Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i have a 26ft paceship and i think its rated at 6'2",but the fact of the matter is your probably not going get [living in a house ] luxury in any thing less than a 48-50 ft.one million+ dollar boat,thats just the nature of the beast
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I guess I'm pretty much stuck with something over 32'. I do like several boats that fall in under that number though, mainly because of cost. I've been told that upkeep costs rise at a crazy rate as boat length increases. While I do have a budget I want to stay in, it's the annual cost of maintenance and upkeep I'm trying to keep down. That and the fact that I will probably be singlehanding.

I'm not looking for luxury and I certainly don't need anything as big as a house, but I do want to be comfortable. The Seidelmann seemed to be a nice boat. I actually learned to sail on a Catalina 27. The more I consider my intended uses of the boat in a realistic manner, the more I feel like the 33' to 38' range is where I need to concentrate.

I hope you all enjoy the weekend. Take care.
Old 11-04-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i didn't mean to sound discouraging but realistic,i love my little boat,i love sleeping on her at night when theres some chop to the water,i love knowing its ready to go on whatever impulse i might have but i've yet to see a blowboat that one could call comfortable,your always climbing up or down and repairs that come up will always be in some tiny recess but if its in your blood ,you adapt
mikieg likes this.
Old 11-05-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
i didn't mean to sound discouraging but realistic,i love my little boat,i love sleeping on her at night when theres some chop to the water,i love knowing its ready to go on whatever impulse i might have but i've yet to see a blowboat that one could call comfortable,your always climbing up or down and repairs that come up will always be in some tiny recess but if its in your blood ,you adapt
You didn't discourage me. If that's all it took, I shouldn't be anywhere near the water in the first place. I want to know what people much more experienced than myself think. I read these forums much more than I post but if I want or need to know something, I WILL pick your brains for every scrap of information I can get.

Comfort is a relative thing. I build bridges so I'm use to eating my lunch with dirty hands while sitting in a shady spot on the ground. That is much more comfortable than those days when we're soaking wet in the rain and can't eat because we're too busy. On that note, keep the advice, opinions, and suggestions coming.

I can see where having less than adequate headroom to stand in can be tolerable, even adventuresome during short trips. But as was suggested, I still think it would have to be a requirement for spending long periods aboard. After reading about all the little things that people must adapt to when they move aboard and given the tendency of sailboat listings to not mention headroom available, I was wondering if it may end up being just one more thing to adapt to. Thanks for the reality check though.
Old 11-05-2011

HPLou is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HPLou
My 1987 Watkins 29 has 6'-3" headroom which gives it a nice roomy air about it. She is well built and a real cruiser. Not fast but easy to live on.
Old 11-11-2011

extremo is on a distinguished road
6' in a Voyager 35

I am 6' and live in a Voyager 35. In the saloon I have just enough room -- barefoot. If I have shoes on or winter boots, my head will rub. There are also a few things mounted (handholds, instrument cluster, etc.) whose locations your body gets to know intuitively after several head bangs.

Of course you will need to visit (and survey) a boat before you buy, but I can see narrowing down the choices from specs could be very frustrating.
Old 11-11-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
For a live aboard - standing headroom is going to be very desirable. But note, in order to get 6'2" of honest clear headroom in a boat less than 40' many adjustments will have to be made all negatively effecting seaworthiness and sailing qualities.

Higherfreeboard

Wide beam

Excessively High cabin top

All serve to raise the weight above the waterline, decreasing stiffness.
Old 11-14-2011

sep2x is on a distinguished road
We live on our Downeaster 32 which has unreal headroom, close to 6'-9" in some places but realistically it's 6'-5". We lived on a Catalina 27' for one year before buying this boat and there is only 6'-1" headroom under the companionway, the rest is closer to 5'-10" if I had to guess. I could stand up fine, my husband could not. Now I have more headroom in our boat then I do in my office! The building is an old farm house and has very low ceilings on the 2nd floor...

Check out our blog at Sailing Seabird to learn more about our 32', and MaineLiveaboards | Where Mainers living on their boats can connect. if you're interested! I am trying to get a good online resource out there for folks who are hoping to move on board in the future.

Good luck in your search!

Sophi
Old 11-14-2011

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
For someone 6'2" tall I would suggest that you want 6'3" headroom or more throughout any areas of the boat where you would normally be standing. You can get by with stooping much of the time on a boat that you only spend weekends and the occasional longer cruise, but on a liveaboard that is going to get old REALLY fast! You don't need that above a berth, or even the "sitting area" of a head, but elsewhere...

You are going to find extremely few boats under 30' with that kind of headroom. In the 30-32 range you'll find more, but they will still probably be the minority. Get up to 34' and above and you'll find plenty of boats with the headroom you need. I am only 6' myself, but if I were looking for a liveaboard I would be focusing on boats in the 34-40 foot range. If I discovered a particular make and model that was shorter, that had the headroom and layout I wanted, I would add that to the list. But I would not spend a lot of time examining shorter boats.

Good luck.

Edited to add: Remember that when a manufacturer quotes a particular amount of headroom on a boat that is often the maximum headroom, and may only occur in one particular spot (usually in the saloon). Again, for living aboard I would not want a boat that has only ONE PLACE where I can stand fully upright. I want that headroom throughout most of the boat.

Thank you, thank you, thankyou .... I thought I was the only one left who used the correct term i.e. " saloon " .
Old 11-14-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Thank you, thank you, thankyou .... I thought I was the only one left who used the correct term i.e. " saloon " .
People don't? Hell, what else do they call it? The "living room?"

I mean, honestly, next you'll be telling me people say "right and left side of the boat" and "round windows."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased