Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Health / Medical Insurance in USA

We have been reading for what seems like days and can't find any post that address this issue. We are a few years away from a early retirement. We are from Indiana and can't wait to get out of here...lol

Our plans include spending the first few yrs cruising the US east coast, Florida and the gulf. Maybe cross to the Islands a few times. Once we have some exp. we'll take off through the Caribbean.

Our questions is what are most cruisers doing for health insurance coverage both while in the US and once they depart. We are in our late 40's so it will be awhile before we get medicare/medicaid or what ever will be there in 20 yrs.

Are most going without coverage? We can go with a high deductible $20K or more but would like to have something to protect our life's savings.

If you have insurance can you please tell us who you have the general rates you pay?

We have Anthem now and pay $383/mo for a family of 3. Our son will not be on our insurance when we retire.

Please let's not get started bitching about politics or anything like that.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2011

apogee1mars is on a distinguished road
Many pensiandos utilize airfare and Hospitals of foreign lands depending on the malady. There is great healthcare by US trained surgeons in many places for a fraction of the cost in the USA. Most even accept a standard heathplan insurance. I like the line in the movie "Bucket List" where Jack Nicholsen says; Out there is some lucky SOB having a heart attack right now. Not far from the truth now days.

Last edited by apogee1mars; 10-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Since I retired (rather than quit), I was able to continue the insurance coverage I had (even though I've only used it 6 times in 29 years) for much less than if I had to buy it new. It's more than sufficient for my cruising plans.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
we have a US carrier at about $400/month with a high deductable. We pay cash for general thing in the islands.

We also have repatriation insurance through DAN that costs $130/yr

DAN Insurance : Dive Accident, Trip, Dive Equipment, Camera, Group Term Life

While the DAN Premium is primarily scuba dive insurance it also provides repatriation for any medical cause and you do not have to be a diver.

Last year a friend developed cardiac problems while in Bonaire. As the only MD in the mooring field I arranged, at midnight, his evacuation to the US. DAN sent a Lear jet and within less than 20 hr of the problem developing he was in a cardiac unit in Miami. Had it been necessary they would have sent a doctor on the jet but as he was stable they just flew an EMT.

The entire cost of evacuation of over $25,000 was paid for by the insurance and in Miami his US insurance paid. His wife was flown back with him for free.

Medical care in the Caribbean is generally good with US and UK trained doctors but for major thing you need to be back in the US, except that Columbia and Mexico have some good hospitals. The good care is only in the private hospitals, in Trinidad the State hospitals are dreadful and most of the islands are too small to have good care for major problems.

BUPA a British insurance company has good world wide coverage as long as you are not in the USA.

International Individual Health Insurance Quotes

Our boat insurer, IMIS, can also get you health insurance and they are very professional and you can always get them on the phone.

http://www.imis.pro/OnlineServices.htm

Phil MD

Last edited by Yorksailor; 10-04-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
WOW I never thought DR Phil would reply....lol

Thanks for the great info. and links to companies. We'll be contacting them shortly.
Old 10-04-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
He's a psychologist...I am a real Dr.

Glad to help...enjoy your cruising.

Phil
Old 10-05-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverknow View Post
Please let's not get started bitching about politics or anything like that.

Thanks
Geez! Take all the fun out of it why don't ya.

We don't have insurance. We have savings for emergencies, we take care of our health and fitness and we are VERY careful.

We have had some medical costs since we set off cruising. I had to have a melanoma removed, my wife had a severe asthma attack that required clinical treatment, we both have needed new eyeglasses.

We wrote the checks.

As always, it's just my opinion:

The insurance business thrives because it bets that you will pay more in premiums than they have to pay out in claims. When you buy an insurance policy you are betting the opposite. Guess who usually wins. We never bet against ourselves. Besides, cruising is about independence and self reliance. You can be neither if you have to make a monthly payment to someone.

But that is just us. We have more confidence in our ability to stay healthy than in any doctor's ability to cure us. And four hundred bucks a month will build a nice emergency fund over time. Not something you want to wait until you are sixty to start on, but better late than never.

Old 10-05-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
The insurance business thrives because it bets that you will pay more in premiums than they have to pay out in claims.
A minor quibble... What the insurance company is actually betting is that ON AVERAGE, among all of the people they insure, the group will pay more in premiums than they have to pay out in claims. Some people pay in lots and collect very little, while others pay in very little and collect--quite literally--millions in benefits.

And, as an insurance buyer, I'm not really making a bet at all. I know the likelihood that I will get back everything I've paid over my lifetime is very small. Rather I am choosing to pay a modest amount that I can afford, in order to be absolutely certain that a catastrophic medical condition will not bankrupt me.
Old 10-05-2011

zboss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Rather I am choosing to pay a modest amount that I can afford, in order to be absolutely certain that a catastrophic medical condition will not bankrupt me.
These days - with all of the 'not covered' claims being returned - you can't even make a bet on that!
Old 10-05-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
These days - with all of the 'not covered' claims being returned - you can't even make a bet on that!
Of course you can. If you read and understand the policy that you are buying, then you will never have a problem with claims that are not covered.

The problem, of course, is that all too many people sign on the dotted line without bothering to read what it is that they are signing.