SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A Few more questions..

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Silvio 
#1 ·
Hi again,
I have lots of questions. One of which is about clothing storage.What does everyone use to store their clothes in? Has anyone tried those Space bags, if so how do they work? Also food storage . How does everyone store dry food? I was thinking glass mason jars but probably not too safe when heeling over.One more question, what does everyone use for internet/ wireless coverage?My husband will be working on the boat and and will need to video conference with clients and have very reliable service.Thank you for all your help with these questions.

#2 ·
Hi again,
I have lots of questions. One of which is about clothing storage.What does everyone use to store their clothes in? Has anyone tried those Space bags, if so how do they work?
I want air to be able to circulate around my clothes so I store them in mesh bags.

Also food storage . How does everyone store dry food? I was thinking glass mason jars but probably not too safe when heeling over.
There are several types of sealing plastic containers, from frezzer bags to more solid containers.

One more question, what does everyone use for internet/ wireless coverage?My husband will be working on the boat and and will need to video conference with clients and have very reliable service.Thank you for all your help with these questions.
Internet coverage of that bandwidth is only available in coastal waters. I am not sure of your location; those in the vicinity will be more helpful.

#3 ·
Hi again,
I have lots of questions. One of which is about clothing storage.What does everyone use to store their clothes in? Has anyone tried those Space bags, if so how do they work? .
Space bags work but dont stay shrunk for long. Ordinary Zip locks work as well if you can find the bid ones. Roll out the air, then zip.

Hi again,
Also food storage . How does everyone store dry food? I was thinking glass mason jars but probably not too safe when heeling over..
Plastic 'tupperware' with good lids are best. Stops the bugs from spreading!

Hi again,
.One more question, what does everyone use for internet/ wireless coverage?My husband will be working on the boat and and will need to video conference with clients and have very reliable service.Thank you for all your help with these questions.
Depends where you are, I spend my time in the Windies and can count on the fingers of one hand the times my wifi connection has been fast enough to support video. I am glad when I get a connection running at more than 1 meg.

#4 ·
I use the big ziplocks for clothes I don't wear frequently. Then in a large plastic container (I use my vee berth as a storage area). Same with dry food I don't use frequently. Others I put in ziplocks or sealing containers and then the cupboard. I also buy boxes of sugar cubes for my tea, and put them in a ziplock (since one cube is just right, I don't have to worry about spillage, particularly in rough weather).

Except for a couple of remote areas, I've always been able to connect through Verizon, from Annapolis to Houston.

#5 ·
in lieu of buying 'spacebags' ive found garbage bags with a vacuum hose stuck into the open end sucks the air out the same way...

i like the vacuum sealers (think seal-a-meal), but tend not to buy in bulk, just buy items in a size that i will use all of before they go bad.

internet.... well i guess it depends on what you want to spend. if his clients are big accounts, you can spend as much as you want.

do a google search for 'sailnet and broadband' or 'sailnet and internet' and you will get plenty of info

good luck

#6 ·
Oooh - watch out for using garbage bags for anything other than garbage. I once lost an entire wardrobe of summer clothes because somebody got helpful and put it out with the trash.

in lieu of buying 'spacebags' ive found garbage bags with a vacuum hose stuck into the open end sucks the air out the same way...

i like the vacuum sealers (think seal-a-meal), but tend not to buy in bulk, just buy items in a size that i will use all of before they go bad.

internet.... well i guess it depends on what you want to spend. if his clients are big accounts, you can spend as much as you want.

do a google search for 'sailnet and broadband' or 'sailnet and internet' and you will get plenty of info

good luck

#8 ·
I keep the clothes I am going to use frequently hanging in locker and in drawers. I also have kayak dry bags in which to keep things like sheets/blankets/nice clothes that I want to keep really dry. One of these is also in my ditch bag with stuff I want to keep dry even if immersed.

#9 ·
I will add that the one use I have found for the space bags is storing extra bed linens. I put a set of sheets, pillow cases, a pillow, and comforter in a space bag and toss in a dryer sheet before vacuuming and sealing. It is a good way to store an extra bedding set and have it ready when guests arrive. Every day clothes go in drawers and hanging lockers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.