Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011

golfpcb is on a distinguished road
Dockside water

When you are cruising and in a marina with access to dockside water do you usually or always hook up? With dockside water your onboard pumps don't operate and make a lot of noise -mine do make lots of noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2011

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road
Many marinas dont allow you to hook up pressure water to the boat because of the risk of you sinking it if anything starts leaking. My opinion is, Its a bad idea.

Mitch
chef2sail likes this.
Old 10-02-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
many marinas dont allow you to hook up pressure water to the boat because of the risk of you sinking it if anything starts leaking. My opinion is, its a bad idea.

Mitch
+1
Old 10-02-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
If your water pump is very noisy check and make sure it's mounted on a vibration dampener of some kind. Also you can cover it with sound proofing material.
Old 10-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
"Plugging into" pressure water from shore (like an RV) is a very scary thought. I think in 30 years of boating around here I've only seen one boat so equipped.

Don't do it... fill your tank as needed, plug in electrically to charge batteries if necessary.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-03-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
"Plugging into" pressure water from shore (like an RV) is a very scary thought. I think in 30 years of boating around here I've only seen one boat so equipped.

Don't do it... fill your tank as needed, plug in electrically to charge batteries if necessary.
Agreed. One of the things to keep in mind is that your plumbing can handle the pressure from your water pump, but that is likely pretty low. What is the pressure from the dockside system?

Around here Marinas are often much lower than the surrounding area, a combination of steep shorelines and large tidal swings. Does the Marina have a pressure regulator? If so, what is the pressure at your slips hose bib? Let's say you are connected to shore power in a Marina surrounded by hills at low tide. You are running your sink water full open for some reason and then suddenly shut the water off. Imagine the hydraulic hammer force that is being applied to all of your boats plumbing as that moving water column suddenly comes to a stop (water doesn't compress well). You could easily blow a hose anywhere in your pluming system, something that would make your day far more exciting that you might wish.

Many folks around here have small pressure regulators they put on their slips hose bibs just to keep their dock hoses from failing or they use expensive hoses designed for high pressure (or just buy cheap hoses and replace them every couple years).
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Most boat connectors that enable direct hook-up to dock hose bibs are pressure regulated to preclude the damage dhays rightfully warns against.

That said, I would hate to bet my boat on that connector being foolproof. Let's face it -- if one on an R/V fails, you've got some wet carpet; if the one on your boat fails, you're now a submarine owner.

Is it a convenience? Maybe so. Just be very prudent as to how you use this convenience. I'd recomend against it, but if you do decide to go that route, consider using it like you do with propane -- only pressurize the system when you actually use it.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-03-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Most boat connectors that enable direct hook-up to dock hose bibs are pressure regulated to preclude the damage dhays rightfully warns against.
I wasn't aware that the boat connectors had built in pressure regulators. Sure makes sense.

I think I would want to provide a bit of insurance by using a regulator on the dockside hose bib as well. With double protection like that, I could see using it when you are on the boat. Anytime leaving the boat I would turn the water off at the dock. Many pressure regulators attached to hose bibs will release water to get rid of the pressure in the hose when the water is shut off. This would leave the boats system depressurized until returning to the boat and turning on the water at the dock again.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-03-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Could you purchase a pressure regulator after market, like I used to do on my travel trailer?

Old 10-03-2011

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road
When I live aboard my previous boat for 6 years I used a Water pressure regulator like this one -

JABSCO FLUSH MOUNT CHROME WATER PRESSURE REGULATOR 45PSI - 44411-2045

with an off value right on the dockside water faucet. NEVER had a problem. When I would go to work in the morning just turn the value off. If I went out of town turned the dockside water off.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.