Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011

cherokeelullabyII is on a distinguished road
Sunglasses for the Bahamas

We will soon be going to the Bahamas and need the best type of polarized sunglasses to be able to see the various shades of water for navigation purposes. What lens color is the best to help me see? I'm not interested in the most "stylish" or most expensive - just effective. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2011

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
they are expensive but I have never owned a better pair... Maui Jim, polarized, brown glass lens!
Old 10-30-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Maui Jim's or Costa del Mar's, etc. ... any color that reduces the light transmission, polarized, have UVA & UVB reduction ... and if you can afford it 'diamonized' lenses so you dont scratch hell out of them when continually wiping off the deposited microscopic salt crystals. Expensive, but are the most 'optically' clear with the minimum distortion (headache potential). .... use croakies to keep the glasses from 'going overboard' or from stepping on them.

Last edited by RichH; 10-30-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Gray for sunny days, amber to overcast. Simple, inexpensive. Believe it or not, Walmart has prescription sunglasses, and can polarize in any one of 3 colors, and can also mirror those glasses in any one of 5. Not an advertisement...

My "standard" pair for sailing and field trialing are a pair of distance prescription glasses with gray polarization and blue mirroring, mostly because they are the darkest pair of sunglasses I could get that were also polarized. They weren't cheap (because they are prescription).. I think I spent $150 for them though.

Cabelas has cheap polarized glasses in a lot of colors, for under $50.
Old 11-04-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I've got $170 into my Maui Jims. Expensive, yes, but best glasses I've ever owned.

Last edited by carl762; 11-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2011

SkywalkerII is on a distinguished road
Gotta second the Maui Jims! My have Titanium frames, so salt water is not a problem. Light, comfortable, and the best lenses. They will make them in your rx at the factory if you need it.

Skywalker
T27 249
Old 11-04-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Maui Jim's or Costa del Mar's, etc. ... any color that reduces the light transmission, polarized, have UVA & UVB reduction ... and if you can afford it 'diamonized' lenses so you dont scratch hell out of them when continually wiping off the deposited microscopic salt crystals. Expensive, but are the most 'optically' clear with the minimum distortion (headache potential). .... use croakies to keep the glasses from 'going overboard' or from stepping on them.
Agree. I prefer the Costas.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-04-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
I've had several pairs of Maui Jim's, and the lenses are second to none, especially the rose colored lenses. Personally, I find those to give the best contrast, even better than the gray or amber lenses for my blue eyes. I used to think rose lenses would distort the color spectrum too much and gravitated toward gray, but I really like the rose. That being said, the Maui Jim frames leave something to be desired. They aren't very durable, even the "sport" frames. MJ has a good repair policy and the repair prices are fantastic compared to the cost of buying new glasses from them, but it really adds up quickly. I had 3 pairs on the go at the beginning of this calendar year, and am down to one pair, and I'm really NOT that rough on them.

I just bought some $25 polarized sunglasses from a rack at a sporting goods store. I forget the brand, but they aren't anything high end (obviously). The lenses are not as good as my Maui Jim's, but for the money, I can afford to break them, drop them over the side, or scratch the heck out of them MANY times. Thus, they have become my "go-to" pair for the boat.
SHNOOL likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 11-04-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Maui Jim's !

Maui Jim's, they are hands down the best sunglasses I have ever owned, been wearing them since 1998. Their customer service is top notch as well

Discontinued models can be purchased at Costco fairly cheap, about $75 - $100, compared to a place like Sun Glass Hut where you only find the latest models at a premium price, $250+
Old 11-04-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Again, prescription, mirrored, tinted, polarized, titanium, Carribean Sun brand, from Wal-mart... now 4 years old (frames, I've redone the lenses 3 times, prescription keeps changing).

Less than Maui Jims... But again on the water go cheap, then not as painful to lose! So I heartily recommend JIMGO's post! Called it right, sounds like he's lived it too!