

I have no experience and I'm about to start sailing lessons. I am looking for a yacht which needs a little freshening up, I am a carpenter and have a small amount of boat building experience, I could undertake a lot of the work myself or if not at least project manage it.

Now the impossible... I am looking for a yacht which is a little run down, I would like to get her up to fully restored condition and at least break even, I'm not going into this as a business venture and I am not expecting to make any money, but at the same time I don't really want to loose any/much, I'm thinking if I put some time and money into a yacht bringing her up to restored condition and my pay back will be to get some free sailing out of her. Please tell me if I'm being hideously deluded and naive.

I have a budget of about $75,000 of which I have worked out that I should only spend about $50,000 on the yacht and save $25,000 for refit, does this sound about right?

I will be looking to mainly cruise around the South China Sea, maybe a trip down to Australia in the future, but that is way off, to start with I intend to spend long weekends aboard.

If anyone has been where I am now, or can recommend a yacht which would fit my budget and expectations I would like to know.

I really am at first base, any comments thoughts or even abuse would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance,

Ian

ps. I have been viewing a Beneteau Oceanis 350, the reasoning behind this was the 3 cabin layout, I understand Beneteau to be a reputable and reliable builder, but I read read a couple of reports that this boat is slow and poor in big winds, are these things that a novice needs to be concerned with?

Last edited by cookie7777; 09-27-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie7777 View Post
Hi all,

Please tell me if I'm being hideously deluded and naive.
You are being hideously deluded and naive.

Just like the rest of us

I bought my slightly run down boat for $15K. After about $40K in a new engine, sails, rigging, electronics, misc. fittings and ground tackle, interior joinery and exterior refinishing, ( I did almost all the work myself so very little labor $ included) the market value of my boat is...

...$15K (Using it to live aboard and cruise for the past 22 years: Priceless)

I have known people who manage to make a few bucks buying (Or acquiring for free) run down, neglected boats and refurbishing them to just seaworthy condition for resale. Most boat owners, however, will tell you that any project will cost triple what you plan to spend and nothing you add to an already seaworthy boat will increase resale value enough to generate a profit.

I have a well known bias for small boats and an aversion to giving advice so I won't recommend any particular boat. Do your own homework and you may come to the same conclusions I have.

If I were starting over, I would spend a lot of time hanging around boatyards and harbors networking, eyeballing and learning to tell the difference between structural and purely cosmetic deterioration. With a $75K budget, I would look for a stout, older (1975 or earlier), fiberglass boat that could be had for $25K or less. I would look for it to have good ground tackle, winches and a good inventory of sails; Expensive stuff if you have to buy it new. OTOH, basic electronics, VHF, depth sounder and GPS are relatively cheap.

Sailboats with bad engines are common and cheap. Learn to deal with the internal combustion Rumble Monster yourself and save a bundle.

Rigging, for some reason, flusters most boat owners. Educate yourself (Read Brion Toss). Rigging is simple: Measure, mark, cut and fasten. I would replace standing and running rigging on almost any used sailboat and this can be VERY expensive unless you DIY.

I know this sounds like advice, but really, it is just my opinion and I am certain there are others who will disagree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 09-28-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2011

luck66 is on a distinguished road
Two responses: I purchased my first boat for about$11000 and put about 8000 into it noe it has a value of 10000. Second: ask any boat owner " What is the best boat?" They will tell you that their boat is the best.
Old 10-02-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
I think the main thing you need to consider is what your wife would be happy with. Otherwise you will find yourself sailing alone and / or with your mates. I would look at doing a few charters with the wife to figure out what is important and not important (like hot water, room for toys, decent galley, etc).

Have fun, Ilenart
Old 10-02-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you would be a goood candidate for building your own Wharram catamaran.

James Wharram Designs -Home of the self-build Catamaran.

Even with your budget you could have one built in the Philippines by Pinoy Boat Yard. BEST WISHES in succeeding what you seek. It's not all doom, and gloom financially owning a good vessel.

I paid $17,000 for my first boat. Over several years I probably put in another $10,000. With heavy usage, and 4 miles of seperate cruising over 15 years. I got back $10,000. It kept me out of the bar, intoo a healthy lifestyle, gave me so many rewards, and fun I could never have paid for.

When & if this boat goes for sale. I will make money even after sailing her 15,000 miles, and spending money on her over nearly 9 years. You've made a good choice too give priority to keeping the family together. BEST WISHES on finding a good vessel to serve you well......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 10-08-2011

cookie7777 is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. It's nice to know I'm not the only dreamer out there.

I am now looking at a Beneteau Oceanis 320 (1993), the local broker is vouching for the boat and sails it often himself, he will teach me to sail in her for free. She comes with nearly new sails and has just been anti fouled. Its not quite the project I was after but I think its the better option (considering my experience) to get me out on the water straight away, she does need a little tidying up and I think just keeping her tip top will be a good exercise.

Here we go again both feet forward, my mum would go mad...

@vega-thank you and don't worry I didn't take it as advice, but at the same time very much appreciated.

@Ilenart-with a 6 week old daughter to contend with at home, the prospect of spending time alone/with my mates at sea is one which is becoming more and more appealing...

@I2F-I had never considered the self build option and on the surface it's has a lot of weight, but I think for where I am now this will have to be for the future, but a great call all the same.

Last edited by cookie7777; 10-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.