Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011

jaminotte is on a distinguished road
Ericson 29 Caribbean Cruise

I may be delving into a matter quite often discussed, but like many around here I'm flipping the calendar pages, pen in hand, trying to decide where to mark "depart." We want to primarily cruise the caribbean. We will be departing from Tampa Bay and will have a decent amount of time allowing for weather windows, etc. There will two of us for the duration, with visitors for short periods of time.

I've dumping as much as possible in my savings, working my ass off, and reading everything everything I can. (when I'm not sailing)

As I'm working on my boat, though, I'm wondering how much I should really be investing. I currently own an Ericson 29.

During my dreaming, I always pictured us in something more along the lines of a:
Baba 30, PS Mariah 31, Island Packet 29 or 31, Westsail 32, Tashiba 31, PS Orion 27 mk2, Allied seawind II cutter, or weatherly 32.

The Ericson is none of these. It would need a reasonably significant investment to fully equip it for cruising. It is, however, in good shape. It has a low hour universal diesel and newish sails. Most of all I already own it...outright.

By taking the Ericson, I could effectively move my departure date up substantially. Can she take it? Go small and go now?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
The boat can! Ask around at ericsonyachts.org ....it seems it may be you who may want a different size or ambiance "around you"
sawingknots likes this.
Old 12-09-2011

sproption is on a distinguished road
Prepping an Ericson 29

I too am prepping my E-29 for a cruise that may include most or all of the loop, including the Bahamas.

I have made "upgrades" over the three years and cruised L. Michigan several times, on 10-14 day trips.

I have been caught in some bad storms, settled at anchor for 5-6 days at a time and found myself feeling both safe, secure and comfortable.

I have a lot of faith in my boat. She needs a lot more work, upgrades and improvements, but I love her.

I would love to discuss what you are doing to improve your boat. I am in great need of ideas. Let me know if you are willing.

The pictures you posted look good!
Old 12-09-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We had an E-27 for several years, and loved it. Agree that the boat can handle conditions re weather if you have enough time to wait for good crossing windows; what about tankage? (Water & fuel). When you load it up with dinghy & all the cruising gear, will performance become awful? (a danger with smaller boats) BTW, how are you cooking - no stove in your layout pix? Many things that you can overlook when you're weekending or vacationing on a boat, suddenly start to feel like you're camping out when you're living aboard for an extended period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-09-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Had friends who took an Ercison (2 adults 2 children) from Canada to UK, through the French canals to the Med, back across the pond and through to Panama. Finished up on Vancouver Island. It can be done.
Old 12-09-2011

sproption is on a distinguished road
One more thing...

The other posts reminded me of a few things.

The E-29 is definitely a coastal cruiser/island hopper. I would not consider such a boat for crossing oceans without some very significant, time consuming and potentially expensive alterations.

The most obvious for me is the cockpit. Too big. The hatchboards are also tapered, not straight and nearly to the sole of the cockpit. I addressed some of these issues before I crossed L. Michigan.

That said, I know of one E-29 that made it across the Pacific. His website is down. He sailed aboard s/v Spetakkle...an E-29 that crossed to some central Pacific island group from Panama.
Old 12-09-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Post up your cruising questions over at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!. Lots of owners (and cruisers) checking in.
Here a related ocean-crossing thread, with some internal links for the E-27.
E28 offshore sailing - Capsize Risk Factor

The E-29 is a great boat, and, with more LW than the more-of-them-produced E-27, has more intrinsic speed.

As for concerns about tankage, note that any boat you buy over thirty years old probably needs new systems... so just install enough capacity for your needs.
Heck, we upgraded the two-tank water system in our '88 from 46 gallons total to 61 gallons with some custom tank design, and did not lose any useful storage.

Cheers,
LB
Faster likes this.
Old 12-09-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
If your looking larger why stop at your list Go 40ft-Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 12-16-2011

misfits is on a distinguished road
Jaminotte,

You hit the number 1 issue square on the head "you own it outright"
Don't fall into that dreaded disease of boatitis. It's very contagious & will keep you on tread mill paying for that bigger, better, able to leap small oceans in a single bound boat.

Don't listen to the nay sayers, the E-29 is a very good boat, people have sailed across oceans in smaller vessels....
Toss somemore tankage on that girl & if you're able to do it, go.

Bob
Old 12-16-2011

Brillig is on a distinguished road
Go small and go now. You may not get another chance