Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Any cruisers/armchair pirates been to Port Royal?

So I have been reading Empire of Blue Water by Stephen Tally, and Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly. Haha my winter reading list will probably have a few more pirate books, and if anyone has good ones to recommend please do. I certainly recommend both of these books.

Port Royal Jamaica was the original Pirate Haven, where Captain Morgan himself sailed out of. Later, Nassau became almost a pirate republic. And don't forget the old pirate standby of Tortuga, west coast of Haiti. I would love to see these places personally, but there is surprisingly little info out there on the web as far as visiting them today. (OK well Nassau is obviously not obscure anymore, but still...)

Port Royal is now mostly under water, with a population of about 2,000 I understand. But supposedly you can dive or snorkel over the old part of the City, which sunk intro the sea during a 17th century earthquake. Has anyone been there, and done that? Any comments?

How about Tortuga, is there anything to even see there today? Is it too dangerous, being Haiti and all?

Nassau, been paved over or are there still some in tact colonial forts etc off the beaten track that are worth checking out?

I can probably consult some travel guides if I have to, but first hand knowledge is gold. Even if it is from anonymous forumites
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
176 views, and nobody even reads books about pirates? I am beginning to feel like a nerd lol
Old 10-30-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm not a real pirate, but I've seen some on tv!