Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011

inheryouth is on a distinguished road
Question Liveaboards/Marinas in Comox B.C...

So my boyfriend and I are trying to find a place to moore for the winter in Comox, B.C while he goes to school in January. There are 3 marinas in Comox and they are all 'non liveaboard' types, does anyone have any experience with these marinas and know just how strict they are with liveaboard rules? Seems to me there are many marinas that don't allow liveaboards but really don't mind 'sneakaboards' if they are discreet and respectful. I'm hoping maybe some of these marinas in Comox wouldn't mind especially seeing as how it will be winter. Does anyone have any idea? Keep in mind we've got one dog too...

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Have you contacted the Comox Harbour Authority and explained your situation? In winter I'd expect the eastern transient dock to be lightly used and they may be willing to accommodate you on a temporary basis.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-20-2011

No I haven't actually explained the situation to them, I only asked if they accomodated liveaboards and they said no, no marinas in Comox do... But I can give it a try, do you think I've got a good chance?
Old 10-20-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by inheryouth View Post
No I haven't actually explained the situation to them, I only asked if they accomodated liveaboards and they said no, no marinas in Comox do... But I can give it a try, do you think I've got a good chance?
I suppose it will depend on just how 'temporary' the situation would be. After all, all summer long there are boats 'living there' using the facilities, though most not more than a weekend at a time.

Is this going to be a few months or a few years? You could try to 'sneakaboard' but if you get nailed then what? If the boat is adequately equipped maybe you could anchor off and go to the dock on weekends or periodically to charge batteries and refill water etc?

I do think a personal approach to the manager (she's a good person) and a good presentation may get surprising results... certainly more than a simple phone call.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-22-2011

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
It' funny that you mention "sneakaboards".
This summer we were looking for permanent moorage as the slip we have now will be gone come April 1.
Although we only require simple moorage many of the marinas around the south end of the Island do not accommodate liveaboards, yet there is obviously people living aboard the boats.
When we would inquire about this situation we found that the marina had no choice in the matter as most of these people had been grandfathered into their current situations, and being liveaboads they fall under the BC Residential Tenancy Act and have just as many rights as a person who rents a house.
I tend to like having a few liveaboards near my moorage as they tend to act as security for the unattended boats that are moored near by.
Maybe this could be a good selling feature for your situation you require, if you find someone who accommodates livaboards.
I can't imagine that Comox doesn't have somebody offering livaboard moorage but I can tell you that unless the moorage contract clearly states that there are "no livaboards allowed" once your in, your in, for at least 3 months based on the BC Residential Tenancy Act.
So, good luck.
Old 10-22-2011

Yes its true, at the marina my boat is currently moored at there are 'no liveaboards' allowed, however there are people who have been living there for 30 years and admitted it to me! They aren't very sneaky all the time either, they are just nice people who I think the marina doesn't mind having around because they've been there forever and really care about the well being of the marina and the sailing community. I might have to stay there for two months before I find a place in Comox, if I do. I emailed the harbour authority in Comox explaining my situation and they said they can't make any exceptions.

The duration of time we need to be in Comox is for six months for my boyfriend to finish school. I do like what you've mentioned about the BC Residential Tenancy act though Dog Ship, do you know where I can find more information about this? I've also been looking for information reguarding the 'No Liveabord' By law, does anyone know where the information is available?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.