Looking for a Buddy boat: Block Island to Norfolk or Atlantic City - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011

ksetchfield is on a distinguished road
Looking for a Buddy boat: Block Island to Norfolk or Atlantic City

Hey everyone!

My wife and I are on a 37 foot sloop currently moored just west of Cape Cod in Marion MA. We are expecting to launch for our trip south to Florida sometime in the next week or two. Our ideal first leg is to travel from here (or Block Island area) to either Atlantic City or Norfolk directly. The alternative is to eek our way through Long Island sound, through Hells gate, and the south along the Jersey coast. We'd rather just go straight from here to Norfolk or Atlantic City on the outside.

Now all that said, it would be nice to have a buddy boat of similar size/speed to cruise with for the trip. As is often the way things happen, boats wait in harbors for a weather window and then launch together, so...

That gets me thinking. We should be able to launch after this coming Tuesday or Wednesday. So the first available window then would be our time to jump out.

Anyone else here on a similar time frame and interested in heading outside to Atlantic City or Norfolk? It should be a 48 hour jump to Atlantic city or a 72 hour jump to Norfolk. Much better than staying inside the sound and then running the Jersey coast. Just praying for some nice northwest or northeast days!!!

Kristopher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011

Okay, it is currently looking like we will be able to take off tomorrow. By this I mean that I am selling my car tonight, and that is the last thing holding us to land.

First glance at the weather indicates that we may be in a nice window for the trip right now. I think we are going to change the itinerary to allow us to check out Cutteyhunk or Marthas Vinevard and then Block Island or Montauk. Then we will probably jump to Atlantic City or Cape May and anchor for a night and then jump to Norfolk from there. That puts us into Norfolk on Sunday sometime. Excellent.

Still hoping to find a buddy boat for any part of the trip.

Kristopher
Old 10-03-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Kris
I don't know if it would be of any help to you, but I'm taking a 36 Pearson out of Westbrook Ct on the 15th for the first leg going south to Coinjock Nc were the owner will then continue down to the keys. I will be leaving around 0100 on the Oct 15th going down thru the city and straight thru to Cape May, NJ Sunday night stop - Monday head out to Norfolk and then to coinjock on Wednesday. You can email me at pcarey(zerotwo) at gmail.com

Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know someone else is running a similar schedule and course. If we are still around when that dates comes up, I will give you a shout to follow up about this possibility. Our current plan is to head out tomorrow, but wouldn't you know it we might be delayed by an unforseen (and good) circumstance. Funny how we really tried not to plan until the last minute when we'd be *sure* that our plan would be worth the time investment in making it, and then something comes up that might derail the plans anyway!

So thanks for the reply. If I don't connect up with you, then I hope you have a good safe quick sail.

Anyone else heading south from NE soon?

Kristopher
Old 10-05-2011

Got delayed yesterday, but it looks like we are taking off today. We are going to head out into Buzzards Bay and see how it is and then probably go to either Cutteyhunk Island or maybe to Newport RI if the winds are uncomfortably strong for us and we want to stay near to the north shore.

We've renamed our just purchased new (to us) boat last night, and we'll be putting up a new blog with the new name soon. It's a play on our last boat's name. She's now "Way Happy"

Kristopher
Old 10-09-2011

Sitting in the old harbor at Block Island getting ready to launch for Atlantic City or Cape May. Wish we had a buddy boat! We'll sit on 16 in case anyone wants to hail us.
Kristopher
s/v Way Happy.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.