Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Collecting Rain water

We have been reading a lot of about cruisers collecting rain water and we have a few questions.

Keep in mind we are still a few yrs away from retiring and trading our power boat in for a live-aboard/cruising sail boat. As part of our plan we are trying to put together a list of systems we'd like to have. A water-maker seems to be considered by some as a unnecessary luxury. While others swear by them.

Our cruising plans are at first the US east and gulf coast before heading to the Islands, BVI etc. maybe after 3-5 yrs exp crossing the south pacific. Our plans do not include staying in marinas. So making our own water might be a issue.

Anyway our questions about collecting rain water, it seems simply enough but when you over think it maybe not.

Wouldn't you get all kinds of things besides rain water? Dust, bugs, salt spray, bird droppings etc?

Are you using a filter of some kind?

Are you not even putting the water in your fresh water storage tanks, maybe putting it in jugs topsides?

Do many ppl actually collect rain water? Just because we have seen stories about it online and in mags doesn't mean ppl really do. lol

I guess I'd be worried about getting things in the water tank that we can't get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
few links to look at
Rainwater Collection - resources for cruising sailors
Going Green With Sailboat Rainwater Harvesting
Atom Voyages | Collecting rain water on deck
These should give you a few ideas
Old 11-08-2011
Working for next Boat

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Part of the Rain collecting system is the Filters, also you might want to have a holding area to test the water before you let it in to the MAIN water tank.

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 11-08-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Generally in the tropical/semi tropical areas you cruise in, when it rains (and it often does not for long periods so we have a water maker too) it rains hard so you can let the first half hour or so wash off the bugs/salt etc before you start collecting.

We have a regular household filter through which all the freshwater goes. We also have a Seagull filter (very impressive specs but very pricey too) in the galley for drinking water and cooking water.

To not worry about water supply you need in order of preference and cost:
1. A couple of jerry jugs for moving water from shore sources to the boat. You will not be at docks very often to get water so you need to bring it in jugs. We also have a hand-cart for moving jugs since they get heavy in a hurrry.
2. Water collection system - specifics depend on the boat.
3. Watermaker for the ultimate water security, but if you one you need to use it fairly regularly to keep the membranes happy. A watermaker is very nice to have but obviously expensive and adds an extra level of complexity to the boat.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 11-08-2011

Thanks for the input. I figured there must be some type of filtering used.
Old 11-08-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think some people do not filter what they collect while others have two separate freshwater systems (with a manifold so they change capacities as needed) with one for drinking water and one for washing, etc. The latter is obviously pretty complicated.

It is not just rainwater that may be on dubious quality or not. We found in Papeete which is a major city for the Pacific (300,000?) that the water quality varied with how much rain they had had. After a really heavy rain the water was not particularly clean-looking although apparently biologically safe - you could smell the chlorine.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 11-08-2011

I was thinking about that issue as well. The old saying "Don't drink the water". Water filters at the sink for drinking might be the best option?
Old 11-08-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
You could install this and if you are in fresh water you could just feed it through the through hole and remove the water tank completely with this in its place and maybe some extra storage

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/store/...hp5fre485mg8t2

edit: you would also have to have a strainer inline for pre filter and a pump for pressure.
Old 11-08-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Along with good filters there is an ultra violet thingme you put in line to the drinking water outlet. Kills the bugs. Not that I recommend this but in India we bought ice for the beer and drained the water into the fresh water tank.We didn't get sick so it must have some merit.My experience with rain off the sails has always good.Never worried about it.
Old 09-12-2014

Martinp is on a distinguished road
Re: Collecting Rain water

Rainwater in the pacific is very pure, one just needs to keep it that way. I am a professional captain, sailed to over 45 countries. I use a product called Rainsnare , it goes up when or just before the rains and comes down once dry. Takes 2 minutes to setup, uses food grade materials. I have used this in many places, now cruising on my own boat in Queensland and use it as my main water supply ( am solo on a 7.5 meter Farr), really good to make beer with too.

Tags
water collection filter , water filter system

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.