SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Virgin Islands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/80191-virgin-islands.html)

captcore 10-27-2011 07:19 PM

Virgin Islands

Hello

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I'll start here. I am sailing down to the Caribbean in a few weeks, headed for St Thomas, but I'm sailing on someone else's boat.

I am a licensed captain, and I have been investigating and conversing with several companies down in St Thomas and St John who are hiring captains and for whom I may be a good match for the tourist season.

My question is this: An apartment seems rather expensive there. Is there opportunity to rent bunk space on board a boat? Is it cheaper than living in an apartment? How do I go about finding these boats?

Anybody have any other suggestions where to look?

Thanks

Corey

FarCry 10-31-2011 01:00 PM

Yes apartments are expensive. Renting a bunk on a boat is not common. If it were available I would assume it would be cheaper than an apartment. The best way to find a boat to sleep on would be to hit the bars near where boaters hang out.

Without knowing where you may get employed, it's very hard to suggest where you should look for housing before arrival. Your best bet would probably meeting someone to share an apartment with. That seems to be a fairly common practice.

BluemanSailor 10-31-2011 02:16 PM

Not only are apartments very expensive but also very hard to find! Have a friend who's been living in the VI for the past 12 years and when a new block of apartments is being built ( which is not very often) they have a tremendous waiting list and it's usually who you know that gets an apartment

TQA 10-31-2011 09:48 PM

There is ananchorage and marina on the south coast betwen Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook called Banner bay. There is a small liveaboard community there, you might get lucky there.

Ask around at the bar there.

captcore 11-08-2011 09:34 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm stuck up here in Hampton Virginia waiting for the weather to break so w can head south. I'm hoping to not miss the job opportunities.

Any other suggestions on temporary housing in the islands?

Thanks

dbrimm 11-09-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captcore (Post 795109)
Thanks for the replies. I'm stuck up here in Hampton Virginia waiting for the weather to break so w can head south. I'm hoping to not miss the job opportunities.

Any other suggestions on temporary housing in the islands?

Thanks

I've lived in St Thomas for 5 years and several in Puerto Rico too and am also a captain who's worked in the yachting and charter industry there.

Myself and quite a few friends stayed at the Crystal Palace (and Villa Fairview) in St Thomas. The two places are owned by the same guy and specialize in short term visitors. Google "crystal palace st thomas" and you'll find the site.

You can get news and want ads and everything else from USVI newspaper. Google "VI Daily News" and you'll find the site.

You should be in time for high-season which peaks in Dec but is just ramping up now. This means jobs will be easier to find but apartments will be getting more scarce as it gets deeper into season. Even in high-season apartments will not be impossible to find don't worry. Other than 'the projects' there aren't many apartment buildings in the USVI (maybe 10-20 between St Thomas - St John) and the ones there are are very small complexes not like what you'd expect from the states. The majority of apartments will be an add-on to someones house which they will rent out through word-of-mouth, networking, bulletin boards at the bar, etc.

Anyways good luck and have a kick ass trip.. :)

sarabee 11-24-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrimm (Post 795156)
I've lived in St Thomas for 5 years and several in Puerto Rico too and am also a captain who's worked in the yachting and charter industry there.

Myself and quite a few friends stayed at the Crystal Palace (and Villa Fairview) in St Thomas. The two places are owned by the same guy and specialize in short term visitors. Google "crystal palace st thomas" and you'll find the site.

You can get news and want ads and everything else from USVI newspaper. Google "VI Daily News" and you'll find the site.

You should be in time for high-season which peaks in Dec but is just ramping up now. This means jobs will be easier to find but apartments will be getting more scarce as it gets deeper into season. Even in high-season apartments will not be impossible to find don't worry. Other than 'the projects' there aren't many apartment buildings in the USVI (maybe 10-20 between St Thomas - St John) and the ones there are are very small complexes not like what you'd expect from the states. The majority of apartments will be an add-on to someones house which they will rent out through word-of-mouth, networking, bulletin boards at the bar, etc.

Anyways good luck and have a kick ass trip.. :)

We have vintage (1973) Tartan 41 racer-cruiser that we'd like to swap for 1-2 weeks with boat in Caribbean. Boat is on Lake Michigan, with a day's sail north to lovely, paradise ports of call. Interested or know anyone who might be? PLAYING WITH NEW TOYS | Race Lochaber