Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
central-south america

has anyone done any cruising down the gulf coast of cen.or sou. america lately,how is it?,serious crime,petty crime or problems with officials and also is it really as cheap as refered to,i'm seriously thinking about it and i'm very open to opinions.thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Just hearsay from people we met last year in the Caribbean. Venezuela is very difficult and often very dangerous but it is incredibly cheap. We heard about diesel that was something like 2 cents a liter. People are very friendly but there is a lot of crime. Colombia is getting better than it has been but not altogether safe. Panama coast (eastern San Blas) apparently is fine - not cheap or expensive, there is almost nothing available to buy in the markets.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 11-16-2011

thanks,hmmm i expect one has to just see for ones self,i used to hear horror crime stories about the philippines too but in reality crime or lack of depends on your lifestyle,street smarts and the specific locality you choose to hangout in
just like the u.s.
Old 11-16-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
The Yucatan coast of Mexico, Isla Mujeres, Puerto Morelos and Cozumel are amongst the nicest places in the Caribbean...

We paid $25/day for a 55 ft boat in El Cid marina in Puerto Morelos and the town has free moorings.

It is probably the safest place we have visited in 4 yrs in the Caribbean

Puerto Morelos - Hotels tourist guide Cancun Riviera Maya Mexico
Riviera Maya Hotels- Mayan Riviera Cancún- Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Phil
Old 11-16-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Venuzuela is not on most cruisers route anymore due to recent attacks but some cruisers still visit in small groups. If you go there get an update on the officials latest inerpretation of the rules as to where you can go and for how long.

Columbia had been opening up as a possible destination but they appear to have clamped down recently making the check in process more complex.

SEE here and scroll down
Old 11-16-2011
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Took this trip last winter. Went as far south as Guatemala, friend went on to the Bay Islands. Need a good guide book (Rauscher is what I used), charts very out of date. Very strong adverse currents heading south in Yucatan Channel. Did not particularly enjoy Belize, lots of mosquitoes. Belize Port Captains running a scam for large cash "check in" payments. Definitely go to Half Moon Cay in Lighthouse Reef. More at my blog at rebootracing.blogspot.com
Old 11-16-2011

thanks for the info,i haven't really done a lot of research yet but i kindof figured i would make landfall in the far south of mex. and play it by ear from there
Old 11-16-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
I'm interested in this route, too, sawingknots. When do you plan to leave?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-16-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
thanks,hmmm i expect one has to just see for ones self,i used to hear horror crime stories about the philippines too but in reality crime or lack of depends on your lifestyle,street smarts and the specific locality you choose to hangout in
just like the u.s.
That pretty much covers it anywhere you go. Like the English language there are exceptions to the rule.

I just left the west of Costa Rica to return to Panama. I do not like the west side of the oceans, but I have not had a problem with the locals. I have also done the west coast of Baja, and P.V.. The locals were great, the food excellent, and cheap.

I have not sailed the Phiilippines, or Brasil, but it's a mattter of street smarts. Even in some poorer parts of town. Which side of Central America wil you do? The Caribbean side has the beautiful water.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 11-16-2011

the caribbean side,i don't relish the idea of using the canal,btw how are you now john?i figured you would be somewhere in asia by now,i just can't work up the nerve to do the crossing so i thought i would snoop around closer to home this winter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.