Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I'm a player too although I'm not a liveaboard. Having said that, the only guitars I would consider bringing on board would be the bolt in necks. Keeping my Les Paul's on the boat is not even a consideration due to the concern over neck movemt. As it is, living in the hard, I'm doing setups every 6 months. I'd hate to see what would happen in a uncontrolled environment. If I were u I'd start by experimenting with my least favorite and go from there.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Is there any climate controlled storage nearby? If you're living aboard, you may find other uses for it as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-04-2011

cranki is on a distinguished road
I'd rather not have to pay for storage and the thing is I often am coming home very late from gigs so to make and extra stop at 2:30AM when all I want to do is climb into bed is not going to happen. I' so lazy that I often leave my gear in my car overnight and deal with it the next morning. That will not be an option at the marina where I will be parking though.

My main guitar is a Strat, thus bolt on neck but the others are not. I will look into the issues regarding the neck joint. Set ups every 6months? You must haul your guitars around even more than I do. I take mine in about once a year.
Old 10-08-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
I have an ovation celebrity that stays with me (the reason i went that route is the plastic body). In any case, even in a freshwater environment it is a wee bit hard on the strings but that has been the only issue, but these do a great job:
Amazon.com: Ernie Ball Wonder Wipe String Cleaner 6-pack: Musical Instruments

as an aside presonus makes a pretty cool audio box that provides xlr and 1/4 ins then converts them to usb/lots of products bundled with their 'studio one' recording suite. its not logic or protools, but for laptop recording on the boat using stereo as monitor system its effective enough for my floating studio. no affiliations....
PreSonus

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-08-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLING, Syilica Gell in the gutair case and place in one of those big vacume bags for bedding if thats not big enoughf use two and some double-sided sticky tape to form a water tight seam Keep the music Live Go Safe
Old 10-08-2011

jerryRiggin is on a distinguished road
Before reading all these posts I would have said to never attempt to keep guitars that are not beaters on a boat. Been living on the water my whole life and I've lost a few guitars to the salt and water (though I've always kept the Gibson and Martin away from the water) . But considering the suggestions of dessicant, tape etc and the convenience factor of not having to keep an extra storage unit I'd say to go for it if this is your long term situation. However if you're only planning on living aboard for a short time I wouldn't do it. Put up with the inconvenience if its only temporary.
Old 10-08-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I would say that at the very least you need a humidity guage that lives in the case with the guitar and NEVER let the guitars sit around out of the case. It's not the conditions that affect the wood as much as the rapid change in conditions and that is what a good case does, it lessens the rapidity of the change in conditions. A guage will tell you whether you need a dessicant or a humidifier and the you can go from there. FWIW, when I lived aboard, my 1968 Gibson Southern Jumbo lived at my Dad's house, just not worth the risk. My Martins don't even know I own a boat. YMMV

Mike
Old 10-09-2011

Buddycleatus is on a distinguished road
Funny, because I was just going to ask this question. I will most likely just find a cheap pawnshop guitar to take with me
Old 10-09-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Well, you need your stuff, its obviously 'you'. As everyone said - I guess you have to monitor it.

I have a parkwood by cort and if you use it, the strings dont rust too quickly. You said you change them anyway.

I of course need to anchor miles away from anyone as the noise that I attempt to produce would induce fruit to fly !

So my 2c - go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.